Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:16:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDefez 2: Refez
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Defez 2: Refez  (Read 6300 times)
increpare
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »

Following on from his brave victory over the supreme evil overloard in the previous game, Emmanuel Defez, transdimensional explorer extraordinaire, returns to the same caverns to retreive his wristwatch, what he accidentally dropped down a well in his final confrontation.

Prepare for action like you've never witnessed from a Defez game.  Excitement and thrills over the course of 100 action-packed levels, and a final boss even more awesome than the last one!

DOWNLOAD FOR OSX 10.5 | WIN (580kb)

----------
-controls-
----------

UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT ... movement if you're on a 1d screen, otherwise close down to a 1D world on the horizontal/vertical line you are at

SPACE - open up the 2d world

(much love to terry for building the windows version for me, who art eternally too lazy to reassemble my windows pc for the task)

(source code is included in the windows version)

(also, once again: cheers to terry for compiling the windows version)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:53:52 AM by increpare » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:28:20 PM »

Damn. That one was actually really fun. I enjoyed it for a while. My feedback is to remove the annoying sound that chimes when you move from 2D into 1D, or just make the switch smoother.

I played until I reached yet another impossible level, the one looking like a castle, or perhaps a speech balloon. It was really fun, though! Beer!
increpare
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »

I played until I reached yet another impossible level,
heresy!  It's entirely possible, I'll have you know.  You're clearly not up to the task  Wink

Cheers for the comment; I'm honestly surprised anyone played it through failed miserably getting barely a quarter-way through the game.

Comments about sounds noted, and will be acted upon, though more likely to be implemented in Defez 3 (which is more or less finished) rather than a modification of this game.  Talk of smoothness...I can't entertain now, much as I would like to had I the time.

(I'm really trying for an exploratory angle at the moment: time constraints rather limit my ability to revise anything...)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:04:40 PM by increpare » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »

I think it's a bit awkward ... it takes some time to understand the notation, and there's a neat moment of realization when you do, but after that it's just simple mazes which are hard to read.  I had fun sort of trying to draw out the 2D maze in my head as I played, but as is it still probably has too many levels for the single 'moment of realization' that the mechanic has to offer.

The core is definitely neat ... it maps a bit better to full fez in a way since it sort of captures the 'sided-ness' of that world (where you can walk around a tower, etc).

I like the impossible level thing in both this and defez ... it requires a bit more rigorous thought to say, okay, this is why this is impossible.

Anyway, I'm definitely loving these from an 'interesting experiment' point of view -- can't wait for v3! Smiley

Cheers for the comment; I'm honestly surprised anyone played it through failed miserably getting barely a quarter-way through the game.
... okay, I admit I looked at the source after you said this 
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »

Wow, you actually made it work! Quite well, might I add. Good demake; I would have voted for it in the competition.

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 11:25:45 PM »

All the solutions I found were random and intuitive instead of actually thought-up and deducted, so in that way it's an excellent Fez demake. :D

It's fun and original, but I get stuck and then I close the window. I think the notation is too cryptic for me.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:52:55 AM »

Thanks for responses.

I had fun sort of trying to draw out the 2D maze in my head as I played,
I had fun getting the map editor to do it (possible spoiler).

but as is it still probably has too many levels for the single 'moment of realization' that the mechanic has to offer.
You're right.  100 levels was probably stretching it a bit.

As for the 'sided-ness', you're absolutely right.  That's why I decided it would be fun to prototype and offer richer possibilities than the basic version.  I didn't realize at the time that what would result would be essentially maze-navigation.

All the solutions I found were random and intuitive instead of actually thought-up and deducted, so in that way it's an excellent Fez demake. :D
heh
heheheh
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:16:41 AM by increpare » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:59:54 AM »

I had fun getting the map editor to do it (possible spoiler).
Awesome, I was going to ask about what you used to make the levels.  (but then forgot)

I didn't realize at the time that what would result would be essentially maze-navigation.
Yeah -- it's very hard to know without trying it!  I had thought about this kind of idea before too, and had trouble knowing how it would work out because I didn't bother to prototype it, so I definitely appreciate your work here Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic