Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:19:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHammerwatch - On Steam the 12th
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch - On Steam the 12th  (Read 173595 times)
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:35 AM »

Update #5

AI
Ok, so Myran sat down and made some bugfixes to the AI (these are not yet represented in any video), but to sum it all up, he made the AI much tighter. In previous builds, the AI could move and attack at the same time, this made it very hard to kill enemies that were as fast or close to as fast as the player, without taking damage, now they work as the player, they need to stop when they attack, so they are much easier to avoid. Another big thing was that they could hit the player without even looking at him, this is also fixed so now you could actually run behind an enemy and strike him in the back, if you're fast enough! Systems like these rewards skilled players and me myself feel it added a lot to the game play experience! It's only the ranged AI that have some odd behavior left and also, the AI can sometimes slide around like they were on ice if they walks into each other.

Online/LAN MP!
It's just so great, now we have working online and LAN mp. It's such a difference playing online compared to sitting on the same computer. You are free to walk where ever you want, the screen doesn't adjust to all players on the same screen and so forth. Being unchained really makes you wanna break the party and go explore for yourself, but it could be very dangerous, since the scaling of enemy life and damage goes up the more players are in the game.

This also means that we soon will be able to have proper beta testing with people that are not developers of this game. However, this will most likely not be a public thing, in the beginning at least.

Theme B
Theme B - Armory. It's based on the old Archives look we had, same brown walls but higher and with much more detail.

The idea with the themes is to increase the detail level a little bit all the time, so that you feel that you travel to more civilized and richer parts of the castle

Theme B, Armory...

to compare with Theme A, Prison

This is the same E1M1-puzzle that I did with the old graphics, compare the

video with this and see the graphical difference.

I did a small survival script test level, just to see how it would feel in this game. Obviously with a proper system, that's gonna be awesome, collect loot and upgrade in between the waves - in COOP.

Oh wow. I watched the videos you posted and you captured the hectic combat of gauntlet perfectly! I used to sit and play it on the NES with my mother and it's one of my fondest gaming memories.

I'd love to see a barbarian-type class complete with axe throwing if you're still creating character archetypes for players to select. I know you've got four types right now, but Monaco is also a four player co-op game with a cast of more than four characters.

Thank you! We really hope, even though we're going in a direction more and more to a modern action rpg, stay true to the fast and accurate action of older games.

We have already designed our characters and it was important to have a melee only fighter in the game. But I'm not against the axe thrower idea at all, if we are given the opportunity later on, I wouldn't mind to add a DLC/patch fifth hero to the lineup, that is a pure warrior, not a fighter/healer like the paladin. In the mean time, you will have to do with the axe throwing enemies =)

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

Loving this, looks very fast paced and easy to pick up.
Being somewhat of a roguelike, have you considered creating levels procedurally? It's great to head into a dungeon not knowing what to expect every time you play. http://teknopants.com/2011/05/shoot-first/ is a great example.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

Loving this, looks very fast paced and easy to pick up.
Being somewhat of a roguelike, have you considered creating levels procedurally? It's great to head into a dungeon not knowing what to expect every time you play. http://teknopants.com/2011/05/shoot-first/ is a great example.

No, we don't have that, we have had ideas for it. But I think we need to patch this one in. I know this is a big replayability thing but I hope our gameplay is solid enough to play at least one more time =)

The random idea we had was not to generate an entire level, but instead to be able to make selected parts of a level random, than we could keep our design somehow intact, but make the experience different every time.

Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »

This looks awesome.  God bless you for making a hotseat multiplayer game!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 03:57:49 AM »

So, I just created a small woman in orange suit and red belt (she also turns her head), it's going to be one of our vendors. It might be possible that we just use the same vendor all over the game, but change the clothing color or so, if she sells other things. Just to make it easier for the player to understand the function without having to enter the shop and easier for use, so we don't need to think of 20 different vendor styles to make.

The speech bubble might not be there in the game later on, but it's a good way to call upon attention and make it harder to miss the vendor. Even if they are going to be marked on the minimap, people will run past them and become annoyed that they need to go back. She has her little wagon besides her and also stands on a carpet. I had an idea to place the carpet in front of her, and then place some wares there... it will probably look pretty neat.

I'm not gonna lie, it would be great to build this for real, out of wood or something. I bet we would get a lot of press if I maimed a dragon with it.

(Sorry for scrolling)

This looks awesome.  God bless you for making a hotseat multiplayer game!

Thanks! I hope the man upstairs are reading these forums =)

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »

Animations for meteor strike and heal/all.

The paladin rams his holy sword into the ground and heals every other member of the team, including himself. Right now, over the whole level, might have to tweak that later though and for those who wonder, often it's a yellow color for healing since it's a paladin, but like this, it's consistent with all other healing factors, like picking up food.

While the Wizard is calling in meteors, he's stuck in this summoning animation and can be damaged there, so one needs to make sure to not place himself in a spot where doing this will get him killed.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 01:14:15 AM »

I'm not gonna lie, it would be great to build this for real, out of wood or something. I bet we would get a lot of press if I maimed a dragon with it.
I think you'd get a lot of praise if you found a dragon, and a lot of hate if you then maimed it.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »

ooOOoo... This looks fun.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 11:30:18 PM »

Ooh, this couldn't be any more on my radar if it was a bogey and I was an air-traffic controller with a really bad cold. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »

Thanks a lot guys!

Ok, so here's our current design for skills, what they do and which class does what. Most of these are currently not in the game yet, but it should a small thing getting these in there. Some coding and additional graphical effects.

Once again, I'm just really sorry for all the scrolling on this page =)

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »

One of our puzzle types.

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »

This is so awesome, I love the "tiny" pixel art style.
I strongly recommend procedural level generation  Hand Thumbs Up Left Well, hello there! Hand Thumbs Up Right
overlordror
Level 0

Editor-in-chief of bears

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »

Ohhh puzzles! You just made this a thousand times more interesting. Will you be incorporating any puzzles into the multi-player aspect where you need more than one person in order to solve a room?

http://NintyGamer.com | Managing Editor
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:26 AM »

Ohhh puzzles! You just made this a thousand times more interesting. Will you be incorporating any puzzles into the multi-player aspect where you need more than one person in order to solve a room?

Hmm... there are various issues - with answering this question. First is, that I'm not sure if we at the moment can make scripts that requires more than one person to trigger, we "probably" can. Second, the design, if we add a puzzle like that, we also needs to make sure there are ways to complete it in SP mode and that probably requires a differently scripted puzzle that will replacing the MP one, I don't know how we will do here.

It's a really fun thing and probably a good marketing aspect of a game, but we have just so little time to do everything we wanna do =) With or current set of features.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:15 AM »

Not sure if that would be feasible (under your current features-set or with as little additional work as possible), but you could design specific areas of your maps to change depending on the number of players.

So in a given, specific room, you would get a bunch of enemies and a treasure chest; two switches which need to be activated simultaneously when 2 players; more complex puzzles on 3 and 4 players.

Again, not sure if that would be possible with little effort, or even a fun addition to begin with.

Alternatively, you could simply add option areas which require more than one player to be accessed. These would act as optional paths/content which are not strictly required to advance in SP mode. An optional path would be opened only by solving the according puzzle, which would require at least a given number of players (2, 3 or 4).

I think the latter could be a good solution, as no specific tech would be required to be implemented (you just design the additional paths and puzzles). One caveat would be that you could need to clearly convey if a puzzle can be solved under the current number of players or not (players might be frustrated by repeatedly attempting to solve a puzzle which they do not realize needs more players to be solved).

I know for sure a number of games which feature MP puzzles as a core game mechanic but the only one I can remember atm would be Four Swords games from the Zelda series, both the GBA and NGC versions. In the NGB one, when playing SP mode, the same person controls all four Links at the same time (kind of overcaming the problem of making the game accessible even when not playing MP), while in the original different paths require an incresingly number of players to be accessed.

Hope this helps!  Smiley

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »

This game looks amazing  Smiley

Working on HeliBrawl
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

This game looks really good! Have been looking for good co-op games lately.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »

The colours and lightning remind me of Nox, in a very good way Smiley Great pixels too.

overlordror
Level 0

Editor-in-chief of bears

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »

The colours and lightning remind me of Nox, in a very good way Smiley Great pixels too.

Thanks for reminding me that I spent most of my highschool years playing Nox. Gonna see if GOG has it now... yes! It does!

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/nox

http://NintyGamer.com | Managing Editor
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »

Funny, because I was cooking up a 4-player top-down cooperative action RPG that I started working on right around the time this devlog was posted, but now it appears that I no longer have to continue working on it. Tongue

While the games do have some similarities, I think mines more of a Smash TV type game with some versus elements while yours is more pure Gauntlet style... But I have to say that I'm absolutely in love with the graphics!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic