Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:29:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestinga Fistful of Gun [3 player Co-op shooter - Freeware]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: a Fistful of Gun [3 player Co-op shooter - Freeware]  (Read 6039 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

Hey guys, I finished up a little side project, it is a western shooter called "a Fistful of Gun".

It is about as finished as I would like for a "first version", aside from bugs that popup and a few optimisations, though I do have on the cards to build some more features/locations/characters/etc into it if people enjoy it, so well, download it here :

Keen to hear any feedback - especially what you liked/didn't - what you would like to see in future builds also!  Enjoy. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:53:42 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »

Awesome! Having the sniper player as the mouse is very clever, love the concept

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:01:31 AM »

Thanks Jackson glad you liked it, anything you didn't like?  Here's my kind of hit list as it stands:

-Heavy Pistol Graphical UI glitch
-Make shotgun barrels fire independently
-Exploding bullets sometimes kill the player
-Fire obscures bullets sometimes.

I am seriously considering adding more characters at this point also, though that wouldn't be a minor change or anything.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

I have patched a few issues people where having with controllers, hopefully get some more feedback now?  Cheesy  Enjoy.

ladron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »

I love the look and feel of the game. Some initial impressions:

- Brutal difficulty. I'm fine with that, but maybe ease up at bit at first.

- Bizarre controls. This is both a good and bad thing. I was initially completely perplexed and frustrated when playing anything but the controller. Once I figured it out, the controls were fun, but I shouldn't have had to go through the frustration (many people will just quit).

- "Waggle" to select for the controller is more than just unintuitive. I got to the power-up screen multiple times and quit the game because I couldn't do anything. Just use the main button to select like the player expects.

Everything else about the game screams awesomeness. Just get rid of the barriers to a person figuring out how to play it.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »

I started the game and then, without doing anything, the game automatically started .. then I couldn't do anything.  Then I died, and it automatically continued.  I think it was using a phantom controller that wasn't plugged in and had it's buttons automatically pressed.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »

I started the game and then, without doing anything, the game automatically started .. then I couldn't do anything.  Then I died, and it automatically continued.  I think it was using a phantom controller that wasn't plugged in and had it's buttons automatically pressed.

Possible, my roommate has that same problem as his keyboard doubles as a joypad - since left right on the joypad is confirm for player 2 it auto starts him.  Either way it is fixed in the private version which should be up soon - downside is the public version will be unplayable for you for now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:07:11 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure I can still play it, I just have to be un-lazy and unplug my USB joystick adapter. D:
mrlasertron
Level 0

owlbear attack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »

holy cow farmergnome is a game making machine. this is fantastic looking and i'm really excited for UTO as well.

@mrlasertron<br>Game dev and designer at Slouch Couch Game Studios
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:54 AM »

Hey dude!

We played some of this at lunch it's rad!

Some observations.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if there is an elevation difference between you and the dude you are trying to shoot.

maybe it was intended but it seems kinda weird that you have to fire off both barrels of the shotgun before you reload it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

Hmmm good call about the shotgun double barrel Eric, lots of people have brought that one up so I did a fix for the latest build, there shouldn't be any problems with elevation since the play-field is 2d , unless it is some sort of visual illusion from the ground?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »

using a logitech ps2 style controller I can't shoot and the controls feel like ass with the keyboard. and with a gamepad plugged in it wouldn't let me choose any other control options, so I had to close the game and get up and unplug my controller.

nice graphics and sound though. won't comment on the gameplay as I feel I was unable to play it properly (with gamepad).
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »

using a logitech ps2 style controller I can't shoot and the controls feel like ass with the keyboard. and with a gamepad plugged in it wouldn't let me choose any other control options, so I had to close the game and get up and unplug my controller.

nice graphics and sound though. won't comment on the gameplay as I feel I was unable to play it properly (with gamepad).

Yea I haven't had much luck getting the analogs on the knockoff brands working, mostly because I don't have any to test with, I am asking around now since I have added a few new characters/control schemes into the mix, hopefully I can get my hands on some different controllers so I can debug different controllers.

Edit:  Fistful of Gun will be on Steam  Grin  The improved version anyway, just got all the final Steam back end stuff setup before.  Awesome week.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:48:09 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »

Haven't had time to play it yet, but the graphics are absolutely stunning. Inspiring stuff

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »

there shouldn't be any problems with elevation since the play-field is 2d , unless it is some sort of visual illusion from the ground?

Probably some sort of visual illusion, the dude was on a boardwalk, I guess i figured it was flat and tried to shoot him the bullets hit the side of the boardwalk.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »

there shouldn't be any problems with elevation since the play-field is 2d , unless it is some sort of visual illusion from the ground?

Probably some sort of visual illusion, the dude was on a boardwalk, I guess i figured it was flat and tried to shoot him the bullets hit the side of the boardwalk.

I have flattened them out in the latest build, killed a bit of a drop shadow, hopefully that helps Smiley

kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »

Well I played it with my lil bros last night and it was a real crowd pleaser Smiley

On a more serious note, Abel didn't seem to get along with my PS2 controller (I have one of those PSx to USB adapters). I could move him with the left stick but the "flick" shooting (which sounds greata, btw) wasn't detected. I checked that the right stick was sending proper input via the Control Panel and everything was kosher, so it's definitely the game.

Any way, you're an inspiration to us all. Keep it up  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »

The steam version should have that fixed, but I would love to be 100 percent, shoot me an email if you can at [email protected] and I will hook you up with the steam build to try and sort out your ps2 controller problems  Grin

Edit:  Here is a wallpaper btw Smiley

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:46:26 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

The steam version should have that fixed
Any chance that the non-Steam version will be getting these fixes? Not that I have anything against Steam. Just would like to retain the option to have it not-on-Steam.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »

The steam version should have that fixed
Any chance that the non-Steam version will be getting these fixes? Not that I have anything against Steam. Just would like to retain the option to have it not-on-Steam.

When I say steam version, I mean the "upgraded" version, It will be available as a download also, but it doesn't hold much resemblance to the one available in this thread though - more of everything, including bug fixes really.  9 player at once on 1 comp, 11 total characters rather than 3, all with different control methods, story mode, versus mode, a little tutorial section and a much needed control setup screen to name a few things.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic