Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:53:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: ⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶  (Read 60237 times)
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »

Saw this posted in the Screenshot Saturday thread. The colors look great. Following!

FE_Game
Level 0

FINAL ELEMENT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »

OMG this looks amazing!! The game title is very clever Tongue

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »

Featured on TIGTumblr and in #gaming!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »

Featured on TIGTumblr and in #gaming!

Thanks for the mention (Assuming it was you)!

Johnix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »

Any updates? I've been following this beautiful game for a while now.
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2014, 04:32:03 AM »

So, as most of you probably guessed, Traversia was abandoned long ago.  However, I recently started a new project called Rangers, which uses a lot of assets from Traversia, and has a very similar atmosphere.

I made a timelapse video showing off the day/night cycle in it, and I figured instead of making a separate thread for Rangers (I'm going to wait a while until I do that), I'd just post it here, since it's essentially a reboot of Traversia.

Enjoy.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2015, 01:07:38 AM »

NOTE: ALL POSTS BEFORE THIS ONE WERE FOR MY PREVIOUS PROJECT, TRAVERSIA!

I decided to reuse this thread for my current project, Rangers, since Traversia and Rangers had a lot of similarities, to the point that I reused most of the assets from Traversia for it.  And since it's basically a continuation of Traversia, albeit a different game.

I've posted info and screenshots and whatnot in the opening post, and will be updating this thread regularly.  Also, I made an updated timelapse video for Rangers:

Anyway, thanks for checking out the devlog, and stay tuned for more updates!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:24:10 PM by Forstride » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2015, 01:34:29 AM »

So... what's different between the two games?

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2015, 02:15:35 AM »

Traversia was more of a linear, story-based platformer, whereas Rangers is a survival/exploration game.  Rangers is more open-ended when it comes to gameplay, although it'll also have story elements backing it.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2015, 03:59:30 AM »

Cool, that's more the kinda game I'd want to play.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »

Just finished the file select and saving/loading system.  Apparently Game Maker has game_save/game_load functions that basically save the state of the game completely, which is definitely something I needed to save the state of objects and whatnot.  So it uses that, and then also loads data from an .ini file as sort of a "double check" or whatever you'd call it.

Made a .gif of the file selection screen as well:

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2015, 07:08:49 AM »

Looks great!

For Ethereal, I was having issues when trying to use the game_save/game_load functions... though I can't remember exactly what they were. Coding a custom save system turned out to be pretty easy with ini files anyway, so if you have any issues at all I'd recommend abandoning the native functions completely.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »

That's what I was doing at first, but I completely forgot about saving object states for stuff like trees that have been cut down, plants that have been harvested, etc.  I couldn't really think of a way to do it, so I just resorted to using the game_save/game_load functions.

I'm thinking I could maybe have .ini files for every room, and then have it save info for objects that need it (Like trees, since you can cut them done, and they obviously shouldn't just magically repair themselves when you load the game) on an instance-by-instance basis.  Then when the game loads, it just checks the instance id and pulls the info for that instance from the .ini file.

EDIT: Test this out, and it works!  No more sketchy built-in save system!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:52:33 PM by Forstride » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:29 PM »

Nice! Yeah, that would work. Are you going to make a level editor for the game? I recently discovered they're my favorite thing to program.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »

Probably not.  The map in the game isn't randomly generated or anything, and while my current method of mapping would work easily with random generation (And I guess a level editor at that), I feel like having a pre-made world with lots of detail would be better.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »

Wouldn't that be MORE reason to make a level editor? So players can make their own worlds. Tongue (and it might make it a lot easier for you to design levels in the long run)

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2015, 12:48:10 AM »

So...I've gotten the desire to work on this again.  Not sure how long it'll last, but whatever.

I finished up some of the beach tileset stuff I was too lazy to do before, changed how the camera works (So that rooms with more "vertical" areas work well with it), added a white outline to the player to help with contrast issues (Not sure if I'm going to keep this or not though), created a new "inner forest" background, and some other minor stuff.

I also updated the opening post with some new screenshots, and changed the "description" of the game to something I feel is more appropriate.  I'm uncertain with the direction I want to take the game, and I've realized that I shouldn't just try to rush myself to come up with something when I don't even know what I want.

For now, I'm just going to be creating cool environments in the game, and just mapping out random areas and whatnot.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »

BEES!

They start chasing you if you get too close, and will retreat back to their hive if you jump in water or leave the area.

Going to make it so if you shoot the hive, it destroys it, and the bees just vanish.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2015, 06:29:10 AM »

Not a whole lot to share, although I've fixed up some stuff and added a few things...

- Fixed jumpthrough blocks.  Before, I wasn't able to have more than 1 jumpthrough block in an area where the player would collide with 2 at the same time (Like in a vertical line), due to the way I was checking for jumpthrough blocks below the player.  However, I realized I could easily fix this, and did.

- Added gamepad support.  Right now, it treats every controller as an Xbox One controller, as far as GUI icons go, but I'll be adding PS4 controller icons eventually, and maybe 360/PS3 (Although AFAIK, the PS3 buttons looks the same as PS4).

- Changed the winter foliage colors from a really dull green, to a nice orangish-brown color.  You'll also notice that the pine trees and water plants have a yellowish-green color, and it's because they use the color from the previous season (Except for Spring, which has more blueish pine trees/water plants).

Up next on my to-do list is...

- Climbing.  Should be pretty simple to add, considering I added swimming, which was always something I thought would be really hard to add for some reason.

- Crawling.  This might be weird, since it'll change the hitbox of the player to be 1 tile high instead of 1 and 1/2, and no other movement actions change that as of now.  This will probably be the last movement-related thing I add, unless I think of anything else.

- Map Concepts.  I want to plan out the map in the game so I can just map out a bunch of areas to explore.  For the most part, the game is going to take place in a forest, but there will also be some beaches/lakes, swamps, fields, mountains, caves, and so on.

- Ambiance.  I've already added a lot of ambient things, like the different creatures that are only there for visual effect, ambient sounds, and so on, and I want to add more.  First thing is probably going to be fish and other water creatures, like frogs, and maybe crocodiles for the swamp area.  Tongue

--------

It's been fun working on the game again, and so far, I haven't really hit any major roadblocks, aside from not really knowing what direction I want to take the game.  But, I can still work on core stuff, and other things that would be there regardless of how the game turns out.

Liger
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »

Hi,

Are you still working on this game? I write music and would love to be a part of this. If you're interested you'll find my music here https://open.spotify.com/album/1tlOC3aSiEEDzlG9bm3dEF
https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos (I made the videos as well)
https://soundcloud.com/olasandberg

I'd be super into making more digital music towards the "bitty" sort of lo-fi stuff. But I'm still into ambient music, think the two would combine well. I'm currently studying music production and will begin my last year this fall and get my bachelors degree next year. If my grammar is a bit off I blame being from Sweden.

Get back to me if you're interested.
Best,
Ola
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic