Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 12:59:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHammerwatch - On Steam the 12th
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch - On Steam the 12th  (Read 174174 times)
Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

Melting Brains With Sound Waves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: August 08, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »

Congratulations, what an achievement!
spykez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »

Hiya guys! Just registered.

I'm a big fan of the game and I'd like to make a suggestion for the developers (who doesn't?)

I feel like this game would be a PERFECT match to be ported onto the newly released OUYA console. I've had mine for a few weeks and the console is definitely THE couch playing multiplayer console to have. I can't count the hours me and my buddies have spent in TowerFall, Hidden in Plain Sight, RED and other brilliant couch multiplayer games.

Here's the deal, there's a lack of games exactly like yours on the console at the moment. If you would shift priorities to port the game ASAP you would definitely gain immeasurable ATTENTION from the internet community when the game would be released. You can contact TowerFall's dev Matt Thorson and ask him for further details. His game is on the OUYA for $15 (among the most expensive games on the console, hasn't stopped it though) and has been the most popular game there to date (over 2000 copies sold in about a month, the console has been having problems meeting demand and the playerbase is expanding rapidly).

TowerFall is local multiplayer only, with a lot less content and gamemodes than Hammerwatch yet TowerFall has been ALL over the internet in articles and online communities and I'd like to see your game gain the same traction. I've seen tons of interviews and articles all praising his game and I have no doubt your game would gain the same if not more attention as his.

I'm completely serious when I say if this game were to be released there it would with 95% certainty be THE killer app on the console and gain tons of attention and sales as well, of course. There is a demand and YOUR game can supply! Seriously, on the PC your game is one in an ocean of indies but on the newly released OUYA you'd be a shining beacon of brilliance. Personally, I'd make a port a no. 1 priority just for the media and social attention your game would definitely get.

Please consider this both from a business and marketing standpoint. Hopefully porting the game isn't a huge task, it's supposedly a snap on Unity developed games. I've also read from developers that Team OUYA are hugely helpful and you'd probably have no problem making somesort of business del with them, or just be in contact them for help and other things. I have no doubt that this game would KILL on the OUYA, and who doesn't want to play a game like this on the couch with 3 of your buddies? Just like back in the Gauntlet days.

Biggest problems would be the level editor and multiplayer since OUYA haven't added a framework there for online play but I'm pretty sure developers can add their own.

I've already preordered the game but I'd buy it again on the OUYA in a heartbeat just for the controller and TV experience and local multiplayer goodyness.

I feel like I'm talking like a marketer but I assure you I'm just a fan who saw the Yogscast videos and when I got the OUYA I was sad to see a lack of longer RPG type, dungeon crawler games and made a (in my opinion) brilliant connection.

Hopefully you'll consider this seriously. I know it must be an incredibly busy time for you so close to release now.

Thank you!

Congrats. I joined only to tell you how stupid this long and redundant post is.

1) You tell them, after all the time they've spent developing this, to shift their priorities over to a console that's quickly becoming a paperweight. You may know a few people who love the console but if you read the worldwide reaction to it, it's a sinking ship. People sold theirs within the first week they got it.

2) You're "95% certainty be THE killer app on the console and gain tons of attention and sales" eh? This is the fun thing about the internet, people can just take any figure they want out of their rectum and post it as it's a fact. You do realize gauntlet is a game of many years ago, was a huge failure on the conole market when they were released for the gamecube, n64 and playstation right? You know why it was a failure? The market it was targeting was a young crowd and no one knew what Gauntlet is. It's a game us old timers who used to play the arcade machine at drive in theaters know about. So guaranteeing the developers your 95% certain of success makes you look like a child wanting to push your toy on everyone.

To the developers, just got the beta, going to play it then more than likely going to pre-order it. I'm a sucker for indie games that bring back old school ideas Smiley
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: August 11, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

I played the beta and it really shows signs of brilliance.  I'm not one to play a game by myself for very long, but the game had a perfect level of difficulty for me, so I played it for a few hours and had to force myself to quit! I immediately bought a 4-pack and passed it around to my friends! Great work and congrats on being Greenlit =)

OldPeculier
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: August 12, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »

I can't wait to play the game—it looks awesome! I bought it on Steam today, but am disappointed to find that it doesn't run. Initially it didn't run at all (Steam thinks it's launching the process, nothing happens, then Steam thinks the process is over). I updated Mono. Now Hammerwatch runs but just shows a black screen.

I downloaded the beta and try running "mono Hammerwatch.exe" from the Terminal. It seems to run but there's no visual output. I kill it with Ctrl+C.

Anything I can send you to help with debugging on Mac?
spykez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »

This game really needs a save system. It's 2013 and we're still being limited to console crap. This game doesn't exactly have a lot of save spots, and for us who are constantly busy who only get to game for 20-30 minutes here and there, it's:

1) Tiresome to backtrack through whole levels to get to a save spot.
2) Annoying trying to find a new save spot close to where you left off.

I seriously don't understand what it is with developers and their hardones for this irritating checkpoint system.

Other than this. The game is absolutely fantastic. Maybe some ideas:

For us who have gamepads, the unchecking the locking 8 directions is kind of buggy with an analog, it doesn't really seem to matter where my joystick is, the direction of the fire is very...inaccurate.

The combo meter loses it's status too quick. You have to constantly re-position yourself as a ranged hero as to not get hit by projectiles, and that 1 second it takes to move and re-aim you lose the counter.

Keep up the good work devs! You have a gem here!
Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 12, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »

I can't wait to play the game—it looks awesome! I bought it on Steam today, but am disappointed to find that it doesn't run. Initially it didn't run at all (Steam thinks it's launching the process, nothing happens, then Steam thinks the process is over). I updated Mono. Now Hammerwatch runs but just shows a black screen.

I downloaded the beta and try running "mono Hammerwatch.exe" from the Terminal. It seems to run but there's no visual output. I kill it with Ctrl+C.

Anything I can send you to help with debugging on Mac?
Can you try starting it with "mono Hammerwatch.exe log" and post the game.txt here?
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »

I'm not finding it very fun in single player (though it certainly shines with polish) but it does seem like it would be a blast with friends, though I might need to find the auto-fire option. Hopefully I'll try it like that soon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:44:07 PM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
legsbackwards
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 13, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »

Hi everyone! Just signed up because my girlfriend and I just both bought the game on steam (Win 8 & MacOSX) and we both got different bugs! Mine says something about sending an error log but only has a single ok button, which closes the alert. My lady gets the game to launch to a black screen Sad
My flatmate is playing it already which makes me sad because we could be jamming magical 3 player madness !!!
Any help would be appreciated! Can I do anything to help?

edit: I found a file called error.txt seems relevant?
And it turns out MacOSX gets the same error text as mine, it just takes about 5mins of black screen before it pops up.

Sorry for massive long code block, error.txt from Win8 machine:
Code:
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:01:50 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsModeException: Device Primary: {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080} (207 modes available): Failed to change resolution to {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080}x32@29Hz.
   at OpenTK.DisplayDevice.ChangeResolution(DisplayResolution resolution)
   at OpenTK.DisplayDevice.ChangeResolution(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 bitsPerPixel, Single refreshRate)
   at OpenTK.NativeWindow..ctor(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, String title, GameWindowFlags options, GraphicsMode mode, DisplayDevice device)
   at OpenTK.NativeWindow..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, String title, GameWindowFlags options, GraphicsMode mode, DisplayDevice device)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, GraphicsMode mode, String title, GameWindowFlags options, DisplayDevice device, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags, IGraphicsContext sharedContext)
   at ARPGGame.ARPGGame..ctor(DisplayDevice device, XElement options, Int32 width, Int32 height, GameWindowFlags fullscreen, StartParameters sp) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 270
   at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 191
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:02:00 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsModeException: Device Primary: {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080} (69 modes available): Failed to change resolution to {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080}x32@29Hz.
   at OpenTK.DisplayDevice.ChangeResolution(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 bitsPerPixel, Single refreshRate)
   at OpenTK.NativeWindow..ctor(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, String title, GameWindowFlags options, GraphicsMode mode, DisplayDevice device)
   at OpenTK.NativeWindow..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, String title, GameWindowFlags options, GraphicsMode mode, DisplayDevice device)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, GraphicsMode mode, String title, GameWindowFlags options, DisplayDevice device, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags, IGraphicsContext sharedContext)
   at ARPGGame.ARPGGame..ctor(DisplayDevice device, XElement options, Int32 width, Int32 height, GameWindowFlags fullscreen, StartParameters sp) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 270
   at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 191
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:02:09 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsModeException: Device Primary: {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080} (69 modes available): Failed to change resolution to {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080}x32@29Hz.
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:03:06 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:04:38 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:12:20 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:12:44 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:17:50 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
------
--- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - 13/08/2013 8:19:57 p.m. - HMW 1.0 ---
------

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:27:32 AM by legsbackwards » Logged
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: August 13, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »

Just bought it and love it so far!
I also really enjoy the CRT emulation, it really feels like home now.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Myran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 14, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »

Hi everyone! Just signed up because my girlfriend and I just both bought the game on steam (Win 8 & MacOSX) and we both got different bugs! Mine says something about sending an error log but only has a single ok button, which closes the alert. My lady gets the game to launch to a black screen Sad
My flatmate is playing it already which makes me sad because we could be jamming magical 3 player madness !!!
Any help would be appreciated! Can I do anything to help?

edit: I found a file called error.txt seems relevant?
And it turns out MacOSX gets the same error text as mine, it just takes about 5mins of black screen before it pops up.

Sorry for massive long code block, error.txt from Win8 machine:
Hey, sorry about taking so long to answer, this error should be fixed in the patch we put out yesterday. If you didn't get the patch try forcing Steam to download it by doing verify game cache.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »

Love the game, but there's zero replay value..
A friend and I wiped on the first boss, but none of us felt like playing again because it takes too much long to get there and it's the same enemies and layout.

I get a feeling that the better parts of the game doesn't begin until the later level.
But getting there is tedious, combat gets dull with only one special ability and not enough mana..

The upgrades you can buy feel like they're too far apart and too few to make much difference, you don't feel like you're progressing that fast.

Killing the same types of enemies gets old really fast, the added stronger variants become really annoying because they take take longer to kill without any added flavor or interesting mechanics.

Enemies always go straight towards you, they either attack in melee or shoot tiny projectiles.
(the spike thing being a very welcomed exception)

There's not enough variation here, there are millions of different types of enemies you can make, ones that explode, ones that shoot beams, ones that charge at you, ghosts that fade in and out, enemies that avoid you and attack from a distance, enemies that place bombs, enemies that slow you down, enemies with knockback, area effects, enemies burrowing into the ground, enemies that multiply..

So yeah, killing the same larvae, bats and beetles for an hour or so is not very fun, not as fun as it could be with more enemy types.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:50 AM »

Very aware about the zero replay value, really, you can replay the game with some other class, but I know that is sometimes too much to ask for. We need to sort that out somehow, ad more features that isn't connected to the static campaign as much or that makes the campaign more dynamic perhaps.

About enemies, that will also be looked into, I have many times stated that I want enemies to do more things, like charge, have more advanced magic so they can slow the player, drop bombs etc.

All these issues really need to be sorted out, but not right now, later on in patches as I see it. We can't really patch the levels right now either, because we will break all save games, so any updates to the levels will have to wait a while.

Having said that, we sold about 12000 units on steam the first 24h and then we had some 2500 pre-sales (I think). So, yea, this is a good launch and makes us able to patch and add things to this game to improve it.

next step is to add trading cards I think...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:14:38 AM by Hipshot » Logged

Dayvi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2013, 02:28:02 AM »

Hipshot, How many Yes votes did you have when you got greenlit?

Those sales sound fantastic! £50,000 day one :D wow!

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2013, 04:48:21 AM »

Grats on those sales!
I also checked out the editor, that will keep me busy for quite some time, I would have bought the game solely for the editor.
With custom dialogue for npcs, you could make some really cool stuff.

As for replayability.
You can always have certain select things be randomized. Like rare mobs, certain traps, special loot.
It wouldn't have to be completely random, you could have each merchant npc spawn in 1 out of 3 possible places and fill the other places with mobs.

DantronLesotho
Level 2

Video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »

Congrats on the sales! Glad to see it's an early success (at least that much volume would seem like a success) Hand Clap
Orange Tang
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »

Any chance of random level generation? Rogue-like type dungeons? I feel that would increase replay value tremendously.  Gentleman
spykez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »

I'm only in Lvl 2 and getting bored with it. The maggots are irritating as hell to fight as any class. You get such a huge swarm of them and their projectiles come as huge mobs that you have to constantly move around hit hit move all around. As a spell caster, with VERY short range on attacks you have to rely on your 1 spell and you'd think they'd have a higher mana regen.

As the guy above said, new skills and such are too far in between. The combo skill is near useless. I was under the impression there was more of a skill tree but I should have looked more into that.

Maybe adding an item screen where we can equip loot and stuff..that'd really make this game shine. It'd take a little more work but would def make this game a lot better.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #417 on: August 20, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »

I like this game a lot! Biggest two things I want out of it:

- Editor with Steam Workshop support
- More classes (especially melee)
Skrofler
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »

The long wait for Gauntlet IV is over. Any ETA on the DRM-free version?
Deammer
Level 0

games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »

I've been having a ton of fun playing this game. It starts a bit slow, but when you get to the chambers, the combat is non-stop and hectic and it's really hard to put down the controller.

Level design/enemy placement is really well done, and i've rarely seen such a high level of polish.

My only issue is that due to the size of the levels, i don't always find the motivation to go search for every secret/portal/chest. Instead of increasing the speed of the player (which i think feels really good as it is), i would suggest turning the checkpoints into fast-travel locations. This would allow players to teleport to areas that they have already cleared and 100% the levels without having to walk across the level multiple times. Just my two cents Smiley

Congrats on an awesome game!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic