Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:32:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsPortfoliosFreelance Writer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Freelance Writer  (Read 1729 times)
SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »

Hello my name is Sky D. Copeland and I'm a soon-to-be published author of the Rebirth Trilogy!

I am trying to get out there in the gaming industry to one day accomplish my goal of working for Ubisoft's Uplay, and I figured the way to build my Game portfolio is to do some independent work. So here I am.

Why do you need a writer? Skyrim, what made it so amazing? Was it just the epic battling or adventure? No, the lore in Skyrim is very deep and all of it was done by a group of writers! Another amazing example of why writers are important can be seen in one of the most legendary gaming franchises in the world, Final Fantasy.

So it is correct my portfolio is very small but I do have some examples of my writing.

Creative Writing:
http://www.wattpad.com/user/SkyCopeland

Projects:
Lead Writer / Lore Master - http://www.solaronline.so

Example of Short In-Game Class descriptions
Knight - A noble fighter specializing in the art of armed combat with the ability to rally those around them.

SpellSword - A caster whom can wield a blade as well as take to ranged forces.

BattleArcher - An archer boasting heavy armor and advanced skill with the ranged arts.

Crusader - Heavily equipped defense clerics with little experience nor the power for the front lines.

Templar - Shield in hand these supporters of combat take lead supporting their companions.

@Warrior - A simple fighter going out into the world with young eyes and nothing more than their trusty sword.

@Mage - A path of creation and destruction, masters and beginners in the studies of arcane.

@Caster - Their eyes now open these undeveloped souls in the world of arcane find themselves lost.

Apprentice - Students of the Celestial Academy these mages are now developing their arcane skills and starting to shaping their destiny.

Sorcerer - This destructive graduate of the Academy carries heavy equipment and shield while laying waste to their foe.

BattleMage - A combination of scholar and soldier these casters have become valuable in both ranged and close combat arts.

WitchHunter - These mysterious drop-outs of the Academy dedicate their life to hunting the paranormal, wielding bow and the mastery of illusion.

Cleric - High defense gives this hero plenty of time to cast powerful healing on themselves and allies.

Nightblade - Following a darker path these casters lay destruction to land all the while bringing woe to people with illusions and alliterating the very existence of reality.

Archer - Young in the ways of archery this hero spends a large amount of time training with just a bow.

@Scout - Going through life with subtle movements they discover the unknown and venture beyond the frontier of more than the physical world.

Mauler - Able to crush in a man's skull with brute force of their axe or to take them in a brawl striking them down with equivalent results.

Interested in hiring me? Contact Information:

Email - [email protected]
Skype - sethreaper

Or comment here!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:56:33 PM by SkyTech » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:17:46 PM »

Hello my name is Sky D. Copeland and I'm a soon-to-be published author of Rebirth Trilogy!

check your grammar; if you're looking for a job as a freelance writer you need to know it. it should be "author of the rebirth trilogy" not "author of rebirth trilogy"

(and yeah i know i don't capitalize my posts but i'm not looking for freelance writing work here, although i have worked as a freelance writer in the past)

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »

Not to be a hater, but you also misspelled "noble", "wield", "crusader", "sorcerer", "celestial", "illusions", "altering", "subtle" and "striking".  You also have numerous grammatical errors in that example piece, like treating "arcane" as a noun.  So you're not exactly making a good impression.  Sad

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »

Not to be a hater, but you also misspelled "noble", "wield", "crusader", "sorcerer", "celestial", "illusions", "altering", "subtle" and "striking".  You also have numerous grammatical errors in that example piece, like treating "arcane" as a noun.  So you're not exactly making a good impression.  Sad

Oh my! That was my unedited version! Sorry! They incorrectly titled it on the Dropbox.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »

eva mentioned in irc that it's weird that witchhunters hunt bows rather than witches:

"WitchHunter - These mysterious drop-outs of the Academy dedicate their  life to hunting the paranormal wielding bow and the mastery of illusion."

and i noticed this:

"Nightblade - Following a darker path these casters lay destruction to land all the while bringing woe to people with illusions and alliterating the very existence of reality."

do you even know what alliterating means? how can you alliterate the very existence of reality. don't you mean obliterate?

SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »

eva mentioned in irc that it's weird that witchhunters hunt bows rather than witches:

"WitchHunter - These mysterious drop-outs of the Academy dedicate their  life to hunting the paranormal wielding bow and the mastery of illusion."

and i noticed this:

"Nightblade - Following a darker path these casters lay destruction to land all the while bringing woe to people with illusions and alliterating the very existence of reality."

do you even know what alliterating means? how can you alliterate the very existence of reality. don't you mean obliterate?

The word usage there was not up to me... it was decided by the project lead.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »

if you didn't decide on the wording then what's even the point of showing off this as an example of your writing? each post you make makes you seem worse and worse of a choice to hire as a writer!

SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »

if you didn't decide on the wording then what's even the point of showing off this as an example of your writing? each post you make makes you seem worse and worse of a choice to hire as a writer!

Cause almost all of it was? You aren't even looking to hire anyone... you are just being an jerk...
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

He's actually pointing out some really blatant flaws that you should be damned gracious he's giving you the heads up on. 

It's one thing to argue about subjective criticism, but blaming the project lead for things like alliterating reality indicate a complete lack of respect for your own craft.

But I'll actually be a jerk and point out that using those absolutely bottom-barrel class descriptions is a really awful way to promote your skill as a writer.

1:  They're generic and without any flavor at all.
2:  They try to conflate in-setting info with, apparently, in-game mechanics, which is inherently awkward sounding.
3:  They're not really worded well, even for informative flavor text.

It's dry as cardboard and about as flavorful.

I'm setting a stop watch for one minute and going to see how I can re-write them better:

Knight:  Landed nobles, divinely appointed by their lord.  Their wealth and clout make them well suited to the task of raising and supporting an army.

Spellsword:  Autodidactic masters of arts both martial and arcane, these unpredictable combatants are a terror to do battle with.

Battle Archer:  No mere conscripts, these are seasoned mercenaries with an eye for exquisite gear.  Heavy crossbows and armor allow these veterans to rain down bolt after bolt without fear of retribution.

THERE, DONE.  And that was off the top of my head.  Don't just say "this is what these guys do", you have to imbue a sense of who these class-archetypes are, as people, within the setting.  It is apparent here that knights are rich and powerful, spellswords are clever and hard to plan against, and battle archers are tough, grizzled hardcases.  Those sorts of traits don't spring naturally from "uses heavy armor" or "a caster with a sword".  I mean, if I were actually playing the game, I'd want something more flavorful than "uses axes", I'd want "hews a path through the battlefield that quickly fills with blood and severed limbs."  Blandly describing everything in terms of if they're a caster or warrior or whatever reeks of D&D bullshit.

Even with the Mauler description, which comes close, sort of mars it all with the awful wording of "take them in a brawl striking them down with equivalent results."
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »

Cause almost all of it was? You aren't even looking to hire anyone... you are just being an jerk...

i don't mind how it makes me seem, but don't you think defending such phrases as "alliterating reality", when it's obvious you just misspelled obliterate, got the spell-checker to fix it, and didn't actually know how obliterate was spelled so you decided alliterate was correct, and then blamed someone else for this mistake, makes you seem like a bad writer?

even if it were true that a person who hired you absolutely demanded that the mistake of alliterate instead of obliterate be included in the game, you still chose to use that as an *example* of your work, meaning you didn't notice that it was wrong. if you noticed that it was wrong and the project lead had forced you against your better judgement to write it that way, you would have at least omitted that part as an example

SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

If I wanted a critique I would have asked for one. FYI Notepad doesn't have spell check so I think it's safe to assume that's not what I did. Anyways, if you aren't planning on hiring me, I would appreciate if you stopped commenting.

Thank you.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »

That attitude reflects on your ability (or rather, inability) to work with others, he was just trying to help and you are being rude.

If i was someone wanting to hire a writer and came across this thread, viewing your work with tons of errors and your inability to recognize them and actual disdain for others for pointing them out, I would not want to work with you. Simple as that, would close the thread and find someone else.

So in the future think about how you present yourself to people when trying to get a job, stuff like this matters.
SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »

That attitude reflects on your ability to work with others, he was just trying to help and you are being rude.

If i was someone wanting to hire a writer and came across this thread, viewing your work with tons of errors and your inability to recognize them and actual disdain for others for pointing them out, I would not want to work with you. Simple as that, would close the thread and find someone else.

So in the future think about how you present yourself to people when trying to get a job, stuff like this matters.

If you look back those errors are no longer there.. it's not that I'm not taking any help they are point out... I'd just appreciate if they'd not present it in such a harsh manner. Also I'd appreciate if they didn't make me sound like some elementary student. 
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »

There was nothing harsh at all about Paul Eres's comments.  Even when speaking his mind he's as mild as warm milk.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Paul's just trying to help you out. The next step for you is to improve your writing. You want to be hired right? He is helping you accomplish that. Taking criticism is really important in a team setting.

--

The writing on your blog is much smoother.
SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Paul's just trying to help you out. The next step for you is to improve your writing. You want to be hired right? He is helping you accomplish that. Taking criticism is really important in a team setting.

--

The writing on your blog is much smoother.

Thanks!
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »

You are humbly invited to the writing forum.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
SkyTech
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »

You are humbly invited to the writing forum.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic