Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:51:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPolycode
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Polycode  (Read 36551 times)
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »

This particular font renders a little fuzzy and you have some options as far as font rendering strength options, but normally things look very good.
If you're not too busy right now, could you show an example with Arial? I'm interested in this.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »

Here you go:

Two examples with anti-aliasing enabled and disabled.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »

This looks really promising. I'd love to give it a spin and see what kind of cool things can be done with it.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »

I can't wait to try this out.

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »

Here you go:

Two examples with anti-aliasing enabled and disabled.

Looks great! Hand Thumbs Up Left
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

Wow this looks brilliant, does it work on any iOS devices?

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »

Looking great!

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »

Wow this looks brilliant, does it work on any iOS devices?

Currently no, but there are plans to port and make exporters for iOS, Android and OUYA in the near future.

One question: do all the libraries/frameworks need to be imported into your game? I'm thinking about a 2D platformer thing, but I've had a lot of annoyances with Box2D before, and I prefer to write my own physics. That said, do you provide collisions without Box2D so you can write your own physics code? I saw you're writing a space-metroidvania-etc. platformer game with Polycode. Are you using Box2D for that?

There is a Box2D-based 2d physics/collision library bundled with Polycode that plugs directly into its entity system to automatically simulate physics and provide collision callbacks. Outside of it, Polycode has no real collision detection built in. I find that Box2D physics are good enough for platformers if you lock rotation and set the masses real low (all stuff thats easy to setup in Polycode). That said, you can easily add your own code. In C++ you can do whatever you want, naturally and on the Lua side, there is a module system where you can setup and load C++ libraries dynamically and bundle them with your app.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »

I've kind of been purposely keeping Polycode abstract from any kind of game-specific code. I actually don't even call it a game engine (outside of these forums) because I dont' want to limit people's thinking in what it can be used for. (I actually mostly use it for large-scale installations and 3d stuff myself). So adding in platformer collision code is too game-specific for me and if adding generic non-game optimized collisions seems like a waste of time when Box2D can provide collisions already (there is a way in Polycode to just use it for collision tracking without any physics). I feel that the 2d and 3d physics/collisions libraries that are a part of Polycode do a good job of walking the line between specificity and generic function, and if you want to do anything more specific, you should implement it yourself.

Maybe I can get Adam to port Flixel to it Smiley

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »

if game libraries can be ported to it like that, i would be a very happy person.

are there any functions for file loading/saving?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

I've been really interested in Polycode for a long time but I've never really gotten into trying it. The new editor and features sound really exciting! I'll definitely keep it in mind for my next project.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »

WTF
are there any functions for file loading/saving?

Polycode has an Object class that's basically a nested data tree which you can save/load to/from XML or binary formats. A lot of Polyode's binary files like 2d entities and sprites use this system.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

Alexanderpine try to merge your posts

Also Ivan, this is some crazy progress. Are you planning to get it out as a commercial solution?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »

Alexanderpine try to merge your posts

Also Ivan, this is some crazy progress. Are you planning to get it out as a commercial solution?

Oops, didn't see your question before. No, it will always be free and opensource, but it's going to be my main project for many years to come and hopefully others will join me to make it a tool worthy of competing with commercial engines.

Also, here's a shot of the code editor in the Polycode IDE:

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 06:54:54 AM »

snip

If this ever goes into a private beta, pick me  Beg

The editor looks awesome. Is there a full-screen option for the Polycode IDE? If not is it possible you can make one?
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »

sexy IDE

Whoah. How did you manage to write GUI for such colored editbox for your IDE? Again, you wrote it yourself with OpenGL only?

Whoah.

The editor looks awesome. Is there a full-screen option for the Polycode IDE? If not is it possible you can make one?

Stupid question. Name one thing Ivan can't do.

Evil

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »

When do you think this will be available to us?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »

Just wanted to say this looks really cool.  An open source alternative to Unity is indeed greatly needed.  From what I've read, I really like the approach you've taken with the editor/library in general (except I'll have to learn to like lua Tongue).  Thanks for sharing all your hard work.  I can't wait!

When do you think this will be available to us?

Last I heard, the release date is feb 1st.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »

Feb 1st if the tentative date, yes. My schedule is always in a little bit of a flux, so it's hard to promise exact dates (a mistake that I already twice made Smiley. All I can say is that it's getting really close to where I want it for first release and I will release it as soon as I can.

kinifi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »

This looks better and better. Way to go Ivan! I can't wait to see it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic