Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:17:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParanautical Activity - A Fast Paced Roguelike FPS - OUT NOW
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Paranautical Activity - A Fast Paced Roguelike FPS - OUT NOW  (Read 12162 times)
SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:32 AM »

Paranautical Activity is a fast paced voxel based roguelike FPS.

Latest gameplay video:

(Updated 4/03/2013)

| Buy Paranautical Activity | Greenlight |
| Website | Twitter | Subreddit |

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:59:30 AM by Spooder » Logged

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »

Looking sweet.  I like the little voxel spiders, they remind me of SG-1 replicators.  Will the walls be destructable?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »

Looking sweet.  I like the little voxel spiders, they remind me of SG-1 replicators.  Will the walls be destructable?

I've given a lot of thought to destructible walls, and I feel like they won't really make the game more fun, and will introduce a lot of potential problems. So for now at least, I'm not planning on destructible walls.

Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »

Looks interesting for a rougelike although I really hope the music in the trailer isn't the actual music that will be in the final product.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »

Looks interesting for a rougelike although I really hope the music in the trailer isn't the actual music that will be in the final product.

The music in both gameplay videos are just royalty free songs I found online, since we haven't started working on an original score yet.

Martyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »

It looks way too dark but promising Grin

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »

I added explosive barrels:

and enemies drop loot now!

I've also been working on adding more sound effects. I'm hoping to post a new video this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:39:35 PM by Spooder » Logged

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

We added a new enemy! He leaps towards you and explodes when you get too close.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

yay! roguelike fps! that is awesome, and am excited to see where it goes. Not totally into the art direction, although I think I might be reacting to the lighting or the voxels, or the combination of both. With the lighting I think it is because there isn't enough ambient lighting, it feels kinda like a disco or something.

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »

Interesting stuff. I, for one, quite like the art direction. THe enemy designs are pretty good, and the lighting looks really beautiful.

I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay, though - it seems like at present, there is little challenge other than being a really good shot. Not much strategy, or interesting terrain/ai to take advantage of. That judgement could quite obviously be premature, though.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »

Interesting stuff. I, for one, quite like the art direction. THe enemy designs are pretty good, and the lighting looks really beautiful.

I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay, though - it seems like at present, there is little challenge other than being a really good shot. Not much strategy, or interesting terrain/ai to take advantage of. That judgement could quite obviously be premature, though.

The game is inherently simple, all you do is shoot and dodge shots/run away from enemies. However, we're making that simple concept as deep and interesting as possible.

We're adding more enemy types every week or so, and they really help make the combat more interesting. When we added the guy that hops around and explodes, it dramatically changed the way I play. I had to not only circle strafe around shooting enemies, now I had to make sure I kept my distance from the hopper as well. I was actually considering starting health in half before we added that enemy, now I'm not so sure.

So, once we've got more enemy types, the game will be a bit more interesting.

Also, the rooms in the video are far from final. They're just test rooms. I'm more focused on implementing and balancing weapons, items, and enemies right now. I'm not dedicating much time to level design yet.

Cheers! Smiley

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »

The light looks a bit odd, but the gameplay seems polished, it's quake all over again =)

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:09 AM »

Is there any kind of strafejumping/bunnyhopping in the game? Or why are you jumping all the time?
SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »

Is there any kind of strafejumping/bunnyhopping in the game? Or why are you jumping all the time?

I'm not jumping *all* the time, what you might be noticing is the really over dramatic head bobbing. A few people have mentioned it, and I'm gonna tone it down a bit.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »

We’ve been working on adding some more weapon variety lately. We implemented a crossbow and a machine gun to that effect. The crossbow is a ton of fun to use. Very difficult to get good at it, yet insanely satisfying once you master it.

We also added a new enemy. It’s a giant moth. He flutters around, occasionally shooting homing shots. We call him Lecter.

Finally, we added item rooms. Item rooms contain special items that can make or break your run. Most items are stat upgrades that increase damage, movement speed, fire rate, ect. Some have more interesting effects like making your bombs stick to enemies.

secv
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »

Looks pretty cool, I haven't played an arcade shooter in a while so I'd like to give this one a go.
tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »

Since I'm working on a FPS roguelike of my own for quite some time, I will be watching this, so please post all good ideas you have so I could steal them, thank you.

But yeah, no, it's cool to see what you guys are going to make. And what design decisions will you take.

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »

Since I'm working on a FPS roguelike of my own for quite some time, I will be watching this, so please post all good ideas you have so I could steal them, thank you.

But yeah, no, it's cool to see what you guys are going to make. And what design decisions will you take.

Yeah, I saw your project as well. We've got pretty similar concepts, but our execution is really different.

I'd love to see a video of your game, couldn't find any though...it looks neat!

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 07:37:49 AM »

Yeah, I saw your project as well. We've got pretty similar concepts, but our execution is really different.

I'd love to see a video of your game, couldn't find any though...it looks neat!

Indeed execution is what matters, ideas alone worth next to nothing. I think there will be some similarities, naturally, but differences too, of course.

I'm planning to polish some visuals and release video in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, not to hijack tread anymore, wish you good luck and tenacity to finish and release this!

SpooderW
Level 0

Paranautical Activity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »

Indeed execution is what matters, ideas alone worth next to nothing. I think there will be some similarities, naturally, but differences too, of course.

I'm planning to polish some visuals and release video in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, not to hijack tread anymore, wish you good luck and tenacity to finish and release this!

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that gameplay vid!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic