Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:49:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMagical Unicorn Adventure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Magical Unicorn Adventure  (Read 29908 times)
Krypt
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »

I wanted to call it "My Unicorn Friend."

=================
DWARVEN FORGE GAMES
=================
Renton
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »

Pegacorns, ftw. Even the name is pure awesome.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 06:02:08 PM »

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who expected the player character to be torn apart into a bloody mess at any moment. I thought there might be something wrong with me. Wink

This game is going to have some kind of warning on it so that diabetic players don't lose control of their blood sugar levels, right? Wink

Needs more puppies. Wink
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »

Nice to see you posting here, Hawk! You should stick around, it's a good forum!

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 07:13:19 AM »

Okay, I've given myself some time to mull it over before responding so I think I can make my statements.

Bandwagon jumpers every one of you. You should be ashamed. The only reason you like this game is because of the title. If they had taken SMB3 and respritee it with unicorns and called it "Magical Unicorn Adventure" you would have all be jizting over it as much as this. It's a standard grappling hook game with unicorns that serve as nothing more than summonable platforms. Change the unicorns for grey blocks and the game would be no different.

A proper MUA would have either:
  • started out looking innocent (no spikes) and then mind rape the player (insanely difficult gameplay or exceptionally annoying gameplay would do the trick) or
  • Started out looking like a brawler with a helpless kid who has magical unicorns come out of nowhere to fight baddies for him.
Try to at least work within the framework of established memes.

Here, educate yourself.
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF103-Nice_Shirt.gif

http://www.shakespearesden.com/11554.html

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »

I'm pretty relieved that this time I'm at least not the only one who can't bring himself to find this all that appealing just because it has unicorns. I was starting to think I might have turned into some jaded, cynical person.

Well, I actually might have.
increpare
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 07:36:31 AM »

I'm pretty relieved that this time I'm at least not the only one who can't bring himself to find this all that appealing just because it has unicorns.
The 'appeal' of it for me lies with the weirdness of it.  It has as much to do with the player's umbilical grappling hook and belly-flopping as anything.  It's just so weird.  And I don't think any polish could make it seem any less so, without rewriting major parts: polish would just make it even more...preposterous... (if something's worth doing it's worth taking it all the way, right? ).

That said:

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 07:57:07 AM »

Better idea:

Magical Unicron Adventure
Seth
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

yeah, I think this is pretty silly.  It seems like a joke game, and it rides (or hangs) on the unicorn theme too much

Which surprises me, Hawk, because your games are usually more interesting than this
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 08:05:24 AM »

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »

quoted for posterity

I like where this is going.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »

Bandwagon jumpers every one of you. You should be ashamed. The only reason you like this game is because of the title. ... It's a standard grappling hook game with unicorns that serve as nothing more than summonable platforms. Change the unicorns for grey blocks and the game would be no different.

Speak for yourself dude.  I like the look of this game because it's totally whacked, not because of unicorns, and not because other people like it. 

And yes, if the unicorn was replaced by a grey block it would be completely different.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »

I'm agreeing with Deadeye, here. The unicorn is sufficiently wacky to be amusing, and the grappling hook in general is hilarious in my eyes. Keep in mind, this game was made for a competition. It's pretty likely not going to have exactly the level of polish you would expect from a game you have much more time to complete.
arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

Keep in mind, this game was made for a competition. It's pretty likely not going to have exactly the level of polish you would expect from a game you have much more time to complete.

Here are indie games in the same contest that had the same amount of time.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=c34dc09d-569f-414c-878c-665b67a51115

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=49e806a0-4866-4d4b-b7d0-9993042adf07

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=7cacdd73-c857-4e70-812e-f9a2a76d829f

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=8f69635d-b621-4519-9c8b-05a7d69b39b2

edit: but of course this is probably going to be better because those are boring and they took too much effort to polish and stuff and this is "wacky"

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=1b577118-067e-4539-93ad-43a2bc57bf20

I enjoy a silly game now and then and laughed when I first saw MUA, but don't slap people that put all that work and effort into the contest in the face either by implying that you can't get any more polish in that in three months! There are quite a few polished entries in Dream Build Play and while the trend here tends to be more meme based (and my entry has TONS of retarded, stupid stuff, so it's not like I can't relate), it seems kind of...wrong to ignore the effort that other people put into more traditional titles; especially given that they are working out of their basements/after school just like the praised designers here.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:43:47 PM by arrogancy » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »

I think the difference for me is that all of those have very traditional forms of gameplay (whether they are polished or not), whereas this one at least has something kind of innovative -- and yes, there are games like this, but only like ten other games like this total, whereas there are thousands of games like the ones you link to, so this is exploring an underexplored subgenre (platformers with string physics) and adding something slightly new to it, whereas those are exploring overexplored subgenres like mario clone, shooter, tennis game, beat'em'up, etc.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2008, 08:04:22 PM »

Although I do agree that it could and should have more polish, and that there seem to be big problems with it -- the largest is that it uses the facade of a "young girl game" while being a game that'll probably be extremely frustrating to most young girls.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »

For me, it's the title: "Magical Unicorn Adventure". It's just too obvious, too much a play on a sickly sweet theme. It just has to be a parody, so you check it out, see the cheesy graphics and gameplay, that overexaggerated belly-flop jump, and think.... damn, any second now, any second, some gigantic blade is going to rip out of the ground and cut them in half, or the unicorn will go all PBF (*- see below) on you, or the grappling hook will tear out someone's heart, or... or...

Ahem. Gentleman

And then the video finishes, and you are still thinking "damn, there's got to be another vid out there, where it's all going to happen". I think deep down I want to find that video, even though in my heart I know it is not there.

Of course, that's the sort of process your mind goes through when you read a comic like this:

Wink
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »

There's also this, which most of you have probably seen:

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »

edit: but of course this is probably going to be better because those are boring and they took too much effort to polish and stuff and this is "wacky"

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=1b577118-067e-4539-93ad-43a2bc57bf20

Yeah, pretty much.  It has nothing to do with polish, though.  If I'm going to play a game that, in essence, I've played a hundred times before (re: all the videos you posted), it might as well be silly and bad, at least that way I can get some enjoyment out of it.

Where you say that you enjoy a silly game now and then, I enjoy a silly game all the time.  I enjoy a serious game now and then.  Sure, those other games deserve to win way more, and rightfully so.  But none of those other games looks all that fun to me.  They have beautiful art and they're all very professionally done, but that doesn't mean much to me I guess.

tweet tweet @j_younger
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »

Yeah, pretty much.  It has nothing to do with polish, though.  If I'm going to play a game that, in essence, I've played a hundred times before (re: all the videos you posted), it might as well be silly and bad, at least that way I can get some enjoyment out of it.

That's exactly why I enjoyed Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden so much -- it's a game I've played a million times before (a jRPG) but at least it's a silly, well-written one rather than yet another polished but vapid one.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic