Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:12:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Xoda Rap
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Xoda Rap  (Read 103846 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:45:38 AM »

Stats

Xoda's attacks are quick and powerful. She is fairly fast, though a little fragile. She can wall jump.

Sprites

Portrait - plasticware, Inane, godsavant
Idle - godsavant, Xion, Rostiger, DJ, plasticware
Walking- Rostiger, ink.inc
Jumping-
Hurt - MarshmallowOnTop, Rostiger
Throwing - MarshmallowOnTop
Wall Grabbing - ink.inc
Punching - MarshmallowOnTop
Sliding Kick -plasticware, MarshmallowOnTop
Spinning Kick-
Big Punch-
Downward Punch-
Firing Energy Blast- ink.inc
Energy Blast-
Flight- Plasticware Nightmare, godsavant
Grabbing-
Summoning Shield-
Shield Effect - ink.inc

Moveset
A- Rapid Punches- A few weak punches followed by a strong finishing punch. Quick and powerful, but with very short range.

>A- Sliding Kick- Xoda slides straight forwards, kicking anything in the way.

^A- Spinning Kick- Xoda spins rapidly, rising slowly and damaging all nearby enemies.

vA- Heavy Punch- Xoda winds up to deliver a heavy blow. If used in the air, she punches downwards.

S- Energy Blast- Hold S to charge up the attack, and release to fire a projectile. Unless it's been charged, it should be very weak, and you can't hold the charge.

>S- Throw- Xoda throws an enemy, dealing no damage but causing lots of knockback. If Xoda throws one enemy into another, the second enemy takes damage.

^S- Fly- Xoda flies straight towards the nearest enemy.

vS- Shield- Xoda creates a safe zone around herself. The shield blocks projectiles (including her own). She can only have one shield at a time. While summoning the shield, Xoda is temporarily invulnerable.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:09:20 PM by Soulliard » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:49:23 AM »

Xoda is rather wonderful, and almost built for a game such as this. I'd either like to see her worked on next or Lyle. I think Lyle would be a fascinating character to play as, if made well. Though, perhaps on that virtue alone we should all wait to see what works.

Plus, with Xoda, we can get in-house contributions from the creator. Ey Konjak? Ey? EY.
medieval
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »

Yeah, Xoda would be good, and rather easy to make up a movelist too.

Otherwise Gish.
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:37 AM »

I'd like to see how Lyle turns out, but Xoda is fine too.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:16:58 AM »

I was actually planning on making a thread for Xoda in the next few days. I've already begun thinking about her move list, in fact. I envision her as a fast and strong brawler, limited mostly by a lack of reach. Here's what I've got so far:

A- Rapid Punches- A few weak punches followed by a strong finishing punch. Quick and powerful, but with very short range.

>A- Sliding Kick- Xoda slides straight forwards, kicking anything in the way.

^A- Spinning Kick- Xoda spins rapidly, rising slowly and damaging all nearby enemies.

vA- Huh? - Possibly some sort of kick aimed downwards?

S- Energy Blast- Hold S to charge up the attack, and release to fire a projectile. Unless it's been charged, it should be very weak (and unlike Quote's spur, you can't hold the charge).

>S- Throw- Xoda throws an enemy, dealing no damage but causing lots of knockback. If Xoda throws one enemy into another, the second enemy takes damage.

^S- Fly- Xoda flies straight towards the nearest enemy.

vS- Shield- Xoda creates a safe zone around herself. The shield blocks all projectiles (including her own). She can only have one shield at a time.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:40 AM »

I always envisioned Xoda as a character with long combos always "glued" to the enemy, trying not to let go
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:05 AM »

I heartily endorse this discussion.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:04:16 AM »

That moveset looks pretty good to me. I like the idea of her moves having some heavy knockback, but she can still turn them into combos by using Fly. With the shield, I assume it will stay in the same place like in the original? That would create some interesting possibilities indeed.

Throw will need to have some considerable knockback though - enough that if you throw them from the edge of the stage, they'll be KO'd instantly. Otherwise it will be underpowered in 1-on-1 battles.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »

Yeah, I like the movelist and agree to chutup concerning the throw.
Also:

vS- Shield- Xoda creates a safe zone around herself. The shield blocks all projectiles (including her own). She can only have one shield at a time.

It will only block projectiles, or close range attacks too?

Anyway, nice that Xoda is being startet, but what about Turner? I think his movelist is also quite complete and there even is an idle sprite for him already.
But I guess we don't need to be too strict about the order...
Also: we need more spriters!  Cool

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:39:15 PM »

i think this thread became xoda's.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 12:17:20 AM »

For her down+A: she already has two kick attacks. How about a quick downward punch - not a pound because it doesn't touch the ground, only the enemy. When used in the air, it will send enemies flying into the ground, allowing Xoda to pursue them with Fly. On the ground, it will just be a slower, more powerful counterpart to her neutral A.

Anyway, nice that Xoda is being startet, but what about Turner? I think his movelist is also quite complete and there even is an idle sprite for him already.
But I guess we don't need to be too strict about the order...
We started the thread now so we can discuss moves/combat style, but Xoda is still at the back of the queue when it comes to coding. I'm working on The Golden Knight next, and Nightshade is working on Turner IIRC.

godsavant
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »

To keep riffraff down, all colors used are from the Quote sprite. I tried to stick to Oracle's concept sketch, but it was just too damn huge.

Speaking of which:

Noitu himself doesn't get much love around here. No pun intended.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:19:54 PM by godsavant » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »

The ponytail should come out from the base of head, not the top. Like this:

And I suppose the body could be a bit... sleeker. But otherwise, great work!

godsavant
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »

Yeah, just realized Xoda's ponytail looked like soft-serve ice cream, so revised it for a bit more fluid motion:

I was just getting around to editing my OP when you responded...:3
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:24:35 PM by godsavant » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:51:09 PM »

I like the idea of Noitu as a character, but I'm not sure if he has enough moves. I haven't played much into Noitu Love 1, but it seems like he basically has a three-hit combo and that's it. Though I suppose he could morph into different evolution forms for his specials.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 07:15:27 PM »

Xoda has all of Noitu's moves, and then some. I don't really see the point of including both.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

I think the throw should damage both enemies if it hits, i.e. Xoda grabs enemy 'A' and throws them at enemy 'B'. If they hit they both take damage. This would be more in keeping with NL2 (and 1?)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »

Agreed on the throw thing. It seems odd that the thrown foe wouldn't take any damage.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »

Yeah, just realized Xoda's ponytail looked like soft-serve ice cream, so revised it for a bit more fluid motion:

I was just getting around to editing my OP when you responded...:3

Looking good already, but she looks like her booty is a bit fat. Wink
Maybe try to make her a little bit skinnier around the waist?

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 03:30:29 AM »

Looks fine to me
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic