Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:37:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I made a baby
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I made a baby  (Read 1670 times)
teoma
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »

Concept art for a time management-y casual game.  The trick is to make it cute, but not 'kiddyish', since the casual gamer types don't like 'kiddyish' looking stuff.  (why?  who knows)  The game's about babies, but it shouldn't look like it's for babies.

Anyway, what do you think?

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »

slightly horrifying; reminds me of a jellybean
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »

funny. I like the dough look of its body.

--

I feel the "I'm a baby with a huge head!" aspect steals focus from the more interesting ply-able body. But if I looked at it longer or saw it in mechanics I might change my mind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:42:53 AM by Graham. » Logged
teoma
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

slightly horrifying; reminds me of a jellybean

Really?  Horrifying?  For some reason whenever I draw babies they come out looking like aliens... I might need to work on it more.  Body is kinda jellybeany.

I feel the "I'm a baby with a huge head!" aspect steals focus from the more interesting ply-able body. But if I looked at it longer or saw it in mechanics I might change my mind.

The body isn't tooo ply-able... tentatively, there's going to be a single static image each for the head, torso, hands and arms, which will be moved around procedurally.  (oh, and an animated face overlaying the head)  So, yeah, it would be awesome if the body had a bunch of squishy hand drawn animations, but it's not feasible with the current budget.  (there's several more babies besides this one, like 20 in all)  We can do some procedural squash/stretch stuff, but that's about it.

I can make the head smaller... will that help?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »

It looks scary because he's wearing false eyelashes and has eye liner on. Shocked

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »

Looks like it belongs in a Rayman game.
teoma
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 02:47:22 PM »

I can get rid of the eyelashes.  Is Rayman... bad?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »

then do it and keep iterating Smiley

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:05:42 AM »

I just meant the ply-able look of it is interesting. The body doesn't have to animate.

Yeah, smaller head, unless the huge head is like relevant... like it weighs the baby down or gets caught in things. Depends a lot on mechanics. This could be fine.

Or maybe the body is super heavy and the head is light... and the baby gets thrown around. Then a big head is funny.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:37:49 AM »

I find the C shaped feet very weird looking, rest is ok, even if it disembodied hands are kind of weird too and reminds a lot of Rayman

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »

It looks a little kiddish to me. I'd say flatten the mouth a little, it makes it look like one of the ducks from donald duck..

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
teoma
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 04:32:37 AM »

Here's v2

The reason for the disembodied hands is because they'll be moved/animated procedurally, and no arms gives a better range of motion.  If it looks too weird I can change it, I'm just worried the arms might make it look too stiff when it's animated.

I kinda like the duck lip thing... but yeah, if it looks too kiddish I can change it.  It's for a casual market so it needs to look 'adult'.  (even though it's a game about babies)

ClayB
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »

raymanbaby
ArtByElde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

I like it, kinda scares me, but "it" looks adorable!

"Artwork is the only MMO i play, endless content and no levelcap"
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

Yeah... maybe work on it a bit more... those feet look slightly inhuman

chrome-fox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »

The no arm look does give the rayman atmosphere there, the feet looks more like claws than foot, looks a little like miniature jellybeans as well I guess, not sure where you're going with the foot.

I wonder if it would be better if you just ditch the thighs and go with a disembodied approach like the upper limbs? (just a random thought)

The jellybean body and duck lips gives quite a personality to the baby, I especially like his finger pose, it looks like the pose babies do when they're excited about stuffs, sounds like he's screaming his name or something in that pose, Jellybean Boy? Baby Bean?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic