Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:58:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlanetside 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 1354 times)
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »

So I have been playing Planetside 2 for the past week or so due to the hype and promising features. From what I can tell its a reasonably good game even if you don't pay for the in-game cash. But since I am logged into an Australian server it seems there's not many people playing it; ultimately resulting in boredom from the immense size of the map. If any of you are playing it are the American servers a bit more lively?

Who else is playing this and what do you think?

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

this game is a shit wrapped in a turd

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »

this game is a shit wrapped in a turd

Okay, why?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

it crashed every time I tried to launch it, so I just uninstalled it.

dum
Dragonmaw
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »

Mattherson is a massive clusterfuck of a server, so if you can deal with lag play there.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »

Everything is paid, you need to grind it for a week to unlock crappy +5% something upgrade. To unlock new gun, you need to work hard for month.
Also I think its addictive, but not really fun to play. You just run for several minutes and then you die from unseen random guy. People keep telling that its fun and less chaotic only with organised squads, but boo those people, TF2 is fun and full of team tactics without all that voicechat crap.
And life is totally worthless there: no penalties for death, no much reward for killing, instant respawn. That leads to dull infinite shooting between two spawnpoints, until some players logout. Warfare consists of getting large groups and capturing deserted based, while no one is online or fighting, so its either curb-stomp battle with several guards or tiresome frustrating siege.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 02:41:27 AM »

1.) Yeah the new weapon unlock grind is really bad, but you can get a lot of stuff for 100 certs or less (which is about 2 or 3 hours of play, or less if you are good).

2.) You only run for several minutes if you spawn at a point a million miles away. Spawn at a deployed Sunderer or point nearby and you'll be in the fight immediately.

3.) It's not hard to find a group of people to roll with. Look in the social interface for open squads.

4.) Certs are every 2.5 kills, so killing is actually the best reward in the game. Planetside 2 does not have instant respawn, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. The penalty for dying is losing time on the field.

5.) I've been in absolutely massive battles, with Liberators clogging the skies and huge tank divisions smashing into another enemy force. There's definitely large-scale warfare. If you want a more tactical experience, you can always play on a smaller server too.

Note that this post is not supposed to depict that I am universally positive about Planetside 2 (I'm not), just that you are misrepresenting it.
D-TurboKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:52 AM »

The game is horribly unoptimized and should've obviously been delayed to 2013 to fix all the outstanding issues, but instead they went and released it anyway to cash in as much as possible on "FPS Month" for some stupid reason.

In the worst cases, you might end up playing like this:

A real shame, because I wanted to try this out for a long while and mix in with all the insanely chaotic battles with a large group of teammates, but unfortunately I can't even run the bloody thing properly and it seems grindy as hell, so I pretty much stopped playing soon after release.

They seriously need to add some sort of goal as well. Right now you just fight for all eternity for territorial dominion and eventually silly bonuses for total domination. But it really needs an extra something. It needs a more meaningful goal, something that'll really keep you fighting the good fight, not just hopping into the nearest chaotic zone, even if you're with friends. I'm not sure what, though.

Also, I'd really, REALLY like to see some sort of AI faction to kick the shit out of everyone and change the game around every once in a while, so all 3 factions cooperate to push it back. Something like the aliens in Starship Troopers. Or alternatively make this "4th faction" wander around into territories and become a nuisance for the occupants, but a possible tactical advantage for the opposite factions.

With that said, this game has a LOT of potential. It just isn't nearly there yet, but perhaps the next year might turn it into a proper, stable, smooth gaming experience.

Oh, and they're planning to release a long-awaited "Performance Patch" for... January, I think? We'll see how that'll work out.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »

I can't say much about how fun the game is because it runs like a legless horse and even looking in the direction of a large firefight causes it to become a slideshow.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »

I can't say much about how fun the game is because it runs like a legless horse and even looking in the direction of a large firefight causes it to become a slideshow.

Ever wondered why a MMO FPS hasn't been attempted before?  Now you know.
HDSanctum
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

I enjoy this game, it ticks all the right boxes for me as far as FPS's go (good hit detection, headshots, sniper rifles). Air combat is also entertaining, however I strongly feel air to air missiles need to go. That being said, grab yourself the air to air missiles if you want to win 99% of air battles with minimal skill level. The learning curve for this game is relatively low compared to other FPS's, if you are good at FPS's you will definitely be able to consistently achieve a positive KDR in this game.

It's true that there is no incentive to defend land. In Guild Wars 2, the World vs World aspect is comparable to the Planetside 2 model, where they solved the issue of purpose/strategic objective by rewarding servers with points for holding/capturing objectives. In my opinion, Guild wars 2 successfully fostered an environment of player pride for their servers. Something that both games got 'wrong' was having 3 sides and 3 or 4 maps which are pretty much the same thing all over again. The fourth map in Guildwars 2 actually works though, because there is a huge point bonus to owning the big castle (35 points). But with 3 other maps split between 3 factions, guess what happens? Factions will tend to cluster and dominate a single map when the populations get too low to sustain a presence on multiple maps.

I disagree with people who insist that the game is incomplete. The game play is smooth without obvious flavour-of-the-month over-powered game-killers. Too many MMOs come out with a whole bunch of things to do right at the start, which actually translates to a whole bunch of things you will never do and never appreciate.

I think it's funny people say the game runs slow or there is some problem with the game making it slow. The game runs fine if your PC is up to date, try playing on a lower setting and reduce draw distance if there is a problem. There was obviously an internet lag issue with the video posted above. As a reference, my main is on Jaeger (NA server) and I play from Australia very comfortably. There are Australian servers too, FYI.
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »

The game is horribly unoptimized and should've obviously been delayed to 2013 to fix all the outstanding issues, but instead they went and released it anyway to cash in as much as possible on "FPS Month" for some stupid reason.

I agree, some of the mechanics and aspects of it just seem unfinished and unstable, corporate companies just need to know when their shit is real.

With that said, this game has a LOT of potential. It just isn't nearly there yet, but perhaps the next year might turn it into a proper, stable, smooth gaming experience.

Hopefully  Concerned

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

I think it's funny people say the game runs slow or there is some problem with the game making it slow. The game runs fine if your PC is up to date, try playing on a lower setting and reduce draw distance if there is a problem. There was obviously an internet lag issue with the video posted above.

The game running slow is a different issue other than the performance of your computer, its can be running at 30fps and drop to 2fps in a few seconds for no apparent reason other than what seems to be that your just lagging - which normally wouldn't drop fps, it would just have the typical skipping lag issues.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »

This game definitely has large-scale fights.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

I think it's funny people say the game runs slow or there is some problem with the game making it slow. The game runs fine if your PC is up to date

the game refuses to play for me, due to my graphics card. granted it is pretty old, it's held up against most games I've played recently. though I attribute though to most of those games being multiplatform/console ports.

even still, I find it odd that the game refuses to let me even try to play based on my graphics card.

ordering a new one soon though, and probably the first thing I'm going to do is try out planetside 2.
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »

Those screenshots look incredible, makes me wish my computer was a bit better to run it that beautifully Kiss

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »

I think it's funny people say the game runs slow or there is some problem with the game making it slow. The game runs fine if your PC is up to date

the game refuses to play for me, due to my graphics card. granted it is pretty old, it's held up against most games I've played recently. though I attribute though to most of those games being multiplatform/console ports.

even still, I find it odd that the game refuses to let me even try to play based on my graphics card.

ordering a new one soon though, and probably the first thing I'm going to do is try out planetside 2.

It sounds strange to me as well that it wouldn't let you in, what OS are you running it on?

EDIT: (Sorry for the double post, kinda just realized that after I had posted it  Giggle)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:20:38 PM by Trystin » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »

Hey cut out the doubleposting. Use edit.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »

I'm on windows 7, dont think that has anything to do with it though.
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »

I'm on windows 7, dont think that has anything to do with it though.

Yeah, I was just thinking maybe you had Win XP or something. Maybe try their forums and see if anybody else is having the problems?

Hey cut out the doubleposting. Use edit.

Yeah sorry, realised just as I posted. Sorry  Shrug

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic