Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:57:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: ⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶  (Read 60190 times)
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:47:05 AM »

Rangers is being developed in Game Maker: Studio.  I've been working on it since August 2014, although it's sort of a "continuation" of an older project of mine named Traversia (Which is what this thread was originally for), from which I re-used a lot of assets.  The game has been rebuilt from scratch, with much more organized code, easier level tiling, and so on.

Here's a comparison image I made showing when I first started working on Traversia, compared to what Rangers is like now: http://i.imgur.com/hglkl40.png

Right now, the game has...

- Platforming (Walking, Jumping, Swimming, Crouching, Crawling, Climbing)
- Day/Night Cycle
- Seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter)
- Weather (Sun, Rain, Snow, Clouds, Wind, Fog, Mist, Rainbows, Aurora Borealis)
- Ambient Visuals and Sounds
- Save File Management
- Gamepad Support
- Inventory
- Textboxes

-----------

I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to take the game just yet.  My original idea was a survival game where thirst, hungry, body temperature, and so on played an important part, but I'm not really sure if that's actually what I want to do.

I've also thought about making it an "exploration game" with a lot of different areas, but how would I add gameplay that isn't just wandering around endlessly.  Maybe throw some puzzles in?  Quests?  IDK.

For now, I'm just working on the core of the game and creating cool environments that are appealing to me.

-----------

Here are some screenshots of the game:

-----------

The music for Rangers is being done by Tim Rurkowski.  He's been doing music for my games for a few years now, and has already done a few tracks that were originally for Traversia, which I'm reusing for Rangers.

You can check out his SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/trurkowski

-----------

Feel free to follow me on the following networks to receive updates on the game and other stuff:

-----------

For those wondering, this thread was previously used for an older project of mine called Traversia, which I stopped working on a while ago.  It had a lot of similarities to Rangers, so I reused most of the assets from Traversia, as I really liked them and didn't want them to go to waste, and started on Rangers as a new project from scratch.

I figured I'd just reuse this thread, since Rangers is basically a continuation of Traversia, but rebooted as a completely different game.

-----------

NOTE: ALL POSTS UNTIL PAGE 7 WERE FOR MY PREVIOUS PROJECT, TRAVERSIA!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:23:27 AM by Forstride » Logged

Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »

Game Maker bros fer life! It looks pretty so far. I'd like to see more when it's ready as well as some things in motion.
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »

Lava, vines, mushrooms, and ship parts.

Not sure if I should tone down the lighting for the lava.  Or maybe like rectangular lighting for it.

Each room will contain at least 1 ship part, but some might contain more than 1.  Not all of them require taking a hidden path to access, as some might be obtained by completing a puzzle or defeating an enemy.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »

Lol, I feel the character would be better as and orb of light. But anyway - aside from that your doing a really awesome job with the ambiance of the game. Subbed!
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »

Lol, I feel the character would be better as and orb of light. But anyway - aside from that your doing a really awesome job with the ambiance of the game. Subbed!
Funny you should mention that, because that was what it was going to be originally.  I still have the light orb thing I did, and I'll probably reuse it for something else in the game.

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

Shocked Great pixel art
I love it!  Blink
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »

It's very pretty so far!  I look forward to seeing this exist.  Smiley
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

I'm not sure the lava even matches the rest of the game's scenery.  And the glow on it is really overpowering and kind of ruins the mood of the underground area.  Perhaps replace it with black tar, or something.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »

I'm liking the colors.  Good luck with this.

poe
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »

Looks great to me Smiley
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »

Love the screenshots. Hope to hear more about the gameplay and story!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »

I'm not sure the lava even matches the rest of the game's scenery.  And the glow on it is really overpowering and kind of ruins the mood of the underground area.  Perhaps replace it with black tar, or something.
How's this?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »

Still not liking it.  I think the less you make it glow, the less it looks like lava, so it's kind of a catch 22.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »

I liked the lava the first time! I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it matches the game style perfectly.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

snip

Agreed
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »

Alright, I changed it back to how it was before.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »

snip

Sweet. Looking forward to more updates!
ClayB
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

it would be cool if the lava light had a yellowish/orangish tint, that'd improve it imo
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:32 AM »

I think the lava looks different because it's the only thing in the scene that's a solid color, instead of having shades and variations.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »

I think that it should look like the original version, but the glow should be smaller and if your engine allows it, the light should probably be a little red/orange/yellow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic