Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:11:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRhythm Doctor - A Rhythm Heaven Style One-Button Hard-as-Nails Rhythm Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Rhythm Doctor - A Rhythm Heaven Style One-Button Hard-as-Nails Rhythm Game  (Read 39963 times)
fizzd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »

omgnoseat: Thanks! I'm defo not gonna adjust the leniency though, cause I think this is the sort of game which game-experience doesn't really help at all but rather music or rhythm-experience. e.g. playing CoD won't help one bit but playing the drums will. So there shouldn't be a hardcore - casual divide if you get what I mean.

This game would definitely work well for mobile though. I don't know if you coded it using Stage3D/starling but if you did you could probably port it to adobe air with a few command strokes. If not it might be a bit of work.

Yeah, I'm using FlashPunk (with StandingWave3 for the sound syncing issues). Flashpunk uses BitmapDatas and they're bad for mobile platforms, I seem to remember, so it's gonna be a lot of work. As far as exposure goes, I've got it on Kongregate now, hopefully it gains some momentum there too. Thanks for the pointers Reckahdam, btw just saying, I'm loving the drums on the Celestial Mechanica tracks! They sound really.. real.
nupanick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »

Yet another referral from maxanum, and yet another account made for this thread. Anyway, thoughts on the game in no particular order:

As a rhythm heaven 'vet' or whatever, I actually liked the visual business in the first level, because right away you're doing the trick RH3 did and forcing players to learn the rhythm, ditching the guitar hero instinct to "trust the screen, not the song."

This game may have a few bugs but it's still leaps and bounds over Pixel Pop, which is the earliest "flash rhythm heaven" I can think of off the top of my head. Whereas that game played the rhythm heaven formula straight but with less original music and more weird controls, I think this game really nails the spirit of the genre (if indeed it is its own genre now), which is to have the controls simple and the timings tight.

I agree that when the second track has been introduced but isn't yet playable, desaturating it would help divert attention. I personally think that after the first level we shouldn't even need the tutorial, and you could introduce all new mechanics by first hinting, then just dropping them in. This ended up happening to me anyway when I played stage 2 Night Shift before moving onto stage 3.

It's unfortunate that Adobe hasn't released an official port of Flash 11.5 for Ubuntu, as it means I have to boot into windows just to play this. I do understand why you did it though, because I have bad experience with flash rhythm games having totally different timing depending on which machine you play them on. Rhythm Doctor has the snappy response time of RH3 with a fully-charged controller as opposed to, say, RH1 running in VBA (emulation lag uuuuugh), or worse, SCGMDX4 (there should only have been threeeeeee).

The overlapping pattern mechanic compares favorably to the tried and true warioware team Remix mechanic, especially in the way it brings all the game's characters together in one song. The goofy characters and the mechanics they represent really capture the quirky feel of the patron series. I got a good chuckle at the way you used a lovestruck boy to introduce the "skipping heartbeats" mechanic.

The chinese count was an interesting touch. It's sort of familiar, actually...
...Wait. Hold everything. This is Rhythm Test. From the GBA. This is a fleshed out version of the zeroth level of the original rhythm tengoku. Just... wow. Talk about roots.

On the Night Shifts: way to go. I can't tell you how many times I've found a "hard mix" of a level to do little more than bring the difficulty from "easy" up to "normal." Night Shift challenged and inspired me. I was a little skeptical you could even DO a hardmode of stage 1, but I was pleasantly surprised by the wub action.

Hmm... Odd. I got to [spoiler removed] but not "bonus." that feels odd. Am I playing them out of order? [edit: fizzd says the bonus stage is permalocked in the kong version because of copyrighted music]

EDIT: Yeah, watched some let's plays and I've noticed that other people could play the "Bonus" between tiers 3 and 4, but that never unlocked for me, even after getting S rank on everything. That might be a gamebreaker. I'm gonna go back and see if intentionally failing every level once before beating it makes the scripting happier.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:23:41 AM by nupanick » Logged
X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:11 AM »

I really enjoyed this Game.
I Played it with Chrome without Pepper Plugin (11.4) and it was flawless.
The Moment of the 2.d Patient where the Girl appears is sooo romantic :D
Lets see what other awesome Patients you add Smiley

Great Work!

archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »

Really great, especially loved the hard mode of level one. Who wrote the music for level two? That's some seriously great stuff.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »

I played with Chrome and I didn't notice any lag at all, unless it was really subtle (like a few milliseconds).

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
chriskha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 01:18:58 AM »

I LOVE rhythm games. I only played the first few levels but this is very cool already. I like the music as well.
nupanick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »

So, just out of curiosity, did this ever get sponsored? Is there anything I can do to help get a full version of this made?
fizzd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »

Heh, what a coincidence, just decided to check the forums randomly today. Thanks for checking back nupanick!

Thank you everyone for your comments over the past year. Sorry I haven't replied to each one, I didn't really want to raise this from the grave myself, thought it'd be a bit egoistic of me. But I have read every one of your comments and really really appreciate them. Thanks!

Long story short, we're still churning out the hours for this game in between things. I had an internship over summer, my partner's been fairly busy too. I guess it takes a while when you're a two person team...

BUT.

New boss level!

New title screen!

We just submitted this game to the Student IGF 2014 competition yesterday, as a team from Cambridge Uni. Not particularly hoping to win or get nominated of course, since we seem to be the only team who isn't at some game design university doing it as part of their coursework! This has had to be a strictly off-hours thing for us (and it's particularly hard to find time here), so we're sort of disadvantaged in that sense.

Anyway, and I'm not sure it is a good idea to do this... but you guys haven't had news for so long and ah I'll go ahead:

You can play the IGF build here! It features a new boss level, some changes to streamline everything, and a snazzy title sequence. You might have to 'start afresh' from the menu, if you have an old save file, to get things to work though. That or just play through the second level again.

(The dilemma is, I want to hype the game, but at the same time the more I give here, the less incentive there is for people to buy it. But altruism always works out in the end right?)

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy!
fizzd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

Short weekend jam to make a little standalone level.

Rhythm Doctor: Kanye Edition!
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 04:51:54 AM »

This game is really nice! If the idea is expanded enough to accommodate a full game, I can see it doing really well on Steam.

Edit: It's actually on Steam now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:05:04 AM by Blaze06h » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »

Played Kanye Edition on Maxthon, and aside from some stuttering, it played fine. However, I think I've seen stuttering on other games / applications aside from the browser, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. Really fun! I'd only ask for larger "main" visuals like the Rhythm Heaven games, but I know that's really ambitious. Great work!

pglinker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »

- graphics
- music
- gameplay
  - the gameplay itself is fun
  - I like that it ramps up in difficult quickly (or is it just my weak rhythm skillz? haha)

Dislikes:
- can't think of anything, sorry

Nice work!
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »

This would be a great iOS game!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »

I found the second level to be way easier than the first. I also found that I was memorizing the beats to the melody rather than reacting to the beats as they came, as I would do in a Rhythm Heaven game.

I really liked the second level. I initially thought I was responsible for the other character, but then eventually realized that was untrue. The melody was really soothing and the beats were slow enough that I could count them even with rests.

The first level, by contrast, had a lot of really fast beats such that you just couldn't count in your head. Rhythm Heaven had a level like this where you launch rockets with fast timers, but they let you practice the fast beats in the tutorial so when the level starts you can react to them automatically because you know the cues. Maybe that's not what you're aiming for with this, though.

It's a good idea, though it didn't grab me like Rhythm Heaven did.
Wikzo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »

Just found this via IndieStatik IGF nomination (http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/23/eight-student-showcase-finalists-announced-for-the-2014-igf/). I love Rhythm Heaven, so I also love this game! I especially enjoyed the multiple tracks/rhythms (even though it was a little hard in the beginning).

This really needs to become an iOS game. That would be so awesome! Smiley

However, both games have one minor mistake: it takes too long to restart, since you have to watch all the "cutscene" stuff (like in your boss level). I would prefer to be able to jump straight to the level (or skip, like in tutorials).

I had a hard time beating the boss level, but then I closed my eyes and had no problem ... just like in Rhythm Heaven Tongue

Also, I think it lacks some audio cues with your timing is wrong.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:59:14 AM by Wikzo » Logged

Producer & Programmer at Tunnel Vision Games
fizzd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »

Updated the full build with experimental 2-player mode. Press CapsLock during the game to toggle. P2 uses the L key! Thank you so much for all the feedback so far.

This really needs to become an iOS game. That would be so awesome! Smiley

However, both games have one minor mistake: it takes too long to restart, since you have to watch all the "cutscene" stuff (like in your boss level). I would prefer to be able to jump straight to the level (or skip, like in tutorials).

On the first point: we have found a guy who's going to help us port the game to iOS! We'll be working on it this summer Smiley

On the second point: initally i was going to say the engine isn't robust enough to alter music as it's being played (it can only prepare songs ahead of time to put into the timeline, once it's put in there it can't skip around). However a good alternative is to ask when you begin the level whether you would like to skip all cutscenes in the level. I think that could work!

Feedback about two player mode would be nice, if anyone has a friend handy, particularly on the multirow stages like Tier 3 and the secret level. Enjoy!
cheekychico
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »

Hey, I really love this game!  I love this rhythm games in general but the music on this one is of such a high quality compared to the others I've played, it stands apart from them.  Keep up the good work!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm having trouble playing this game specifically on my desktop PC and I was looking for some help getting it to work!  It works perfectly on my laptop and on my girlfriend's laptop.

My desktop PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I've tried using both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.  I have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed and I've tried removing it and reinstalling it.  I've also tried both the Newgrounds and itch.io versions and have the same problem.

When I try to run the game on Firefox, during the tutorial, I get a message at the top of the screen saying "Patient approaching.. NaN %", and predictably, after the tutorial, it gives me a black screen with "Patience; approaching!"

On Google Chrome, when it loads and reaches the message "At the NHS waiting room..", it simply will not load any further.

Any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!  If I should be posting elsewhere, please let me know!

Many thanks for the fantastic game!
Chris
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »

I really like the boss in the IGF build - it was really amusing and interesting to see and hear how the song grew over time. Great work!

Gatlink
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 03:21:59 AM »

Hello, I'm not sure this will be seen, but the last build available online doesn't work after the tutorial. The samurai level doesn't start (the background, the samurai and the track are here, but the song doesn't start).

I played previous versions, it was really cool. Good work!
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »

I got to the first patient and the rhythm didn't start, even after pressing spacebar. I like the game, but I'm a little confused.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic