Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:25:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Xoda Rap
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Xoda Rap  (Read 104106 times)
godsavant
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »

Someone could draw the attack sprites now, wink wink nudge nudge Wink

Whee! The movelist is finalized, then?

SPLENDID.  Gentleman

Not that we'd mind someone else contributing, of course Smiley
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 05:51:59 PM by godsavant » Logged
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 11:15:41 PM »

I wish I had more time again to do some spriting... Xoda looks liek a cool character to animate... Undecided

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Corpus
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

Hm. It looks a little odd that the shading on her hat is straight, while the hat seems to be spherical or, at least, rounded (i.e. curved, not straight).
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »

Bah, im caught up with exams and finals till´ the end of December (mostly), so until then, i dont think i can be of much use.

Just wanted to congratulate everyone who is making an effort and all the new spriters that have stepped up.

Beer! Cheers gentlemans  Gentleman
godsavant
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 08:42:29 AM »

By the way (I should probably be asking konjak), how old is Xoda? From the promotional art and sprite comparisons, she looks near her twenties (and the same height as Almond and Rilo), but in the ending credits (

), she does seem very short, compared to everyone else - almost Noitu's height, I might dare say. Gentleman

Unless everyone in Omicron City is just really short. That's cool, too, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:59:11 AM by godsavant » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »

Started working on the charge animation, but as I watched some gameplay videos of NL2, I noticed that she emits sparkles and stuff when she prepares these projectile (which is dark red, apparently):

Not near finished, but should I continue? I don't think it's quite suitable... Huh?
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »

Yeah, there are basically two charge levels, the first one blue bubble-type things (like steam or something) come out, then I think level two is black bubbles with red outlines, though I may be wrong.

Think sort of more like her going Super Saiyan or something.
godsavant
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »

Thanks, I wasn't quite sure.

I don't suppose someone has an .gif or something of that? The video quality on the Youtube demos are really crappeh.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:51 PM »

Got one better - here's the demo version.
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 01:54:02 AM »

I am happy to see such attention to my character!

About the charge, I, with my lazy might, just used these blue clouds that invert color once you're charged enough.

By the way (I should probably be asking konjak), how old is Xoda?

I don't put an age on my characters.
There's nothing official. Cool
godsavant
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »

Oh, could you really perform that move in the demo? I did play it once (on a friend’s computer, I use a Mac and a Gateway laptop), and promptly died thirty seconds in, but I never really learned how to do moves like the charge-up. I’ll have to look back at it.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »

Yup, try the tutorial - it's all there.  Wink

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
godsavant
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

Oh, I see now! So her projectile doesn't actually appear on-screen while she's charging it. The mask sprites got me all confused.  Embarrassed
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2008, 01:02:49 AM »

Sorry, my fault there. I just assumed everyone knew what it looked like.

Anyway, I was at chutup's place today, he started showing me how to code characters. It almost makes sense now! I've coded Xoda's running and jumping, and her punching, but for some reason it won't go into a flipkick, she just keeps punching. Eh, I'll figure it out eventually.
godsavant
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »

but for some reason it won't go into a flipkick, she just keeps punching. Eh, I'll figure it out eventually.

:D

A few questions, though:

-Will Xoda be able to move while charging up energy?

-Can the energy blast be fired at any of the three charge levels, or do you have to wait until the blast turns dark red (the last stage), like in the game?
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2008, 06:53:44 AM »

-Will Xoda be able to move while charging up energy?

-Can the energy blast be fired at any of the three charge levels, or do you have to wait until the blast turns dark red (the last stage), like in the game?
In Noitu Love 2, the answers would be yes and no. For Indie Brawl, I think it would be more interesting if the answers were no and yes, since there's no mouse aiming.

godsavant
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »

Well. that makes my job easier, then.

If that's the case, though, the energy blast should probably be made unblockable, and Xoda should be able to start charging and/or fire while in the air or falling, since  the sacrifice of all mobility and intentional charge-up lagtime means that few people are going to stand still long enough to be caught in the attack's path (given that the charge animation gives them a lot of prior warning).
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »

Wow, sweet animation godsavant. I think that either: the level 3 blast should be unblockable and undeflectable, level 2 unblockable, level 1 blockable; or, level 3 unblockable and high knockback, level 2 blockable but high knockback, level 1 piss-weak and blockable. Or something like that.

Also, I was just playing the demo to get a screenshot of the shield (for inspiration, y'know?), when I saw this and grabbed it too.

Her head looks a bit too big in your pic godsavant. Too much bubblehead-hat maybe. Just to put it bluntly.  Wink

UPDATES:
I have now finished most of her coding, only 2 moves left: fly towards closest enemy and shield. I can get shield working by setting attack_template as its parent, but then it follows Xoda. I tried not parenting it and having its own alarm 0 that tells it when to die, but then it just doesn't appear at all. Help!

With the flying, I know how to calculate the distances using pythagoras (sqrt[(x - other.x)^2 + (y - other.y)^2]) but that's about it. I could use if(p#_type != 0) then do the pythag, but how would I tell it to determine which one has the lowest value?

I have created a modified sprite to use for shielding, but when I put it in finish_creation as shield_sprite, when I try to block in-game it says that Character is trying to draw a non-existent sprite. It works fine using the original sprite, and the spelling is defnitely correct.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:22:01 AM by Rory » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2008, 01:15:50 AM »

For the shield, I expect you won't want to parent it to any of the templates, since none of them really fit what it is. If it's not appearing at all, I expect it's either killing itself too early somehow, or not getting made because attack_create() is trying to do something that it can't do because the shield doesn't have the same variables as the other attack templates.

To compare the values for fly, couldn't you do something like:
if (distance_p1 > distance_p2) {target = p1}
if (distance_p2 > distance_p3) {target = p2}
if (distance_p3 > distance_p1) {target = p3}

Or am I missing something there?

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2008, 01:32:05 AM »

Yeah I fixed the shield. Instead of attack_create I just used instance_create.

That distance thingy looks good, but how do I get each character's x and y values? Do I just use p1.x or 1.x or something?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic