Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:27:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAbundant Music: Online Procedural Music Editor
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Abundant Music: Online Procedural Music Editor  (Read 32496 times)
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »

What kind of server do you need?

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:45 AM »

What kind of server do you need?

The best would be a dedicated windows server. I can probably port the server to linux (or similar), but then I'll have to replace some of the software.

Any good suggestions would be much helpful! Smiley

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:09 AM »

Update 5

The editor will be put online some day this week for everyone.

I have decided that the resulting songs will initially become public domain, so anyone can use it for anything, except claiming copyright... I don't know if this is a wise decision. The main reason for this is to prevent someone from claiming copyright of a song with seed "123" and prevent everyone else from using it.

Also, I dumped windows and ported it to linux instead Wink

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »

yay!
i understand the need for the songs to be public domain but at the same time its pretty sad, but making your own license might work like you can own the specific song but anyone that uses the editor to create their own "version" will also own it or something like that
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 06:46:54 AM »

Update 6

The server is online here:

Abundant Music

Some things are still a little shaky such as "terms of use", tutorials and rendering of mp3s/Oggs. Sometimes there are missing instruments but they are available in the midi.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:19:29 AM by krasse » Logged

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »

Update 6

The server is online here:

Abundant Music

Some things are still a little shaky such as "terms of use", tutorials and rendering of mp3s/Oggs. Sometimes there are missing instruments but they are available in the midi.

have been toying around with it a little and its fucking sweet! the only thing i really miss is the ability to upload your own voices.
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »

You can export the midi file and render it with Synthfont for example. It is pretty easy to use and supports VSTI and soundfonts.

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

oh nice!  Toast Left Smiley Toast Right
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:58 AM »

Update 7

I have added a very simple web audio player that only can use one instrument and no percussion. The plan is to make it possible to create your own instruments and render songs on the client.
I think that Chrome is the only browser that supports web audio so far but Firefox will probably do that in the future as well.

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »

Update 8

Web audio player supports percussion now.
The problem with rendered mp3s and oggs have been solved. Now it is possible to export with SNES and GXSCC soundfonts as well.

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 12:36:56 AM »

I am currently working on better and more in-depth tutorials.

Do you have a feature that you feel is missing?

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »

I am currently working on better and more in-depth tutorials.

Do you have a feature that you feel is missing?

well the only thing i can think of is templates but i can imagine that might be hard to make
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

I'm so glad to see a project like this. I've begun the tutorials, and I'll chime in on them as I progress through them.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
mrfunkyland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »

This is really fascinating. Keep up the good work.

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »

Update 9

Added some longer and hopefully better tutorials:

Table of Contents
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:27:24 AM by krasse » Logged

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:34 AM »

Update 10

I am working on a "light server"-version that does all the composing and exporting in the browser. It is not online yet and my current version can only export Midi files so far.
The browser has to support workers, Blobs, typed arrays and object URLs for this to work though. The latest versions of Chrome and Firefox seem to support this.
Later on, I want to be able to render wav files in the browser with offline contexts in web audio (cool stuff Smiley ).

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »

oh i came to think of a feature i miss, making songs loopable, anyway i love it!
Joxno
Level 0

Complexity from Simplicity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »

This is absolutely mind-blowing for me, I've essentially been obsessed with this application for the past few days and I'm constantly toying about with it even though I hardly understand what 20% of the stuff does as of yet but I'll get there eventually.

In terms of a feature I'd love to have would be when using song structures that when you're playing the song you can see at what section you're in currently. So if it's in a Misc2 section or Chorus1 it'll display it somewhere.
I think that'd be quite handy when trying to tweak some sections of the song.

Something that I think would be amazing is if there was a standalone Library of this. Because then it'd allow for games to do really cool music layering.

Example being able to generate some kind of bass-line and then as you move throughout the game you can generate melodies on-the-fly and fade them in on-top of the bass-line depending on certain presets.

[Here]'s something small I made after a few hours of mucking about with your program and I'm abysmal at creating music.

Anyways, keep up the amazing work!

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »

Very good suggestions. That song sounds like a piece from the good old baroque days, nicely done!
It is absolutely time for some additions to the visualizer that can display the section types and also what instruments are used and what colors they are represented with.
Loopable songs are also a nice addition, I guess that you mean chopping up the mp3 into an intro and then the middle part? I can't support embedded loops until I implement IT export right?

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

yeah i didn't mean embedded loops just songs where the beginning and end fits together, splitting it up in an intro and middle is actually more than i thought of.
i also want to say that this application is the best thing i have seen pretty much and i truly love it, i like jaxno only understand maybe 10-20% of it but just trying stuff is really fun and rewarding!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic