Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:28:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDreams Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Dreams Thread  (Read 5006 times)
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »

So lately I have been thinking that it would be cool if there was a thread for people to share their dreams, whether they be lucid dreams, non-lucid or even astral projection experiences (controversial topic I guess; but hey, its the Internet) And also when you can put those dreams into art, music or games they can turn out pretty freakin' cool sometimes (eg. Amon26's Au Sable was based off a series of nightmares) Our dreams are usually completely original concepts derived from our minds without influences from other liner story lines we take in by books, movies, games etc. which can translate into a game setting pretty well.

Thought it may be interesting to discuss with all o' you's  Corny Laugh

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »

I had a dream that my ex-girlfriend started smoking cigarettes. Which is weird because that is the last thing she would ever do.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »

something I thought was always interesting was when I shaved my head in waking life, and when I saw a reflection of myself in my dreams it's as if I didn't cut my hair at all and I always always remark how fast my hair grew.

similar thing happened when I traveled abroad for the first time, I kept having panicked dreams where instead of waking up in the country I was in, I was having dreams in the states while recognizing I was just abroad the day before.  that I somehow was stupid enough to buy a ticket home and I spend the whole dream panicking about raising money and flying back.  This went on for two weeks.

another similar experience when I went away and left my dog behind, I'd dream of him for a week or two, that he came all this way on his own to find me.

then when I started smoking pot my dreams were much more vivid and strange for a while.  now I don't remember really recall them.

I talk in my sleep, they say that what you say in your sleep doesn't have anything to do with what you are actually dreaming, but it's not true.  I usually end up waking myself up screaming bloody murder.  Like at the airport this new years, I didn't get enough sleep, and was sleeping underneath the departures terminal, I was having a dream about my brother when he was living with us as his schizophrenia was developing and shouting at him 'Shut up! You're such a fucking asshole' I woke up mid sentence facing a woman across the row of benches who crawled into her skin.

yep dreams.
feminazi
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »

i had a dream
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:47 AM »

all my teeth fall out all the time
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:57:30 AM »

It can't be just me who thinks hearing someone recollect and talk about the dream they had tonight is the most boring thing imaginable. It's like listening to a child making up a story on the spot minus all the cute.

John, that means you're afraid of being castrated. Classic dream interpretation so much fun!

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »

ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
impulse9
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »

It can't be just me who thinks hearing someone recollect and talk about the dream they had tonight is the most boring thing imaginable. It's like listening to a child making up a story on the spot minus all the cute.

Interesting. I quite enjoy hearing those. Dreams can tell you a lot about the person's psyche. Just gotta know how to listen.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »

I know how to listen alright, and it won't tell you much of anything more than what you read into it based on previous knowledge about the person. Likely the only one informed enough to know what a dream "means" is the dreamer.

Two nights in a row this week I dreamt about being in water for a long time. What does this tell you?
I was dehydrated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:51:00 AM by Schoq » Logged

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »

Depends on their storytelling abilities and how concise they manage to be. I think the problem is that people are excited about their latest dream but can't properly communicate what made it so great.

My last dream was pretty standard-issue as far as my dreams go, adventuring/travelling is a common theme. I was wandering through a city selling something, and had other door-to-door marketers join and leave me occasionally. I was heading towards some address that I knew to have people interested in my product, but after a while, I suddenly realized I was in the wrong city and didn't have the energy to carry on. So I figured the most logical choice was to teleport into some game show.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

Depends on their storytelling abilities and how concise they manage to be. I think the problem is that people are excited about their latest dream but can't properly communicate what made it so great.
The thing is that it wasn't and won't be great outside their head and way too few seem to realize that.
People with actual storytelling ability just end up making things up to fill the gaps anyway, so what's the point

But whatevs, I guess I should just stay out of the thread :P

impulse9
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

Two nights in a row this week I dreamt about being in water for a long time. What does this tell you?

I have no idea, mostly because I don't know you personally. But if you said instead that you were having nightmares for a week then I could probably ballpark your psychological state of being. There is information in everything, you just need some associations to work with.
medieval
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »

There's one dream where I'm at some party in an abandoned building. The dream takes a jump to where I wake up in the same building, hooked up to some IV thing, the needle in my forearm. Shit hurts like a motherfucker so I take the needle out, but then it hurts even more. I figure the IV was keeping me alive, so I put it back in, but the pain only grows.

I wake up. Fall back asleep.

I'm at a very shady service desk, and there's an Asian woman next to me. The man behind the desk holds up an ID card or something with the woman's face on the photo, but what in the fuck it's got all kinds of weird mutations on it. I look back at the woman, she looks normal but just as concerned as I am. The man behind the counter goes "this is the photo I got from you" -- again, the woman's face with the mutations, only printed larger. Once again I turn to face her. wrong fucking move
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »

recently i've been having nightmares where i'm still in school.

one time i had a weird dream where i was working on a film where we had to film lightning destroying a mountain, but we weren't using special effects. we were standing on a mountain filming a mountain next to it getting struck and crumbling.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Was sleepwalking the other night. Don't remember the dream. Woke up standing in the middle of the room with the lights on, holding my alarm clock in both hands.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »

Some interesting stuff here. I can see how some would find it completely dull, but I think it gives a fascinating insight into the inner workings of people's brains. It's not the same thing as a child making up a story on the spot; our subconscious minds will sometimes do things that our conscious minds never would have thought of.

Haven't had a lot of memorable ones myself lately, but there's one recurring dream I seem to keep having. I grew up in a farm house out in the middle of nowhere. It was a really charming little place, very isolated and tranquil, and I was quite attached to it. A lot of my dreams used to take place in that house, but after having moved out (my family was just renting it), I started having a dream where I'd come back to it as an adult, and the wilderness/pasture that was all around the house had been developed into a bustling suburb. I've had that dream at least a dozen times, and I'm not sure what's going on in my head to trigger it.

More relevant to tigsource, I recently dreamed that I'd gone to GDC and found a bunch of people I knew there, but everyone seemed to hate me and was being a total dick. (My GDC experiences have never been like this, everyone's super nice in reality!)

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »

Oh, I have a book on dream interpretation! Everyone post their dreams here and I'll interpret random ones when I have time Tongue

My wife actually had this dream where she was sitting near a sea, and the water started rising. It was warm, pleasant water and started rising quickly. She went inside a building, and the water started filling up the area she was sitting in earlier, but she escaped it because she was inside the building.

Apparently, water is supposed to mean wealth (if it's nice, non-damaging water). So, I interpreted it as some sudden wealth coming to her, which she would escape from.

That very weekend, she had to go to work (her job is in a shopping mall). There was a lucky draw for an expensive gold necklace, and while they called her name, she didn't notice because she was in the office Tongue
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 10:51:42 PM »

I had a dream where I was trying to track someone down for some wrong they had committed against me. It's vague and I'm not sure what that was. I also know I wasn't myself. I ended up capturing him, tying him up, and hoisting a car engine above him. He convinced me that he wasn't the right guy. I realized he was telling the truth but I dropped the engine on him anyway. It cut him in half. Was surreal and gory.

Lately I've had a lot of dreams like that. Horrible crimes and dreams where I'm being hunted by police, and I'm usually not myself, although sometimes I am. It's been awful.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »

I had a dream where I was trying to track someone down for some wrong they had committed against me. It's vague and I'm not sure what that was. I also know I wasn't myself. I ended up capturing him, tying him up, and hoisting a car engine above him. He convinced me that he wasn't the right guy. I realized he was telling the truth but I dropped the engine on him anyway. It cut him in half. Was surreal and gory.

Lately I've had a lot of dreams like that. Horrible crimes and dreams where I'm being hunted by police, and I'm usually not myself, although sometimes I am. It's been awful.
...hotline miami?
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »

Okay, so I had a dream about two nights ago and it was very strange for me, and I though would be worth sharing. First off, I have been influenced by my parents church for a large majority of my life (whether I accept all of it I don't know), and this dream is mainly derived from biblical and spiritual ties with strange, twisted views on things. Also I can't remember if I was actually lucid in this dream or not, just guessing I think it was a level 0 lucid dream where I was thinking of partial lucidity though the dream but I don't think I was actually completely lucid, but strangely I was conscious to some extent because I remember some of the details vividly, therefore I think I briefly slipped in and out of brief lucidity. Also I was able to recall my dream in quite detail because my practises of keeping a dream-journal has allowed me to record them right when I leave the dream and return to waking life; the feeling of consciousness led me to remember it in more detail than normal as well.

At first I remember being in my house, as normal; but it all seemed darker and drabber than normal. I carried about my normal morning routine - not really aware that anything is out of the ordinary at the moment or that I was dreaming. First thing I remember hearing were sirens that were going back and forth every 5-10 minutes on the main road a few blocks away from my house, I thought it must have been a large car crash or something. Later when I left my house is when I started noticing strange things. When I started driving past my normal places I started noticing things out of place, such as people bending over little fires scattered across peoples front lawns, and the houses looked shabbier and run down as if everything was hit with poverty and despair. So naturally being kind of a lucid dreamer myself I noticed something was wrong, and I wondered what had happened overnight but it wasn't enough to push me to preform a reality check, just enough to question it. As I drove further I noticed where the churches I normally drive by were now replaced with some different sort of building with weird architecture and all looked very Gothic. What I noticed mainly about the churches were where the crosses normally stood on the steeples, two snakes coiling around a dead and mangled tree stood in place of it. But shit got serious after a little while. As I kept driving I started to notice doomsayers on the street corners holding signs saying that that world was ending because something was returning in what they called the reaping. As I continued though this world the sky started to grow continually darker and darker, the sky started to be overcast and the clouds tuned dark grey, I dismissed it as just a large thunderstorm and eventually got to where I was going (I don't know where I was going, I think I must have been driving to university or something). The sky really started to screw up now and I got out of my car to look at it. At this time I was in some sort of city plaza, and all of the other people previously bustling around had stopped to look at the sky. Then from behind the clouds a dark, bloody red light came down in rays though the clouds. Some people started to scream and I remember panicking a bit and running to a nearby building. A couple of people followed me to the building and we shut the door behind us. Me and the other people exchanged names (at this part I remember being quite conscious of my surrounding, but not aware that I was dreaming) and we all talked about the strange skies. Some people were saying that the reaping was happening and I inquired further not knowing what they were talking about. One of the people happened to be religious and pulled out a black tome (kind of like the bible) she told me about a deity that thousands of years ago had come to earth in the form of a woman and lived among the humans to spread the words of the "black". The woman/deity named Ardat-Lilith (cant remember if this was the same name that was in my dream, but I think it was close to it) wandered the earth and spread this word to the nations, after years of teaching the "black" she was eventually crucified by religious leaders and hung her upside-down on cedar tree and left to die after 6 days and disappeared on the 6th day. On her dying breath she left the world with the words that she would return one day to reap the souls of her followers to live with her for eternity. As the person wielding the bible-like tome I now knew as the black stood back I remember the whole ground shook below our feet, somebody screamed to go to the basement of the building and most of the people did so. Strangely after this point I couldn't recall much and I think I returned to a normal dream rather than a semi-lucid state. But I do remember holing up in the basement for quite a while while occasionally the earthquakes would shake quite violently. But all the while this person that was religious told me all about the religion, and what was really screwed up was it was basically the exact opposite to all of Christianity in terms of morality, such as all the ten commandments were inverted to be "Hate your neighbor such as you hate yourself" and "To kill is to pleasure the black". But eventually when we decided to leave the basement in search of food or other shelter we came topside to see everything crumbled and destroyed from the constant earthquakes (or if something else was causing the destruction, we couldn't tell) the first things I noticed was the world seemed empty and devoid of everything, and a strange red glow came down in rays at some points where it could penetrate the dark clouds. The rest from that point on I cant remember vividly at all, other than I remember seeing the "Reaper" fly though the clouds in the form of a woman with blood red hair. But other than that I cant remember.

So all in all it was a pretty cool, but disturbing dream. And a unique inversion of spirituality. And I also remember that because of that inversion of spirituality in the world more crime had come about from the religions, and also it was a crime in this world to preform good, only evil was looked upon approvingly. But for my types of dreams this was pretty different, especially since it was religiously based. And usually my dreams aren't so organised, whereas this was quite realistic in some was with no really weird things that happened though the course of it.

Anyway, total mind fark  Corny Laugh

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic