Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:47:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogspoe's One Game A Month [2/12]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: poe's One Game A Month [2/12]  (Read 5952 times)
poe
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »

Miners will solely go after your treasure chests and return the loot to the surface. They only appear if other heroes never see the chest though.
poe
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »

Which do I make for next month?

2D pixel spaceship builder game. Craft a ship and see how far you can get. Kerbal Space Program clone? Would have to have decent physics and a variety of parts. Highscores for ascending higher.

FLAWS:
Not much to do other than making a ship.

PROS:
I need to get better at physicsy things

2D multiplayer farming sim, build a farm and defend it with towers / your farmer from invading enemies. Mix between harvest moon and dungeon defenders basically.

FLAWS:
Not much incentive
Scope too big, will probably remove all combat related stuff and just end up with multiplayer harvest moon (even less incentive)

PROS:
Multiplayer adds to longevity
It's easy to expand on a sandbox game

2D RPG that takes place in a diner, focus on character development and interaction, all characters are incapable of leaving the diner. When they exit the front door they exit the bathroom etc, etc, etc. Investigate the diner and find a way to escape.

FLAWS:
Can only be played once
It might get to artsy or too puzzley

PROS:
I would love to improve my story writing and puzzle making skills
I really like surreal stuff

I'll probably make all of these games at some point, but I'm pretty indifferent about which one I make next. So any votes or thoughts would be great Smiley
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »

I like the last idea the most, although the 2nd one is cool too.  There are enough space games IMO, so it'd be nice to see some more original ideas.

Worthless_Bums
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »

Gotta go with spaceship builder  Grin

Currently working on Steam Marines 2, a squad-based steampunk roguelike: A Steam Marines-like!
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »

The second Smiley

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »

SURREAL AND ARTSY? LAST OPTION!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »

Last idea all the way. You could even make it choose from a random set of scenarios. For example, in one you're stuck in the bathroom initially, and the exit has to do with investigating and interacting with the bartender. Another has you out in the main dining room, but with nobody else around, so you must find where everyone else is, etc. It could be expanded upon that way. Or, you could just leave it alone and build a single cool story.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »

Last one.
Should be an occult basement full of eldritch lore and daemons.

Ant
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »

last one intrigues me greatly Hand Thumbs Up Right

you can do it poe i belief in you
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »

Yes! Build the 3rd and save the 2nd idea for later. You could even break the 2nd up into 2 months. 1 month - farming game. 2nd month - tower defence. 3rd month - combine the two re-using code.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:21 AM »

Neat thread.

poe
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »

Oh wow this is a lot more feedback than I expected, thanks for all the posts everyone!

Last idea all the way. You could even make it choose from a random set of scenarios. For example, in one you're stuck in the bathroom initially, and the exit has to do with investigating and interacting with the bartender. Another has you out in the main dining room, but with nobody else around, so you must find where everyone else is, etc. It could be expanded upon that way. Or, you could just leave it alone and build a single cool story.

Yeah definitely, maybe have each character in the diner be playable. I was thinking it could track what you do as each person and then when you move to the next that person would play back like a movie.

last one intrigues me greatly Hand Thumbs Up Right

you can do it poe i belief in you

ily

Yes! Build the 3rd and save the 2nd idea for later. You could even break the 2nd up into 2 months. 1 month - farming game. 2nd month - tower defence. 3rd month - combine the two re-using code.

That's a very good point, breaking it into different months would lighten the load a lot.

Neat thread.

thx
poe
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »

Alright seems like I'll be making the diner game then!

The plan:

0- Design
1- Basic prototype
2- Get art
3- Content
4- Get music
5- Release!

I updated the main post to be more of a directory, and I released my February 1GAM: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29534.msg857497#msg857497
poe
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

Haven't really worked on the diner game besides making the map and having it load into the game.

I have however, worked on this neat little autopatcher!

I'm probably going to open source it so that people can use it for their games since it's pretty simple. Not sure if it will work perfectly when I port it to linux/mac with mono but we'll see!

What you're looking at: The games list on the left isn't loaded from the web yet but it will be soon. The gray bar is the title of the current game and the button on it on the right that says Play will say Install if you don't have the latest version of the game and you have autoupdating on. The News/Highscores thing is the tabs that it loads from the internet, so they can be different for every game. The text below that is the tab you're currently viewing(news in this case).

Account allows you to enter your account info from my site so that you don't have to manually enter it in every game of mine that you play (which is only used if the game has online features like highscores or coop).

Settings allows you to disable or enable various things obviously.

Forums directly links you to my website.

Any feedback on this is very much appreciated! I want to get this right so that the updater doesn't have to ever be updated.

Here's what the diner looks like (obviously placeholder art, since I'm no artist)

poe
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »

Nothing in these images is going to be in the game(besides the programming stuff obviously)

Collisions are working and stuff. Also added the notepad which is a mouse controlled menu that sorts the evidence you've found. I think this game might end up a bit like Pheonix Wright and you'll run around finding evidence and putting it together to piece together why this is happening.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

This will be very interesting if you manage to pull it off in such a small area. Hand Thumbs Up Left

poe
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »

Yeah I'm worried about the size but if I make it any bigger I feel like it might not seem like a diner anymore.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »

I think you could stand to add another row of booths (perhaps another column as well, extending it to the right), but it already looks like a diner. I think I would, like Mono, be surprised if you pulled it off in such a small area because you can't hide anything - basically the whole play-field is visible all of the time.

It's shaping up quite well, nonetheless!

poe
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »

I think I'll do that but I already changed the camera so it's zoomed in. The more space will definitely help as well. I'll possibly make it so that you can't see into other rooms as well.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:15 PM »

Yeah I'm worried about the size but if I make it any bigger I feel like it might not seem like a diner anymore.

You described it as being a supernatural story, maybe later on in the story the character can be teleported to other areas. That will literary give you more room to operate within.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic