Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:15:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMalaika Princess - The Game (2D RPG action Endless Runner )
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Malaika Princess - The Game (2D RPG action Endless Runner )  (Read 70906 times)
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »

Well , take your time

i'll see if i get some feedabck on this and proceed
anyway i'm working on the fifth one...

If you plan to work on a ps4 game ,just tell me , i'm so interested in that now.

I'd love working on a ps4 relesed game if possible.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »

lol i'm not yet at this stage where i have a ps4 license lol Wink
It all depend on what I can do with my game and if I can leverage old contact after I have done my thing.
However If my engine happen to be solid I will be interested in having some malaika princess 3D Tongue but collision is not there yet.

I'm also more interested in WII U to finally give a good motion control game that isn't all the waggle vs 1:1 motion silliness. I'm also interested in kinect 2 sans xbone, both as a tool (limited motion and facial capture) as for gameplay (social cues).

But you can do a PS4 level game on PC first then try to find a way to ps4. However the density of visual to match even the low bar of PS4 is quite high.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2013, 09:04:33 AM »

Ah i see

Since i heard you could auto-publish your game on ps4
Maybe i was mistaken or i dunno.

Kinect games , honestly not interested , wii u maybe i dunno

Anyway if sony make it easy to publish games on something similar to XBLA i'll give a try , no matter what.

Malaika in 3d could be fun but my level in 3d is like zero.
i'm mostly a 2d artist.
i'll see what you came with your engine , try to make it nice for characters humanoid , not just box like 2d flash type games .

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

More infos :

The style of the game will be more like "Shadow of the colossus" now
Meaning : going to fight a bunch of different bosses
Before the boss you'll have to complete a level and reach the boss entry.

Here is the idle gif from the heroine's super move

If you dash three times in a fast way , she will turn into this Fish.
I haven't decided yet how it gonna work damages-side.

can you describe how you animated that, or write a tutorial? it'd be interesting to learn how to create animations like that

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »

More infos :

The style of the game will be more like "Shadow of the colossus" now
Meaning : going to fight a bunch of different bosses
Before the boss you'll have to complete a level and reach the boss entry.

Here is the idle gif from the heroine's super move

If you dash three times in a fast way , she will turn into this Fish.
I haven't decided yet how it gonna work damages-side.

can you describe how you animated that, or write a tutorial? it'd be interesting to learn how to create animations like that
Oh

I never did that before to be honest.
It's just a mix of animated techniques , i did this animation quite a while ago now

I could maybe try a tutorial for a similar new animated object tomorrow or this night.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »

thanks, that'd be helpful!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »

Ah i see

Since i heard you could auto-publish your game on ps4
Maybe i was mistaken or i dunno.

Kinect games , honestly not interested , wii u maybe i dunno

Anyway if sony make it easy to publish games on something similar to XBLA i'll give a try , no matter what.

Malaika in 3d could be fun but my level in 3d is like zero.
i'm mostly a 2d artist.
i'll see what you came with your engine , try to make it nice for characters humanoid , not just box like 2d flash type games .

I have no information yet about self publish so I don't expect too much about it yet, and I think it's better to build something first, then see if I can go on some target platform.

Box collision isn't bad at all, and you would be surprise how many AAA still use simple capsule collider. However implementing robustly it is a bit hard when you are not train to do it. That's why I have start my project, to have a kind of universal character controller that is robustly implemented for my future game. Right now it's not quite robust at all ... at least not a the lowest level I'm aiming for.

Don't worry about 3D now, I'll take care of that. My plan is that when I'm ready technically, to see with you if I can promote your anime and game about malaika princess. I think where I am I can unlock a lot of help to finish (dubbing) and develop this. I think there will be plenty interest in the Caribbean. For example we could use the anime to promote the game, and continue the story in game etc ... I have loosely expose to you my long term project, now it all depend on how much autonomous I am (I should be able to handle everything myself in case of people failure), hence my focus on my principal weakness, coding!

Yeah kinect Wink I'm a designer it's my jobs to found something people will get excited about, so far most designer didn't bother and have done shit things based on shit premise, notably 1:1 movement which is stupid since if you play a ninja you are not expected to do ninja move in your salon. Also they tried to cram button like gameplay and convention on something that is not fit for it, and haven't explored complementary control with pad/kinect enough, and no, voice control is really stupid. There is a lot of thing that are hard on button, notably conveying nuance or tone, that kinect could do wonder, etc ....

Same with WII U wiimote, you have new bandwidth with pointing and angling the device to open new mode on the button. It's much better than analog for fps and would allow decoupling aiming with looking, etc... just stop the waggling!

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »

Ok well
Few people ask me that kind of video so i did that for you
Not sure if it's gonna help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Q6KGEHPps&feature=youtu.be

I commented as much i could
You need to have some basic 2d animation skills , technique and knowledge.
After i used tvpaint software for this.

Hope it will be good.
if you don't get some part , just ask, i'll try to adresse the problem

Final result

Gimym TILBERT
Ouren is using this
https://psm.playstation.net/portal/en/#register
I think you are a french (not sure how metropole french people consider you but anyway)
so you can apply if you want it
https://en-support.psm.playstation.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/41

For promoting malaika it's look awesome as ideas.
We should keep those ideas to see where it goes.
I didnt knew coding was your weakness too , weird haha , since i'm an artist , coding is sometimes Hardcore XD.

For kinect
I was talking with some dude a time ago and said :
If i have to develop a game for kinect , it would be an interactive adventure life with some girl or boy you have to protect or whenever (like Bioshock infinite)
But more than Infinite , you just talk with this create IA ,via the mic
Starting dialogue with the IA , she answers , you keep asking for stuff etc and you play around.

That would be cool , no stupid gesture and clever use of the talk (you don't talk alone, you actually talk to someone ! )

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:22:00 AM by airman4 » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »

ok thanks, i'll look at the registering when I'll have something good enough.

I use to be more of an artist too, but since then I train more game design than art and so I have more knowledge than skill now ... Sad Just enough to make something not too great but passable. But yeah I think I can leverage some contact to lauch malaika princess providing I can finish at least one project myself first.

For kinect: beware of the surface of action Wink Talking is a vast unsolved topic, it's less precise than writing and language is too subtle for game. I'm not sure it's entirely workable unless you limit yourself to a bunch of command, but then a controller is enough and without ambiguity. Designing interface (and game) is all about finding intuitive abstraction, and way to frame boundaries of actions naturally (through affordances). For example, "role" (i'm batman) is a way to limit action (batman don't cure cancer as a role, there is no cure cancer button, but batman beat guy, so there is a punch button and there is enemy to punch). Gesture are stupid in most game because they don't really fit good abstraction and affordances, plus any action strive for economy which they went against. If you were to make a talking interface you still have to think about that, or else you would need to build a human scale AI that can handle any conversation, which would still be bad design since most discussion would break boundary of action (talking about poney in the middle of a fight to your enemy you are supposed to beat?). That latter aspect has been study by emily short for IF which use text input and have those same problem (and basically there is game like yours in IF). It wouldn't be so different than stupid inappropriate gesture.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »

ok thanks, i'll look at the registering when I'll have something good enough.

I use to be more of an artist too, but since then I train more game design than art and so I have more knowledge than skill now ... Sad Just enough to make something not too great but passable. But yeah I think I can leverage some contact to lauch malaika princess providing I can finish at least one project myself first.

For kinect: beware of the surface of action Wink Talking is a vast unsolved topic, it's less precise than writing and language is too subtle for game. I'm not sure it's entirely workable unless you limit yourself to a bunch of command, but then a controller is enough and without ambiguity. Designing interface (and game) is all about finding intuitive abstraction, and way to frame boundaries of actions naturally (through affordances). For example, "role" (i'm batman) is a way to limit action (batman don't cure cancer as a role, there is no cure cancer button, but batman beat guy, so there is a punch button and there is enemy to punch). Gesture are stupid in most game because they don't really fit good abstraction and affordances, plus any action strive for economy which they went against. If you were to make a talking interface you still have to think about that, or else you would need to build a human scale AI that can handle any conversation, which would still be bad design since most discussion would break boundary of action (talking about poney in the middle of a fight to your enemy you are supposed to beat?). That latter aspect has been study by emily short for IF which use text input and have those same problem (and basically there is game like yours in IF). It wouldn't be so different than stupid inappropriate gesture.

thanks anyway for pushing malaika princess.

For the talking with a NPC ia , it's just an idea
But yeah it could be a nightmare to code yeah
But it would be nice to devs to go there instead pushing graphics

Nowadays gamers mostly judge games by their looks and the story , not even the code or the concept/gameplay.
It's kinda fascinating in a way.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »

Hi !
I'll stop animating a bit and go back to the game

I'll make some radical changes

Some people told me about the mecanics , some are to be changed , like the Dash Life out mecanic.

Also i could change the whole system with the weapons battle

I'm thinking about making this game more fun and all (maybe try a localisation of damages ? )

So i'm still in the basis and mecanics of the game
Hope it will get fixed

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »

I'm working hard on the game and i have no hell idea of what people will think of the game

I just hope they will love it

To improve from my first game
: More simple controls (no wall jumps and a better feeling about the jump/fall stuff)
: I added a secondary action button , could be useful in some situation
: Only 7 bosses , so normally very short
: Not long intro , Not abrasive HUD , and not classical boring tutorial.

For the feature i'm working on
Some testers told me that playing only bosses is too simple , not very funny
So i'll include some levels before the final bosse
The game will be mostly arena square like , little levels to play cause the flash should stay fluid ; when i use long levels , it's lag sometimes.

One of the new feature wich will make unique the game is that the Boss weapon you fight could engage a dialogue with you in real time , be careful ! if the weapon managae to discuss with you and distract you from the actual battle , it will go back to the beginning of the combat.
It's a childish way to restore life ?

ANyway i'll try to innovate this , the player will sometimes also choose to dialogue or not with the weapon.

i'll try to make an update soon and see what people think about the whole new stuff.

This game will probably push you to dialogue with the ennemy wich is weird ?

Do you like the idea ?

How many time did you play this way in modern games ?

I dont play much those late years , so i'm curious

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:38 AM »

Sounds like you are taking some steps in the right direction, listening to the feedback.

One thing I thought about though is that you might want to focus on making the boss battles feel good on a stand alone basis, like you have it now. If you first make the boss fights feel cool on their own maybe then you could fill in with some levels before the battles. My point is that I am not sure that you will solve the boss issues with putting external levels before or after the boss fights. The issues people had are probably within the boss fights themselves.

Though, having that said I think your idea of putting dialogue during the boss fight is very interesting and might just make them more unique in a way. This is of course if the dialogue somehow are incorporated into the fight, and not just a distraction in form of a textbox.
If you somehow could make a conversation between the player and the boss that actually affects the gameplay it could be very cool. Say that the boss asks you a question and you will have a few different answer options, each affecting the battle in a different way, maybe the boss could turn offensive responding to one answer and go more on the defence while responding to another answer.
Here you could probably have explore some different emotional response to the answers, where the boss might be offended or angry by an answer or suspicious. Maybe even telling lies could be part of the whole thing. Maybe even have a boss that can't be defeated by fighting but rather by conversation, you could still fight the boss as the conversation goes of course.
It could also be a nice way to incorporate story into the game. Like, what if the giant in Shadow of the Colossus actually could talk, what would they say? That's an interesting thought.

I definitely think you should explore the dialogue idea, sounds very cool!
Looking forward to see more of this!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »

Sounds like you are taking some steps in the right direction, listening to the feedback.

One thing I thought about though is that you might want to focus on making the boss battles feel good on a stand alone basis, like you have it now. If you first make the boss fights feel cool on their own maybe then you could fill in with some levels before the battles. My point is that I am not sure that you will solve the boss issues with putting external levels before or after the boss fights. The issues people had are probably within the boss fights themselves.

Though, having that said I think your idea of putting dialogue during the boss fight is very interesting and might just make them more unique in a way. This is of course if the dialogue somehow are incorporated into the fight, and not just a distraction in form of a textbox.
If you somehow could make a conversation between the player and the boss that actually affects the gameplay it could be very cool. Say that the boss asks you a question and you will have a few different answer options, each affecting the battle in a different way, maybe the boss could turn offensive responding to one answer and go more on the defence while responding to another answer.
Here you could probably have explore some different emotional response to the answers, where the boss might be offended or angry by an answer or suspicious. Maybe even telling lies could be part of the whole thing. Maybe even have a boss that can't be defeated by fighting but rather by conversation, you could still fight the boss as the conversation goes of course.
It could also be a nice way to incorporate story into the game. Like, what if the giant in Shadow of the Colossus actually could talk, what would they say? That's an interesting thought.

I definitely think you should explore the dialogue idea, sounds very cool!
Looking forward to see more of this!

yeah of course i will do !

thanks for the comment

Modificate the gameplay via answer will be very hard , so it will be limited , i can't make a crazy thing but i'll do my best.
I'll try to use less text box as possible

I'll present this and modificate accordingly to the critiques.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w86JQhOzhw&feature=youtu.be

Look at that video !

New work on the way
Now each boss will have sub-ennemies to beat (childs)

In this game , when you see an ennemy turning red (not bleeding) , generally it hit you
When the weapon have neutral colors (black there) , you can go through and attack it

It's all about states of attack and defense
You'll find out the right time to attack , that's mainly it.

Hope you'll like it

I didnt started the dialogue (the dialogue occurs only on the final bosses : Mothers)
Some dynamic timed event can occur , meaning : randomized attack or other stuff !!!

The point of the game is to be active , intense , not that fast but very surprising even, chaotic !
Hope the video kinda make it feeling to you

There is no music and the graphics are placeholders , weapon are not designed really there too.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »

Gameplay looks very solid
I'm not a big fan of stencyl though, your other flash game had very choppy movement sometimes and a bit unplayable because of it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

looks fantastic, collision code looks like stronger than before, I hope input are tighter too Smiley Good work overall, being a decent coder and an awesome animator is a big really deal, if you became an awesome game designer on the top you will be unstoppable Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:27 AM »

Ok well
Few people ask me that kind of video so i did that for you
Not sure if it's gonna help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Q6KGEHPps&feature=youtu.be

I commented as much i could
You need to have some basic 2d animation skills , technique and knowledge.
After i used tvpaint software for this.

Hope it will be good.
if you don't get some part , just ask, i'll try to adresse the problem

Final result

Gimym TILBERT
Ouren is using this
https://psm.playstation.net/portal/en/#register
I think you are a french (not sure how metropole french people consider you but anyway)
so you can apply if you want it
https://en-support.psm.playstation.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/41

For promoting malaika it's look awesome as ideas.
We should keep those ideas to see where it goes.
I didnt knew coding was your weakness too , weird haha , since i'm an artist , coding is sometimes Hardcore XD.

For kinect
I was talking with some dude a time ago and said :
If i have to develop a game for kinect , it would be an interactive adventure life with some girl or boy you have to protect or whenever (like Bioshock infinite)
But more than Infinite , you just talk with this create IA ,via the mic
Starting dialogue with the IA , she answers , you keep asking for stuff etc and you play around.

That would be cool , no stupid gesture and clever use of the talk (you don't talk alone, you actually talk to someone ! )

sorry for the delay in reply; this looks very helpful, thanks. how much does that program you use cost? i went to the site but it didn't have a price there, it said you have to email them for the price, which makes it seem expensive

also, you showed how to animate particles moving up, but i was more wondering how you animated the different parts of the fish -- e.g. how to make the fins and body deform, as if it's in water

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »

Gameplay looks very solid
I'm not a big fan of stencyl though, your other flash game had very choppy movement sometimes and a bit unplayable because of it.

Stencyl is not very loved but i love it
I can make basic games with that
Like ghost hero for example
http://www.kongregate.com/games/airman4/ghost-hero-the-first-build-v1-0

It's not that easy but someone artistic like me can always try something interactive if i'm working hard.

Of course i'm not romero or Mark Zuckerber so i'm relying my games on mostly their concept
Like cataball the first ever game i've designed (2009)

But the coder left , so the game frozen since.

So yeah i understand the choppy stuff , i worked damn hard on malaika to get rid of that !
I hope it will work this time.
(no need to play ghost hero , it's kinda a fail -_-)

Anyway thanks for the message , it's a motivation

Gimym TILBERT
If you are talking about the slide walk of her , yeah it's still there
So at first it will be weird , but after hours of playing you'll get how to play it
You slide on the earth like it was ice , it have advantage and bad stuff.
For example a duck slide move can be stopped , you have to raise up to stop/slow down

Anyway thanks again , more motivated after that.

Paul Eres
Sorry myself for the delay too
For the price range , probably 300 euros/600 or even more.
The soft is awesome for bitmap animator (not flash !!!) , so you actually draw like on paper and animate !
It's really really close to the traditionnal stuff and i love it.
That doesnt mean i hate flash (i've done some when i was a kid) or retro pixel animation.

But expect high price (not like photoshop crazy stuff)

For the part of the fish , okay it's too late so i'll animate another one tomorrow or so
And i'll record it

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

It's just my opinion but "slide" works better with larger platform and no pit and less precision while moving/jumping.

I still haven't play later version yet (key problem on my computer) but maybe you can give the illusion while keeping tight control. Trick like visual to control delay, buffer, anticipation, animation speed, etc can help. For example having a quick buffer for when the character jump out of a platform that remember how long the character have left the platform (to allow input some frame after the character left the ground), or how long the player have pushed the button (to allow to rebound after a jump if the press happen just before the character hit the ground), or don't allow the character to slip past a platform while sliding to prevent the character from falling when the player are already inputting a new direction, etc...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic