Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1074125 Posts in 44036 Topics- by 36039 Members - Latest Member: maimeo

December 22, 2014, 04:03:10 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeAudioPlease tell me how terrible I am.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please tell me how terrible I am.  (Read 745 times)
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »

Alright, so I've been wanting to get into composing music for games for a while now. For some reason though,
I've been putting off doing some very important things (Including making an account here.) For way too long.

Because of this, I've never really received criticism from anyone who knows anything about music.

Soooooooooooooo... Do your worst.

http://soundcloud.com/justsometoast

NOTE: The songs aren't entirely in chronological order.

Oh god this banner is hideous.
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »

Nice stuff man! Really enjoying the chip melodies, keep it up Coffee
HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Face

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »

I'm sorry to say that your music has cancer...

...AWESOME cancer that is!  Aha!  But no seriously...
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »

You're good and you should feel good.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Sean Hogan (seagaia)
Level 10

Coupons

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »

None of the songs are bad, they're all put together well, they're all good enough to find some sort of game that they would fit pretty well in.

If I had to be really, really nitpicky, I'd say that they were lacking in personality. By that I mean that they tended to the generic side - I could see a largish-set of possible games the songs could fit, rather than just a very specific one - like I'd enjoy the music as I played the game but I wouldn't remember the song afterwards.

Of course it's hard to say how to "add personality" with game music, and it's not appropriate to do so for every scenario - it's just my personal preference to like game music that I can tie to specific experiences, which is why I brought it up. Just something to think about? Keep it up!

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »

self-deprecation in your signature as well!

You've got a solid foundation but it doesn't sparkle. You're doing nothing really wrong is what I'm trying to say.
I think I agree with seagaia on the generic front. I think the electronic stuff placed alongside other electronic stuff would come off as pretty tame and wouldn't particularly stand out. Same with the orchestral track.

It seems your main focus is on electronic stuff so I'd try and focus on upping production values (quite vague advice, i know), getting more experimental with your use of synths/effects to get some more unique sounds. Also, just generally I'd suggest trying to break out of using triads, 2 or 4 chord repeated sequences, staying in one key, sticking to 4/4. That'll help separate your tracks from the herd greatly. You'll notice that those who are successful are those who's styles are unique and generally who's music is really interesting and well thought-out & developed!

Generally, though, you're pretty much ready, you just need to make things shine and stand out from everyone else. I'm sure there'll be people more than happy to work with you and you only really learn by doing, so go for it!

Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll be sure to take all of this stuff into account during future projects.

And speaking of the future, expect a new song to be posted on my soundcloud later today.

Oh god this banner is hideous.
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »

Dude you're wicked sick. Really.
Loving your stuff all the way through.

Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »

A lot of your songs don't really have a coherent melody. They've got leads that just sort of meander on aimlessly. A big part of writing strong tunes is understanding how the lead melody interacts with the bass. Listen to some of your favorite songs and try to identify your favorite parts - what are the melody and bass doing at these parts?

Part of what makes your main tunes kind of boring is that you use the same chord progressions over and over. Try to be a little more experimental. As you learn more about the way melodies and basses interact, you'll get a better understanding of chord progression. For now, try to force yourself to write in different chords and maybe different time signatures.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic