Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:01:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSo how about that Devil May Cry
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: So how about that Devil May Cry  (Read 2780 times)
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »

Discuss.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

terrible writing.

I wonder why they are rebooting this franchise. it's not like it deserves it, the games have always been a bit mediocre.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »

Well, half of them anyway.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:39:00 AM »

hahahahahahahahahaha

though tbh, it's not like the stories of the previous gams were high literature exactly
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:28:30 AM »

Player the demo and the gameplay is pretty good.

Not expecting anything from the story, thought.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 07:01:08 AM »

I think the question we should be asking here is, is it better than Bayonetta or at least Devil May Cry 3 ? From what I've played of the Demo the answer is a no  Lips Sealed

Life sucks and then you die.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »

not even anywhere close to them. combat's been dumbed down beyond recognition.
AshfordPride
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »

By "genuine", do they mean "officially bribed and approved"?

Anyway, despite getting some of them, I could never really get into these kinds of action games - maybe I like action RPGs better because the story balanced out the mindless slicing and dicing. God Hand was cool, but I got tired of it halfway through. The only exception is No More Heroes and the sequel, which I really liked.

AshfordPride
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

By "genuine", do they mean "officially bribed and approved"?

Well why don't you just read this 7.5 review that was put out earlier?
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »

Capcom'd better be looking out for Tim Langdell with all the EDGE they're putting into this.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

I played the demo and I loved it. Gameplay was very tight, graphics were damned impressive and I did like the needlessly vulgar dialogs. My only gripe was the dubsteb boss music.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »

I watched a gameplay video of the demo and it looks pretty standard. It's been how many years and they still haven't changed the basic gameplay at all.

Probably will be the reason I won't play this, because I've already played this game a million times already.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

Yeah, the games are pretty dug into a niche since they focus entirely on combat mechanics, kinda like fighting games. So that would obviously fall apart if the player doesn't appreciate it.

But I rather that than something spread out. Like I can't muster how someone would prefer NMH because all of its elements are vapid, and I kinda tend to hate open world elements because they aren't concentrated efforts at all, oops. (take that sundown)

Though on the other side, action games generally haven't had actual good level design ever.

But meep, DmC isn't even doing anything good (or unique) with its combat mechanics, and the level design screams DMC2 in its aesthetic and design callbacks (i sure love nondescript urban alleys with non-engaging enemies) so it's even worse than the standard.

on the plus side: it has dubstep boss music which means it will be just as dumb as the other dmcs.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »

the weird metal music in other DMCs is always a guilty pleasure of mine
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 04:43:42 AM »

Yeah, the games are pretty dug into a niche since they focus entirely on combat mechanics, kinda like fighting games. So that would obviously fall apart if the player doesn't appreciate it.

But I rather that than something spread out. Like I can't muster how someone would prefer NMH because all of its elements are vapid, and I kinda tend to hate open world elements because they aren't concentrated efforts at all, oops. (take that sundown)

What I liked about No More Heroes was that the game hooks you in the beginning with its zany story, and continues with that without completely focusing on the combat. Probably a necessity, since the combat wasn't that great to begin with. It wasn't even that much of an open world game, since driving around the city was just a way to get to different areas. Probably my main attraction to No More Heroes was the unusual presentation and feel of the game, the good music, et cetera... not really the combat.

I like open world games, I love to explore, it's just when the game gives you constant mindless action that I get bored of it. In singleplayer, anyway - I'm okay with it in multiplayer.

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »

DMC is okay, but I always liked God Hand better. Could never understand why DMC got sequel after sequel while God Hand got only neglect.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

Could never understand why DMC got sequel after sequel while God Hand got only neglect.
wrong place wrong time. also mediocre graphics and lack of marketing budget probably.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »

Could never understand why DMC got sequel after sequel while God Hand got only neglect.
wrong place wrong time. also mediocre graphics and lack of marketing budget probably.

Looking back on it, God Hand feels a lot like Borderlands, which is an incredibly popular game. I think it would actually do pretty well if it was remade or ported. I personally liked pretty much everything about God Hand, it was cool, but the plot wasn't interesting enough to make me want to beat the game.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »

the weird metal music in other DMCs is always a guilty pleasure of mine
agreed, it was pretty fitting to the gameplay in older games too....this new one looks and sounds terrible, I loved 1,3, and 4 (2 i didn't like the changes, really made the game feel second rate, plus emo-dante = fail, glad they kinda reverted him back in 3 and 4)

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic