Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025549 Posts in 41094 Topics- by 32701 Members - Latest Member: eugenelab

July 22, 2014, 11:30:33 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreative (Moderator: John Sandoval)Workflow Problems (the urge to keep revamping your half-baked game)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Workflow Problems (the urge to keep revamping your half-baked game)  (Read 1588 times)
chrome-fox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »

Revamping and adding a few new game elements are completely different things.  One requires huge changes, the other doesn't.

What kind of game element are we talking here?

The small changes I'm referring to and have done so far are something like changing the feel and shape of my UI, adding new character/item/ship/sprite designs, changing the shape of the textbox/text bubble, changing the exploration menu from text based (choosing from a dropdown menu) to map based (sprites on a map that can be tapped/clicked).

I don't know how it is with other people, but even changing small details like that can fuel my urge to revamp the game, the last one that occured was when I changed the atmosphere of my background hue from bluish to greenish, the game originally have a slow and more strategic pace and gameplay, but the background change makes the game feels and looks different enough for me that I got the urge to change the gameplay to give it more freedom of control/input.

The game changes from a "point and click and see the result after that" game to a "swipe all you want and see the results in realtime" game, it didn't start as a big addition, but it did change into that over time, because after I changed the control/input system, I realized that it didn't fit with the rest of the elements, and instead of storing it as a new idea, I decided to change the whole game to fit the new control (that feature is a lot more interesting to me than the whole game combined at the time, given the lack of disciple to complete whatever I already have in my hand if it's not fun anymore, the revamp is due to happen, even if it started as a harmless addition/change)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 03:54:26 PM »

By new game element I mean like a new object you can add to the game world (through levels, enemy drops, etc.) that has a different set of rules from the other stuff in the game.

It sounds like your problem is much deeper if changing the sky color makes you want to completely change the game around, though. D:

chrome-fox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »

By new game element I mean like a new object you can add to the game world (through levels, enemy drops, etc.) that has a different set of rules from the other stuff in the game.

It sounds like your problem is much deeper if changing the sky color makes you want to completely change the game around, though. D:

Yeah, I know how facepalming and silly that might sound

It's a problem I got to reconcile with myself in some ways somehow, I'll try the "need moar discipline" path for now, that's one approach I haven't tried so far Cool

(BTW, just realized that TIG doesn't have a facepalm smiley)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »

It's a problem I got to reconcile with myself in some ways somehow, I'll try the "need moar discipline" path for now, that's one approach I haven't tried so far Cool

(BTW, just realized that TIG doesn't have a facepalm smiley)

Yeah, you should really only change course if you feel the core game mechanics aren't working out at all.  I've had to do this only once out of all the games I worked on, though.

Eventually, after some experience, you'll start to get a feel for if a game idea is going to work or not before you've even begun.  It helps to envision exactly what the player is going to be doing while playing in the later levels.

And TIGs does have a facepalm! Facepalm

chrome-fox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »

And TIGs does have a facepalm! Facepalm

Oops, my bad Facepalm Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic