Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038185 Posts in 41953 Topics- by 33577 Members - Latest Member: RyanRoach14

September 02, 2014, 03:40:11 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMagical Unicorn Adventure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Magical Unicorn Adventure  (Read 20574 times)
JP
Level 0

vordhosbn brezhoneg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 09:32:09 AM »

You know, the magical floating unicorn suddenly becomes a zillion times less arbitrary and weird if you make it... a pegacorn.  Pegasus wings, unicorn horn.  Games about magical unicorn adventures live and die by the quality of their fictional justification for gameplay mechanics.

Pegacorns, guys.  PEGACORNS.

Also I dare someone to make a copyright-infringing glitch remix of this called Magical Unicron Adventure.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »

You know, the magical floating unicorn suddenly becomes a zillion times less arbitrary and weird if you make it... a pegacorn.  Pegasus wings, unicorn horn.  Games about magical unicorn adventures live and die by the quality of their fictional justification for gameplay mechanics.

FUCK YEAH
Renton
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »

FUCK YEAH
HIGH FIVE, BRO!
FoxBlitzz
Level 0

Watch out! Bad Klik & Play graphics!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »

Nooo, don't add wings! If you do that, the game isn't as funny! Leave it be!
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

WAIT!!!  I think I've found a solution: have the unicorn generate a rainbow to walk on!
PandaCookies
BANNED!
Level 6

A delicious endangered treat!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »

WAIT!!!  I think I've found a solution: have the unicorn generate a rainbow to walk on!
generated rainbow particle under each hoof with steps

PANDA COOKIE NATION!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »

Dude, pegacorns are a billion times more awesome than your rainbow unicorns.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »

Dude, pegacorns are a billion times more awesome than your rainbow unicorns.
Simply, not true. +1 for rainbows.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCubeBlog | Twitter | Facebook
SDHawk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »

Wow. Quite the response, thanks for the comments. I was the programmer/designer on the project. To answer a few questions..

On the Unicorn rainbows: Yeah that was the original plan, but it ended up cut since we ran out of time towards the end of the contest on account of having to fix some dire last minute issues with the 360 version. Similarly for the animations, we way underestimated the amount and the transitions required to get them right in time along with a bevy of issues with the physics engine in general. The whole thing was made in the last month of the contest.

To clarify the Unicorn mechanic since a few people were confused: You can spawn it in a direction at any time in certain areas as well as change its speed, but not its direction without respawning it. We did manage to smooth out the spawning of it at the last minute with a poof effect. If you check out the other video you can see a few more of the mechanics related to it.

As for the release, yeah it's pretty much going to be restricted to Microsoft's creator club shenanigans for the time being depending on how the contest goes. Given the awkwardness of keyboard controls in the game and the nightmare we had getting testers to have XNA to run on their computers without installing the entire SDK, I wouldn't count on much else anytime soon.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »

That's a real shame.  I want to play this like, now.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Krypt
Manbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »

I wanted to call it "My Unicorn Friend."

=================
DWARVEN FORGE GAMES
=================
Renton
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »

Pegacorns, ftw. Even the name is pure awesome.
Garthy
Level 8

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 06:02:08 PM »

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who expected the player character to be torn apart into a bloody mess at any moment. I thought there might be something wrong with me. Wink

This game is going to have some kind of warning on it so that diabetic players don't lose control of their blood sugar levels, right? Wink

Needs more puppies. Wink
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »

Nice to see you posting here, Hawk! You should stick around, it's a good forum!

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 07:13:19 AM »

Okay, I've given myself some time to mull it over before responding so I think I can make my statements.

Bandwagon jumpers every one of you. You should be ashamed. The only reason you like this game is because of the title. If they had taken SMB3 and respritee it with unicorns and called it "Magical Unicorn Adventure" you would have all be jizting over it as much as this. It's a standard grappling hook game with unicorns that serve as nothing more than summonable platforms. Change the unicorns for grey blocks and the game would be no different.

A proper MUA would have either:
  • started out looking innocent (no spikes) and then mind rape the player (insanely difficult gameplay or exceptionally annoying gameplay would do the trick) or
  • Started out looking like a brawler with a helpless kid who has magical unicorns come out of nowhere to fight baddies for him.
Try to at least work within the framework of established memes.

Here, educate yourself.
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF103-Nice_Shirt.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus
http://www.shakespearesden.com/11554.html

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic