Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:18:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: ⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶  (Read 59996 times)
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:35 PM »

What a lovely view from up here!  Tongue

Aside from adding a neat little treehouse stand thing, I tweaked the colors of tree trunks a bit.  They have more contrast and are a bit darker, and it really makes them stand out more.  Here's another screenshot to show it off:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:27:52 PM by Forstride » Logged

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »

New textbox design:

Something felt off with the old design, so I added icons to show who/what the dialogue is from (In this case, it's a sign), and then I made the text box look like it had an inlay, which looks a lot nicer than the old style that matched most of the other HUD elements.

I also have these "cinematic borders" as I like to call them, which only appear during textboxes for now, but will appear during cutscenes and stuff later on as well.

I redesigned the HUD a bit as well, and added a health meter to it:

siskavard
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »

looking fantastic!
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »

looking fantastic!

Thanks dude!  I've been making some pretty good progress on it lately, which is kind of unlike me when it comes to game development.  Tongue

----

Last night, I worked on key config stuff, and setup the font/text system to allow for all of the different key icons needed.  I just have to add an actual key config menu now, which shouldn't be too much trouble.

Also, I had posted a GIF of the new text box stuff in the big GIF thread on here last night, but I made some changes to the player portrait, so I figured I'd share an updated GIF here:

Noyemi K
Level 0

[ * ] - we are all so hapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »

That's a lively little world; looks fun! I especially like all the small touches with the animation.  Coffee
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2015, 02:29:52 AM »

Thanks!  Making a lively world is probably my biggest goal with Rangers, and is what I've spent the most time on honestly.

--------

In other news, I just got done adding support for dialogue choices in textboxes:

(Also, just a side note, the dialogue in the final game probably won't be as quirky in most cases, but I figured I'd have some fun while testing stuff out.  Tongue)

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2015, 05:01:09 AM »

Aurora Borealis (With tons of GIF compression!):

(Static image with no compression: http://i.imgur.com/n5mAs0c.png)

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2015, 05:11:41 AM »

from that seasons picture I was afraid that there won't be winter, but there is :3

and fuck me, I love that background!!!  Kiss

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2015, 05:14:43 AM »

Thanks!

Yeah, the winter grass has an orangish-brown color.  The ground doesn't get covered in snow until it actually snows in game, and it piles up on individual grass tiles randomly.  As for the aurora borealis, it actually appears after it snows, similar to how rainbows can appear after it rains (Although the chances of the aurora appearing is a lot higher).

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »

Wow this game looks so interesting. I really get a sense of an appreciation for nature here. Isn't it funny that we've evolved to create technology only to use said technology to pay tribute to the nature from which we arose?

I'll be keeping an eye out for this puppy!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »

Heh, yeah, it's interesting in a way I suppose.  I've always been a "fan" of nature I guess?  Not sure how else to describe it.  I just really like natural environments, both in real life, and in digital creations.

My dream game has always been something where the player is surrounded by nature, and it's definitely shown with past projects of mine as well.  In fact, when I was like 13 years old or so (I'm 23 now for comparison), I originally wanted to make some kind of simplistic game where all the player does is hike along a trail in a lush forest.  I guess that idea is still somewhat alive in Rangers, but it's expanded on a lot more.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2015, 01:05:30 AM »

yeah, gotta agree, I spent like 13 years of my life living deep in a forest and I have to admit that I loved those times, just biking around the woods in whatever direction, running with wooden sword fighting the trees, looking for mushrooms, great times

now whenever I end up in a forest (and it's ultra rare these times Sad ) I end up just looking around in awe, I need to go to the woods more often I guess

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »

yeah, gotta agree, I spent like 13 years of my life living deep in a forest and I have to admit that I loved those times, just biking around the woods in whatever direction, running with wooden sword fighting the trees, looking for mushrooms, great times

now whenever I end up in a forest (and it's ultra rare these times Sad ) I end up just looking around in awe, I need to go to the woods more often I guess

Dang, that sounds awesome.  I used to go up to a cabin in the mountains near where I live with my grandpa and uncles when they would go up for deer hunting season every year, and it was amazing to just walk around in the woods, or sit out on the porch and take everything in.  Haven't been up there in like 4 years or so sadly, but I've been thinking about going up by myself in the summer, and might start doing that next year.

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »

Holy fizzle! Get this game up on Greenlight and made! Looks tremendous.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »

Thanks!  A bit too early for Greenlight or anything like that IMO.  I'm not really on a schedule with development, so I have no idea when the game would be finished, and Greenlight is more for finished games anyway AFAIK.

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »

Thanks!  A bit too early for Greenlight or anything like that IMO.  I'm not really on a schedule with development, so I have no idea when the game would be finished, and Greenlight is more for finished games anyway AFAIK.

Totally understand but don't sell yourself short. You have been working for a while on this one and sometimes a little extra push or exposure can help you reach that tipping point. Definitely don't do anything your aren't excited about but from my own personal experience - more got 'done' on Boss 101 once we started being more public about it with things like Greenlight. There is an option on Steam for even earlier projects if you don't want to post on Greenlight but that your call of course.

Really though - you're making great progress and from what you are saying you are having fun and guess what - THAT'S WHAT MATTERS MOST! YES!!!!

-Tim

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2015, 10:38:31 PM »

Beautiful artwork going on here.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »

Looks solid like always. Haven't read everything in the thread (from 7+) yet, or listened to Tim's music, but I'm definitely excited to see where this goes.
The art is a lot more refined than it was before, and the vibe of the game is fantastic. Good luck!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »

Been a bit quiet lately, but I have some cool news to share.

I recently set up a Patreon page for people who want to support my game development by becoming patrons, and have made preview builds of Rangers available to those who pledge $5 or more!  You also get preview builds of my other project, Empyrean.

If you're interested, and want to support me, while getting something in return, check out my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/forstride

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »

Really nice looking graphic style.  Grin  Especially, with the background being animated with various effects (e.g. small animals moving).

Just quickly looked at a few pages and agree that the game has nice meditative style.

The only thing that seems off is this night scene:

It feels different from the other images.  Don't know how to describe it exactly, but perhaps "flat" might come close.

However, the sunset scene in your Park Timelapse video and especially this image

do look great.  So, possibly adding more "shine" to that image would make it match to the style of the other images.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic