Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:06:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHammerwatch - On Steam the 12th
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch - On Steam the 12th  (Read 173586 times)
alfapf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »

I need to adjust my Xbox controller's deadzone. Neither of the ranged characters shoot straight in front of them when there's no input from the left thumb-stick.

I've gotta say, When I first looked into the game, I thought it really needed to be procedurally generated, I thought that playing the same thing twice would bring my enjoyment down a lot. Nowadays, I really like your idea of possibly having pockets of procedural generation--- Cause these levels are great. You really did a bang up job on them.

+1 about level generator. Maybe it'll be better to make it, and concentrate on levels with bosses?
theSchap
Level 0

Sleepwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »

I agree that there is a slight problem with the pacing. I think the level design is fantastic as far as how far away enemies aggro and how much you can see at a time, so I don't want that to change. I think dash, teleport, or charge would be great for traversing the map, and backtracking to clean up enemies or barrels. I don't know how many times I did a quick double tap on the key hoping to dash (I was playing a Ranger).

I think I saw this somewhere else, but I think it would add a lot of fun to the game.

Fantastic work so far!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2013, 04:50:14 AM »

Well, the increased move speed and also the added rest speed should increase the pacing of the game a bit. I don't really like sprint as a feature in games like this... I know it could be a good thing, but I hope the rest speed will do it.

We aim to get out a updated beta this weekend, with several bug fixes and problems solved.

Like, more map fixes. Now you need to explore the map, it's not revealed beforehand (the green shroud is removed when exploring).
Since we can't color the map where you walk, I'm trying to make sure all other parts are colored and not transparent (unless you set it to be). So I just added the "water" sections to the map too, less confusing that way.

The exploring part is really nice. It feels good to explore and discover things like this.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:55:44 AM by Hipshot » Logged

theSchap
Level 0

Sleepwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2013, 08:37:29 AM »

Exploration has always been one of my favorite pieces of a game. I'm not sure how you guys plan to do the fog reveal, but it's fun to search the map overlay for small hallways that you missed. It's rewarding to find new areas or rooms in this way, that a general radius around the player doesn't always do.
TheVulcan
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »

Well, the increased move speed and also the added rest speed should increase the pacing of the game a bit. I don't really like sprint as a feature in games like this... I know it could be a good thing, but I hope the rest speed will do it.

We aim to get out a updated beta this weekend, with several bug fixes and problems solved.

Like, more map fixes. Now you need to explore the map, it's not revealed beforehand (the green shroud is removed when exploring).
Since we can't color the map where you walk, I'm trying to make sure all other parts are colored and not transparent (unless you set it to be). So I just added the "water" sections to the map too, less confusing that way.

The exploring part is really nice. It feels good to explore and discover things like this.

That looks really good i was going to comment on what you could see on the map for the simple fact it was to exploration friendly. One thing id like to note if it would be possible on the map to make it black overlay and when you walk around the map is revealed in a soft smooth way i don't know how to explain it but as if you put a light there and part of the map is revealed but then i wouldn't know the structure on what the map is built on and what you can do.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2013, 12:43:57 AM »

That looks really good i was going to comment on what you could see on the map for the simple fact it was to exploration friendly. One thing id like to note if it would be possible on the map to make it black overlay and when you walk around the map is revealed in a soft smooth way i don't know how to explain it but as if you put a light there and part of the map is revealed but then i wouldn't know the structure on what the map is built on and what you can do.

Yea, I understand what you mean. Like it is when you're playing starcraft, or any other RTS for that matter.

But, I haven't seen this much in rpgs like this, mostly because they usually are more zoomed in right?

suicidalstick
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2013, 01:11:24 AM »

Me and my friend got destroyed by the boss at the end of act 1 of the beta, and I'd like to offer some feedback of the paladin.

I really love the music and the art style, keep it up!

The "bash" passive of the paladin is really underwhelming, it costs a whopping 700 gold or so, and seems kind of useless. Most mobs die really fast, and if it's one of the elite mobs, the stun chance is % based, so you can't rely on in it to help you.

Maybe change it to a guaranteed bash attack on a 5 second cooldown (makes your sword glow when ready?), it would require skill to use properly instead of relying on luck. Or change the passive altogether?

In it's current form it doesn't really add anything to the paladin in my opinion.

In act 1 without his shield or healing there's no safe way of dealing with ranged creeps. The exception being pulling all of them and slaughtering them when they turn around the corner, before they have the chance to shoot. I think this makes it a bit trickier to play the paladin single player.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »

Ok, I just added all the final tunes to the project.

These are the guys who made the music
http://www.facebook.com/twofeathersstudio

• Hammerwatch - Menu
  • At the Gates - Act 1
  • Further In - Act 1
  • Slightly Mad - Boss
  • Defeated the Boss - When a boss is killed
  • The Armory - Act 2
  • Metal Chambers - Act 2
  • Pens and Swords - Act 3
  • Runes and Destiny - Act 3
  • Heroes Never Die - Act 4
  • Really Mad! - Final Boss
  • Paladin Needs Food, Badly! - All Bonus levels

In act 1 without his shield or healing there's no safe way of dealing with ranged creeps. The exception being pulling all of them and slaughtering them when they turn around the corner, before they have the chance to shoot. I think this makes it a bit trickier to play the paladin single player.

But you can buy the shield on floor 3, but you meant that you feel the need to use it earlier on?

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 07, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »

Ok, here the updated beta!
http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/hammerwatch_beta_1.01.zip

The game should be overall more enjoyable, both in SP and coop.

The following change list is a cut and paste job, from steam =)

Money:
  • Money is not shared with other players when spent anymore. To see how much money players have, press the map button (default tab).
  • Costs and money drops have been tweaked for a more individual balance. Skilled players should feel spending money on damage is more rewarding, players not so good would be wise to spend a little more on health and armor upgrades.

Difficulty level:
  • The game should now be easier. Some people think the game is too easy - while some find it to be too hard. We are trying to balance things for the entire game and we felt that the first act could be played faster for a more enjoyable experience. Later on, when we add difficult levels to choose from, player could pick a level that suits them better.

Map/minimap:
  • Exploring is added to the game. The map is revealed as you travel, should be much easier to see where you been and not.
  • Enemies are also added to the map, they are represented by red squares.
  • Icons and such have been looked over and some have been changed, it should now be much easier to see vendors and what vendor that is, exits and such.

Controller functionality:
  • Added a direction restriction (8 angles), to make it easier to hit with ranged characters with a controller (could be turned off in the settings).

Walk speed:
  • Start speed of the player is now slightly faster.
  • Added a "rest speed" feature. When not in combat, player speed will increase slowly over time, should improve backtracking if so needed. When entering combat the player is slowed down to his default speed again.

Combo vendor/skill:
  • Our new kill-combo skill is now in the game. The combo system is a way to give the player a boost when killing 10 enemies in a rapid succession. When this boost is triggered, the player will run faster and hit harder. This skill can also be upgraded with a self healing and a magic nova that shoots out from the body of the hero. The time required between every kill is pretty tight at start but this can also be upgraded to make it easier to trigger. The new vendor is located at Floor 1 and Floor 2 and is indicated by a star.

Potion vendor:
  • On the boss level, you will now be able to purchase potions and extra life. This will obviously not be cheap!

Another vitality vendor:
  • Placed another vitality skill on floor 3, she allows the hero to purchase another level of health and mana upgrades.

Ranger and dodge:
  • The ranger can now buy a skill called dodge in the defense store (floor 3), it gives him a 10% chance to avoid a hit if a enemy strikes him (and hits). When this happens, the character will turn black for a short while to indicate the dodge.

We have also fixed of bugs, improved the performance a lot and built OpenAL into the game, so no need to download that any more.

Since we don't have an official mac-build yet, you need to download and install mono to play on one.
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:56:30 AM by Hipshot » Logged

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »

I'm downloading this right now.
I hope it's as good as it sounds!

youmightbecancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »

New build no longer works via MonoDevelop for me.

When I hit "Run", the game opens up fine as it did - then freezes momentarily after opening on the menu screen(s).

don\'t we all just die? http://surrealvitriol.tumblr.com/
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »

When I hit "Run", the game opens up fine as it did - then freezes momentarily after opening on the menu screen(s).

Does the game generate a crashlog?

youmightbecancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:47 AM »

Does the game generate a crashlog?

My bad, I should have read the readme.txt!

This is the error.txt created:
----- SHADER ERROR - HMWB 1.01 -----
shaders/applyshadow.glsl - fragment:
ERROR: 0:10: 'clamp' : no matching overloaded function found

-----
shaders/drawao.glsl - fragment:
ERROR: 0:13: 'max' : no matching overloaded function found

-----
shaders/drawmap.glsl - fragment:
ERROR: 0:11: 'f' : syntax error syntax error
ERROR: Parser found no code to compile in source strings.

-----

Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 08, 2013, 06:31:15 AM »

Why are you running it with MonoDevelop and not just the regular mono command?
Also, what graphics card do you have?
youmightbecancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »

Why are you running it with MonoDevelop and not just the regular mono command?
Also, what graphics card do you have?

This is the only way I know how to run through Mono, and it was working before with just a few graphical errors. Don't know anything about this program i'm afraid.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Macbook Pro
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:46:33 PM by youmightbecancer » Logged

Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »

That is really weird, we have had some people have problems with the game running with the wrong working directory but if the menu actually renders then that's not the problem you're having.
What version of Mono are you using?
raowyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

It was working in the previous version - now I unzipped the new beta and "it seems like OpenAL" is missing Sad Any ideas?
Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »

Yeah, just delete the OpenAL32.dll from the folder and it should work. It seems like the OpenAL software implementation I added to the zip file doesn't work for a bunch of people, which is really annoying.
raowyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »

deleted the OpenAL dll from the hammerwatch folder. No dice. Nabbed OpenAL from http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip and installed. I have pleasant Hammerwatch sound now. Just in case anyone else runs into this- it's worth a shot.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »

exceelent on greenlight Smiley

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic