Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:40:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHammerwatch - On Steam the 12th
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch - On Steam the 12th  (Read 174158 times)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:54 AM »

Don't know if the nova effect is just a placeholder or the final animation, but I like it this way, coupled with the facial expression it reminds me of Adventure Time Grin

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »

Don't know if the nova effect is just a placeholder or the final animation, but I like it this way, coupled with the facial expression it reminds me of Adventure Time Grin

Haha, the nova effect is a placeholder, but with the eyes and mouth, it's really funny =)

My cousins reaction was, since this was the first he saw of the game "That, I'm not going to buy". Support from the family... =)

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »

You got my vote. I'd love to slash through hordes of monsters with my friends!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Ai7iS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »

There's still no decision what to do with the Warlock and his skills, since we removed the summoning, we need two more active skills.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for here. Perhaps a buff (maybe defense to avoid being overpowered on bosses) of some sort that starts out only benefitting oneself, and upgrades to cast onto team/buff time/buff strength.  Not sure how buffs would work in this game.  Benefitting the whole party may be too powerful, but this is the best I could come up with at the moment.
DerangedMind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »

There's still no decision what to do with the Warlock and his skills, since we removed the summoning, we need two more active skills.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for here. Perhaps a buff (maybe defense to avoid being overpowered on bosses) of some sort that starts out only benefitting oneself, and upgrades to cast onto team/buff time/buff strength.  Not sure how buffs would work in this game.  Benefitting the whole party may be too powerful, but this is the best I could come up with at the moment.

The problem, imo, is that the warlock is wayyyy too passive. It won't be nearly as fun to play a passive character than it is to shoot an arrow through multiple undead heads! It's almost at the point where the class needs to be entirely redesigned... That's just my opinion though...
Ai7iS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »

It's tough to think of an ability that is completely unique.  I was thinking a spell that fires multiple homing projectiles, but that seems too similar to chain lightning.  Or maybe a "force" spell that pushes enemies away from you and deals some damage.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:45:14 PM by Ai7iS » Logged
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »

Two more skills?
I suggest a poison themed one, like a poison nova or spray, it seems you have no damage over time attacks yet, it would create a nice variety I think.
How about exploding corpses for the second one? Exploding corpses is fun Smiley

Vaxx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »

Some ideas:

1. Cast a channeling spell on an enemy for like 10 seconds and if you survive you are transfered into that monster for a certain amount of time. Allows you to shape shift into non boss enemies and aid the team with the monsters skill-set.

2. Cast a circle on the ground that slows and life drains all monsters within that area. Could also have a channeling effect. If you do not receive any damage during channeling a random monster in the cicle turns into a gravestone every period of time. Skill is interrupted on received damage.

3. Steal life from a monster and release the health drained as area explosion from that monster on mouse release.

4. Chain disease and fear. Similar to a virus, spreading across random monsters causing them to receive damage over time and random fear among them until they slowly die.

5. Summon an altair that generates gold (tribute to charon) for monsters dieing within range.

6. Have a bone leash that kills the monster directly hit and damages all monsters on the way.

I have a few more ideas if you dont mind posting.
Ai7iS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »

Two more skills?
I suggest a poison themed one, like a poison nova or spray, it seems you have no damage over time attacks yet, it would create a nice variety I think.
How about exploding corpses for the second one? Exploding corpses is fun Smiley

The only problem I see with the poison themed spell is I feel like it might not be very helpful on enemies apart from the bosses.  Though, it is impossible to tell without play testing it.

@Vaxx, I'm liking the idea of some sort of drain health spell.  I don't think my force spell is terrible either.  I think it is fine if you post more ideas.  There are skills that need to be filled, after all.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:59:45 AM by Ai7iS » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »

Some kind of disease that spreads from enemies to other nearby enemies and lowers their speed/defense/attack or something. Or perhaps a ghost form that briefly lets you walk through enemies and inflicts this status upon those you touch. Used as an escape maneuver as well as a status affliction.

A shadowy orb that fires slowly, travels slowly and does minimal damage if it hits an enemy, but explodes if you trigger it manually before it lands a hit. Upgrade explosion power or radius.

Countzandor
TIGBaby

NO!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »

I dont have a suggestion for a specific skill per say but, I kinda looked Who, Me? into the history of warlocks and stuff, and it seems like the main thing about them is : they always break their word, Cool which kinda means betrayer, so maybe he can set traps on the ground or something. Perhaps anything that would trick all the mobs running at him
Ai7iS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »

Back with some more skill ideas:

The Warlock could have an area of effect with damage over time spell.  When the enemies enter the radius of the spell, they begin taking damage.  The possible upgrades could be the radius of the spell, amount of time the spell lasts, damage the spell deals, and, perhaps, additional effects (assuming this does not make it overpowered). 

The second skill could be a continuous magic spell.  Unlike the chain lightning, with this spell the player can deal continuous damage, rather than the single shot.  Additionally, depending on the type of the spell, this can do a secondary effect (like ice slowing characters).  Potential levels include increased damage, decreased mana/mp consumption, and increased range.

The last new skill I propose is a trap that the player lays down.  With this skill, the player can lay a trap and drive enemies into it.  When the enemies run into, it explodes killing enemy enemies within the blast radius.  Leveling up this skill can improve the size of the trap (making it more difficult for the enemy to avoid), damage, decreased mana consumption, difficulty to detect (I was thinking with this skill you could make it so more intelligent enemies find it easier to see the trap), and increased blast radius.

I have also come with a possible improvement to my force push skill/spell.  This spell pushes enemies outward in all directions, giving you and nearby allies time to recover and think.  It also damages the enemies, or, for a short time stuns them (or both).  Possible level ups to this skill include increased power (pushes them further or does more damage) and decreased mp consumption.  If anyone can think of more improvements that can be made to this skill through leveling, that would be great.

That is all I have thought of for now.  If I think of any more ideas, I will be sure to post if ideas are still needed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:05:34 PM by Ai7iS » Logged
editmode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:04 PM »

Wow, looks fantastic. Gave a Yes vote on Steam Greenlight.

Might be an idea to have a run button/double tap dash for use outside of combat, for quick exploration and backtracking.

Also re: Warlock abilities, how about the ability to syphon some HP/MP from the closest teammate? Those "I need to backstab you temporarily for the greater good don't hate me" moments in co-op games are always fun.

UFO Dad coming soon!
Ziggurat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »

I love the style, it looks beautiful.

btw I recognize your avatar from quake3world le forum, are you the same hipshot? if so, I loved the velvet yard. thank you for that.
macaronies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

Ohhhhh want want want.

Also, how about a melee/ranged hybrid for the Warlock? You've already got 2 ranged classes and just 1 melee. Maybe have a spell that turns the warlock's dagger into a sword or scythe that drains life over time, but leeches life from monsters and adds damage and splash? The other spells could be AoE debuffs that cast from the warlock in a nova. Maybe one that enfeebles and one that increases damage taken? Or one that grants lifeleech to an enemy's attacker?
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »

Thanks for all ideas, some of these, we already have and some are incorporated into other characters. However, a lot of them are good and we do read everything everyone writes.
 What's important is that the warlock needs to be able to stand on his own and not feel like he is only a supportive character and the skills should be made so that it encourages the players to move around and engage in combat, that's why we removed the summoning skill from the start.

We have had a testing version out to some people, just to see how the game plays and see how it works for others with their computers. Some guys from Australia had a little stream while playing, it was fun and good to watch.
 Seeing them play pretty much is what I feel like it will be for most people that starts directly with coop, a bit more confusing because you often play faster, still since the game is pretty simple you learn after a while. They started off with the "shared HP" switch, I don't know if that's a good switch to start with =)

I love the style, it looks beautiful.

btw I recognize your avatar from quake3world le forum, are you the same hipshot? if so, I loved the velvet yard. thank you for that.

The same - didn't know anyone from Q3W was around these parts, fun!

Some graphics and dev things!

I added a small floppy disc as an icon for our waypoints, seems like that would be something that people would understand, it's used everywhere as a sign of saving.

On the minimap, it's orange, I thought green was sticking out too much...
The blue spot is the marker for the paladin, right now, every paladin will be using this icon, which I'm sure will be pretty confusing if you have four of them. A better system would probably be to have like "1P" and "2P" inside to tell witch icon belongs to which player more clearly. Right now we have no such system, so if, that's for later (writing the players name above the icon is probably the best solution).

As a spawner graphics for the bats, I made a small wooden stump with a crack inside it. Bat usually hangs in trees, under house roofs and also in caves, but I just couldn't fit that into the game.

You can also see the spike from the flower sticking up there when I was walking close to it.

In the levels, there are letters hidden in secrets, some are easy to get, some harder. Right now, they don't do anything, but in the end I think we might trigger something on the last level if you collect them all.

Floor 1, 2 and 3. The last one is hardest to figure out how to retrieve.

Myran added his difficulty switches to the coop server lobby, let's players play around with how hard or easy the game should be. There will also be real easy, medium and hard modes of course. The current level of difficulty could probably be seen as a easy-mid challenge right now, without any of these switches.

We played in hardcore with a single HP, that was awesome, you really need to focus on not getting hit, this will most likely be an achievement later on.

Ant
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:19 AM »

well this is coming along rather splendidly Hand Thumbs Up Right
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »

I guess I could write this, since everyone else do, but at the moment, Hammerwatch is #50 at GL. It took a little bit more than three weeks but the last one and a half week, the rate has been dropping pretty quick. There should be a new GL pick for valve soon, that should probably give us a few more numbers, when they remove items in higher places.

edit: #48
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:06:22 AM by Hipshot » Logged

Slushy_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2013, 06:00:29 AM »

Good luck with greenlight , I am so loving the look of this

I make Indie Game preview vids  Smiley
dincicode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »

The best game iv seen here so far!

Graphics artist with more then 7 years of experience in Illustrating Comics, Designing Characters, Making Game Cut Scenes, Posters, and Covers among other things.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic