Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:02:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioYM2612 VST - Make Genesis/Mega Drive Tunes!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: YM2612 VST - Make Genesis/Mega Drive Tunes!  (Read 14929 times)
superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »

GENNY is almost complete! I'm just working out some final stuff

The details:
-32 and 64 bit VST
-Will work on Mac
-Supports 16 midi channels controlling a YM2612 and an SN76489
-Imports TFI, TYI, VGI, and reads instruments from VGM/VGZ files
-Will also export VGI instruments
-Supports DAC sample playback

-Supports audio logging in VGM format
This is actually implemented now, I just need to clean it up and optimize a bit. Example:
Original song mixed with 10 instances of YM2612 VST:
https://soundcloud.com/superjoebob/hard-corps
Song partially ported and dumped using GENNY:
http://www.wonthelp.info/hardCorps.vgz

-Already has FL Studio native plugin support, allowing piano roll note bending and volume automation

I also wrote an envelope generator for the SN76489 support, here's a sample of what it sounds like: http://www.wonthelp.info/gennytest.mp3
and a sample of (early) SN76489 VGM dumping http://www.wonthelp.info/tester2.vgm
See above for a better example of what VGM dumping can do.

If you wanna test the beta, send me a message and tell me if you want the VST or the FL version!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:44:45 PM by superjoebob » Logged
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:35 AM »

The GUI looks beautiful. I'm going to try it later this evening.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »

Hello,

I was pleased to hear some Toejam & Earl music when I started the video. Smiley

Any plans for a Mac AU version?

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »

Looks good, but I dont see if it is Windows or Mac or both?
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »

This is awesome! I've always used Shiru's VGM Music Maker tracker when I wanted authentic Mega Drive sounds - but it's really nice to have this as VST.

Is there any chance of a 2x option for the interface, though? It's a bit small on my 1920x1200 display.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »

I had some major fun with this over the last days! It's really versatile, especially regarding drumsounds. I have not yet seen a retro chiptune plug-in capable of creating such heavy basses.
I didn't face many technical issues. However, one time, the sound got corrupted on one track after saving. The faders were displaying wrong information and I had to reload the plug-in in order to make it work again. Sadly, I can't deliver more precise information on this. I couldn't figure out what exactly went wrong - just that the played sound was completely different from my settings. Also, I'm not aware if this is a typical characteristic of the YM2612, but the pitch function is out of tune.
A 2x option for the interface would be nice indeed. It's pretty hard to read on a high resolution.
However ultimately, this might become a really useful addition to my collection of chiptune vstis.
GavinHarrisonSounds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:46:44 AM »

Wow, any plans to make an AU Mac version?

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:38 AM »

I played around with this for a while, it's legit. I have a feeling it's going to see a lot of use in my hands. FM synthesis is such an underappreciated technology.
superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm not currently planning to make a Mac AU version, if I'm not mistaken the VST should work through a VST host on Mac already, though I've yet to have someone confirm that it works.

I agree that the interface is a bit small, I considered doubling the res but the way my interface code is written right now it would be a huge pain. I'd still like to do it in the future it's just gonna take a while.

@lauchsuppe The instrument corruption problem is a big one that I'd like to correct, it seems every time I update the VST all the instruments fall apart and that should NOT be happening. Not sure what you mean about the pitch function being out of tune, are you saying once you bend it you can't find any pitch that lines up with a note? Or that it's overall too granular?

@subliminal Couldn't agree more, I don't think I like the sound of any other synthesis more than I like the sound of FM. It just creates instrument sounds that feel so much more real when you play them.

It's probably gonna be a little while before I update the VST, unfortunately the code base I've created for it makes me gag and I've had a biiit too much C++ programming over the last few months to care to bother with it in my hobby time. Like all things though I'll get a second wind randomly and go at it full force, hopefully that's sooner than later!
keoni29
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »

Nice! Using it right now for a track. My yamaha FM synth does not have enough parameters to get these great sounds. I'll let you know when it's done Beer!
mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »

I can't wait to give this a try.  I have never tried my hand at chiptune before, and this plugin really makes me want to!

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

It's excellent! I have two complaints:

1. I can't figure out how to get multiple instruments on one channel Sad
2. Slide information doesn't work (glissando)

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:37:49 PM »

This is the sexiest thing since Megan Fox.

Btw can you release for mobile?

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
superjoebob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

Big update on the progress of the next version, see the first post for details! No new downloads yet, but they're definitely coming.

@keoni29 if you're still making/made that song I'd love to hear it!
@BleakProspects multiple instruments on one channel isn't a thing right now unfortunately Sad . I'm working on adding that new functionality in my re-write though! Glissando will also be properly supported.

@Galaxy thanks! Definitely not planning on a mobile version though, sorry!
GavinHarrisonSounds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:22 AM »

Can't wait for this!!!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic