Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:41:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge: The Album 2012
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge: The Album 2012  (Read 15530 times)
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »

Hullo there,

This is a thread about what makes Indie Game Development great: Community-Created Content.

Here's the gist of it:
Pgil started a series of Musical Challenges revolving around various themes, inviting game composers of all ranks to a jolly joust of musical skills. It turned out to be a great idea spawning a lot of awesome tracks.
Mono had the idea of compiling all the winning entries plus a few bonus tracks to an album, I added it would be cool to release it on Bandcamp with all revenues going to a charity organization of our choosing.

TL/DR;
 Hand Metal Left Waaagh! Hand Metal Right Music. We release it together. Ninja People listen to it. Hand Money Left Money goes to Charity. Toast Right

That said, I need your help with this! Beg

• If a mod could pin this thread, I'd appreciate it! Thanks, C.A. Sinclair!
  • If there are artists willing to do an album cover, go for it!
  • If you'd like to suggest bonus tracks, please do!
  • If you know a particularly awesome charity organization, write it here so we can discuss.
  • If you notice any typos, please correct me.
  • Most importantly, spread the word!

But let's take this step by step.

Step 1: Gathering all Winning Tracks
DONE

Step 2: Voting for the Bonus Tracks
Please head over here for a highly relevant poll.

Let's do this then. Many thanks, I look forward to the album!

Cheers,
Moritz
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:30:09 PM by MoritzPGKatz » Logged

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »

I love you man.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »

Great! These are the bonus tracks I would like for to be on this:

Calum Bowen & Sam English - Half-Minute Melee (Long Version)

Moritz - Way Down in Coral Cove

Calum Bowen - Piece by Piece

Bert Like Sounds - Goemon's Theme

Btw, I have all the mp3's except for gryphonsnyder's winning entry but I guess you want to go the proper route getting your hands on them.

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »

This is going to sound weird regarding my last post, but since Moritz already got 2 tracks on the album, how about including Peregrinus – In Depth instead of Way Down in Coral Cove? Both of them are absolutely amazing tracks, but this way we could introduce an additional talented composer. Goemon's theme is a must though. Tongue

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

I love you man.
Gentleman

Noted! I already have two tracks in there though, I'd rather feature more people. Smiley

Btw, I have all the mp3's except for gryphonsnyder's winning entry but I guess you want to go the proper route getting your hands on them.
That's cool, but I'd love to get uncompressed files if at all possible, plus we need everyone's consent on this!

EDIT:
This is going to sound weird regarding my last post, but since Moritz already got 2 tracks on the album, how about including Peregrinus – In Depth instead of Way Down in Coral Cove? Both of them are absolutely amazing tracks, but this way we could introduce an additional talented composer. Goemon's theme is a must though. Tongue
Great! Let's gather ideas for bonus tracks and vote with a poll later on.

Cheers,
Moritz

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »

TL/DR;
 Hand Metal Left Waaagh! Hand Metal Right Music. We release it together. Ninja People listen to it. Hand Money Left Money goes to Charity. Toast Right

On a sidenote, this was pretty epic. Especially the ninja.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »

That's cool, but I'd love to get uncompressed files if at all possible, plus we need everyone's consent on this!

Well, getting hold of all these people might not be that easy and will probably take quite some time. I agree though!

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »

I'll write to the winners of the 5-10 challenges tomorrow, see if I can get their works posted. If I manage to have some more time on my hands, I'll try to contact more of the contestants. Will keep you guys posted.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »

I'll write to the winners of the 5-10 challenges tomorrow, see if I can get their works posted. If I manage to have some more time on my hands, I'll try to contact more of the contestants. Will keep you guys posted.
Awesome, that would save me a lot of time. Please direct them to my mail address: info(at)moritzpgkatz(dot)de

I'll update the list above as we go.

Thanks,
Moritz

medieval
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »

It sounds cool to me, damn shame that my track is only 30 seconds though.. :p

JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

This is a fantastic idea!
@Moritz- I will send you the .wav file for my track.

I think there are some pretty cool charities that help provide musical instruments to kids. I will have a look and see what I can find out about them.

Ashkin
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »

I want this to happen. I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »

stickied at moritz's request. best of luck getting this out there!  Hand Metal Left
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »

Great idea, indeed! Smiley

I'll send a link to my piece tomorrow if it isn't still on my Soundcloud catalog somewhere.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »

Awesome news! Smiley

Sent you my files Moritz.

Do you reckon we could get this on some gaming blogs to spread the word a bit? If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:13:11 PM »

Hey guys! I really like what you're doing here and I look forward for the whole album to be complete.

MoritzPGKatz, thanks so much for taking this on and I've sent you a PM with a file of my music!

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »

Wow, this is really awesome that you guys want to make something like this.
This need a lot of visibility, we could strive for a huge donation :D

Thanks man, that's very nice of you.  Shrug I'm a bit speechless to be honest.
(I think Mortiz totally deserve those 2 spaces though)

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »

I like this idea quite a bit!  I'll be sure to send you a higher quality version of my song tomorrow.  I want to ask what you guys think about the possibility of each artist having the option to make changes to their submissions as they see fit?  Such as possibly remixing the song, or lengthening it in cases where they are very short.  This would, of course, be completely optional.. I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the possibility.

Also, I did pick 2 runners up in the challenge that I ran.. and I feel they should be included in this compilation as well.  Perhaps everyone who has run a challenge could have the option to include other favorites in this compilation as well (assuming the artists are also ok with it). 

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 03:53:05 AM »

Wow, this is really awesome that you guys want to make something like this.
This need a lot of visibility, we could strive for a huge donation :D

Thanks man, that's very nice of you.  Shrug I'm a bit speechless to be honest.
(I think Mortiz totally deserve those 2 spaces though)

He already has two, I'm talking about a third track from him which would be somewhat of an overkill. Smiley

Guys, I really would love to feature In Depth from Peregrinus as a bonus track, but I need some feedback from you.
https://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau/in-depth
What do you think, can we make it happen?

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:06 AM »

I like this idea quite a bit!  I'll be sure to send you a higher quality version of my song tomorrow.  I want to ask what you guys think about the possibility of each artist having the option to make changes to their submissions as they see fit?  Such as possibly remixing the song, or lengthening it in cases where they are very short.  This would, of course, be completely optional.. I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the possibility.

Sure, I don't have a problem with this at all. Following the Challenge's tradition, let's set a deadline.

All tracks must be turned in by January 15th.
After that, we'll vote for bonus tracks.

Do you reckon we could get this on some gaming blogs to spread the word a bit? If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
Let's wait until we have at least half of the tracks together... no need to rush things. Smiley
When we do, you're all invited to go nuts with the marketing.

Also, yeah, two of my tracks are enough and on top of that I'd actually run into some licensing problems when releasing "...Coral Cove" in this since the track is already licensed to another project. So let's feature some more of you guys. Smiley

Cheers,
Moritz
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:30:51 AM by MoritzPGKatz » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic