Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:52:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOmulus (Castlevania/ZeldaII/Metroid-like)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Omulus (Castlevania/ZeldaII/Metroid-like)  (Read 5687 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:17:18 AM »

The eye has personality Hand Thumbs Up Right, but for some reason I dislike the shooting. The animation is great, but the shots seem like out of place, maybe because the eye is more towards the physical in my view.

Even the lightsaber kind of thing is cool. Just the shooting... Concerned
The animation is missing a couple frames inbetween and stretch, and an effect. It'll be cooler and more, um, shooty. Splashy. Poppy. Energized. More animated heh.

If you mean he is too physical of a character to be shooting energy bullets I don't know what to say. I mean like, what about Goku? What about Mega- okay well Megaman is robot but what about Ryu from street fighter, um, yu yu hakusho, and a million other anime characters? Tongue
You are exactly right. I view him as a physical character. I actually envision the game more like a beat'em up/platformer than a shooter, but that is, of course subject to change when the soon to arrive demo hits. Yes? YES!?

The eye has personality Hand Thumbs Up Right, but for some reason I dislike the shooting. The animation is great, but the shots seem like out of place, maybe because the eye is more towards the physical in my view.

for me is the light saber thing though. Shooting lazer out of the eye is pretty normal, think Cyclops from X-men, or any version of cyclops that can shoot lazer. But that light saber spin just look painful.
The spin is actually kind of cool. Reminded me of this, right on:

Of course, all of a sudden, the eye producing lasers is weird. Could be a force field kind of thing, but the devs know better.

Yeah.
makallenz
Level 0

Game artist and animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »

The game is looking great so far! Will definitely be following this devlog.

In response to your question for preserving memory and compressing images:
I'm not sure how MMF2 loads and displays objects, but if you cut the big images down in to "tiles" (say 4 across and 4 down for that big house image) and you place them as tiles, the game wouldn't have to load that whole big image at once and could instead display it in pieces when needed.
As I said, this is pure conjecture, as I'm not sure how MMF2 handles these things.

But goodluck!

We will definitely try this and let you know how it works. MMF2 is sort of stupid about compression unfortunately. Also even though I downloaded and used PNG crush for our images MMF just turned them into non alpha pngs. Which means there is just one transparent color as opposed to variable transparency for each pixel. So that freaking sucked. Hopefully your method works :D

Omulus is a demon incarnation so perhaps we will try to make the "energy" look more spirity. I'm not sure what that entails right now but we can give it a shot.

Also Omulus will not blink for every shot fired because the rate of fire is too fast so the animation will end up looking choppy. Furthermore if we smooth out the animation it will desync with the firing of the bullets and will make players feel a disconnect between the two actions. Which is something we do not want.

Anyway I believe the blink will be primarily for after shooting the charge shot so it shouldn't be jarring at all.

Oh and I bit of a sad announcement...I'm fairly bogged down with freelance work so Omulus is taking a back seat in my priorities at the moment. It's pretty difficult to juggle both things at once. However my freelance job is allowing me to hone my animation skills so in turn Omulus(game) should have fairly fluid, nicely spaced and nicely timed frames of animation. It's going to be freaking awesome! Oh and Blake is no slouch in the animation department either. Also we should have animation samples posted within a week or week and a half. Actually I worked on an animation for the character Helna last night and it's going quite well. Also I have come up with a system that will minimize the amount of clean up that has to be done by either me or Blake. As an aside all animation is being done in flash which is a great program. Although vector drawing can be annoying it's benefits far out weigh it's limits.

Things are going great if not a bit slow because of how busy we are with other avenues of life. Such as working :\ If only there was some way to work on this full time...we could finish so much more quickly! Argggh...

Anyway again...thanks for all the comments everyone! I love reading about what you all think of the game! In the end Omulus will be a better game for it. So keep those comments coming!!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »

Really, really nice animation and graphics so far. Just a small thing - it'd look more natural if Omulus squashed a little bit when he lands after falling, but otherwise, this is looking excellent. The whole game seems to have a nice personality so far.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
makallenz
Level 0

Game artist and animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »

Aw thanks for the nice comment! Keeps me going!  As for Omulus' squash and stretch we are going to make sure he feels really organic. We also want the animation to feel really good so that jumping becomes addictive. Like bouncing a rubber ball sort of.

Also @flipswitchx and I are going to be at Wondercon today and possibly tomorrow so we won't have any screenshot saturday stuff to show. We have some large pieces that need to be cleaned up before we feel confident enough to show them but it won't be too long now.

Thanks   Smiley
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »

instant like with that style, and maybe that eye monster. I love eye monster. Might try the game later.

Gotta keep an   Bro Fist Left Blink Hand Thumbs Up Right on this.
Whoa, Blake! It's looking AWESOME. Great job :D
Keep it up  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks you guys! Been doing research on a bunch of classic enemy patterns (that i hope to improve on or at least mimic)

So while there hasn't been anything pretty to show, progress is happening.

siskavard
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 08:49:55 AM »

oh man, subscribing!

Very nice art style!  Waaagh!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic