Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAzure (Title Pending)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Azure (Title Pending)  (Read 11579 times)
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »

This is a Zelda-like project I've been working on.  Can't tell you much information about it right now but I have uploaded a small 4 room demo if you want to try it out.

http://gamejolt.com/games/action/azure-engine-demo/13825/

Old:

I'm taking a break from my main project for a game that'll hopefully take me no more than 3 months but that seems rather optimistic.

This game will be a very short action/adventure game heavily inspired by Link to the Past.  Right now I've got down the very basics like how the character moves but I have a very important decision coming up that could change how the entire game is made.

I went into this project assuming that everything in LttP was viewed at a 45% angle, so all of the floor tiles were squashed and you move twice as fast horizontally as you do vertically, but when I looked at some LttP screenshots it was clear that everything was viewed from a completely top down view and that only the character sprites were at a 45% angle.

So now I have to decide if I leave the environment and movement at 45% or have it completely flat like in the original LttP.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:13:52 PM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:12 PM »

Quick update:  I'm working on some tiles.  This is still a work of progress and I'm planning adding a few touches.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
poe
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

The stone floor reads as a wall for me, but I love the actual walls!
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »

Looking forward to what you do with the Zelda mechanics!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »

I've started working on my sprite for the main character.  I honestly don't know why I chose to make the hero a girl.  It was the first thing I could think of with my color palette and size restrictions.

Also I've unsaturated the floor quite a bit, but I don't want to take up too much room with pictures so I'll save showing you my progress with the room until I've made enough changes.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:38:35 PM »

Well, I'd rethink the design honestly, because this:

Does not really look right.
Looks like someone dropped a Zelda 1 Link into a LttP area.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:10 PM »

yeah, player might benefit from gaining a little bit of weight.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »

Noticed that too :/

I'll rethink the design.

I'm having trouble designing a character that looks good in this perspective.  I'm too used to making platforming sprites.

Perhaps if I made her bigger and drew her at an angle so the sprite is a bit more square it could work.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:25:15 AM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:10 AM »

So I reworked the sprite:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:19:04 AM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:18 AM »

I can already tell from the thread title that this is going to be awesome Smiley

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 07:49:05 AM »

The sprite still looks really tiny. Any reason why you're not making LTTP-like sprites?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »

Okay while yes, what seagaia said was true, the character was thin, the character looks out of place art style-wise.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

I'm never opposed to zelda ripoffs!

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »

Okay while yes, what seagaia said was true, the character was thin, the character looks out of place art style-wise.

In what way?  While the background is definitely Zelda-esque, I'm not going to try to copy LttP with any of my sprites.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »

In what way?  While the background is definitely Zelda-esque, I'm not going to try to copy LttP with any of my sprites.
Well, a large part of it is the seemingly much lower resolution, which leads to lack of shading and detail (which the walls and floor are full of). It also doesn't have outlines, which, to me, doesn't fit with the floors/walls (although, perhaps with more shading and detail, it could fit? Not sure)

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »

Well, a large part of it is the seemingly much lower resolution, which leads to lack of shading and detail (which the walls and floor are full of). It also doesn't have outlines, which, to me, doesn't fit with the floors/walls (although, perhaps with more shading and detail, it could fit? Not sure)

The resolution is the same as the background?

Keep in mind that the point isn't to make it fit in with the background, the point is to make it stand out.  I also want to keep my character sprites readable, which means I'll use shading sparingly.

I'm sorry if the walls and floor made you think there would be LttP sized sprites, but that's not the case, in fact, making 32x32 walls for a 16x16 grid probably wasn't the best idea because I'm gonna have to find a way to make the doors centered.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »

Standing out, fine.
Looking out of place, that's just wrong though.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:53 AM »

Standing out, fine.
Looking out of place, that's just wrong though.

You still haven't told me what the problem is or how to fix it though.

Is it that you think the sprite is too small?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 01:13:24 AM »

The problem is that your walls/background have shading and minor detail, while your sprite is very flat with no shading at all. Both of those are good styles, depending on your game. However, using a sprite with no shading and backgrounds with shading make the character look out of place and awkward. This is why everyone always says never to mix resolutions.

So, if you're trying to make a Link to the Past style game, I'd take a look at the style of their sprites and try to copy that style while still making your character original and unique.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:42 AM »

The problem is that your walls/background have shading and minor detail, while your sprite is very flat with no shading at all. Both of those are good styles, depending on your game. However, using a sprite with no shading and backgrounds with shading make the character look out of place and awkward. This is why everyone always says never to mix resolutions.

So, if you're trying to make a Link to the Past style game, I'd take a look at the style of their sprites and try to copy that style while still making your character original and unique.

Just taking my original sprite and adding shading to it might seem like a pretty lazy approach to your advice, but I tried to add more depth to the character and I think it actually worked really well.

Sigh, it's been a week and I'm still messing around with what the main character should look like.  I haven't even started animating yet.  3 months seems really optimistic for this game.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic