Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:18:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAzure (Title Pending)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Azure (Title Pending)  (Read 11638 times)
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 02:04:11 AM »

Maybe, instead of redoing the character to make it fit your surrounding, can't you change you walls a bit to make them fit with your character?

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 02:17:12 AM »

The problem is that your walls/background have shading and minor detail, while your sprite is very flat with no shading at all. Both of those are good styles, depending on your game. However, using a sprite with no shading and backgrounds with shading make the character look out of place and awkward. This is why everyone always says never to mix resolutions.

So, if you're trying to make a Link to the Past style game, I'd take a look at the style of their sprites and try to copy that style while still making your character original and unique.

Just taking my original sprite and adding shading to it might seem like a pretty lazy approach to your advice, but I tried to add more depth to the character and I think it actually worked really well.

Sigh, it's been a week and I'm still messing around with what the main character should look like.  I haven't even started animating yet.  3 months seems really optimistic for this game.

Character blends a bit better with the environment now. Alttp is one of my favorite games so I am really curious about where you want to take this.
For the character,
I can imagine that there might be some issues later on when you want to fight enemies and such. The sword seems kind of small, not in relationship to the character, but rather regarding the range when swinging it. Right now it feels like you would have to be really close to the enemies to hit them. I don't know, but that might be something you would want to test.
Also there might be the fact that your character is kind of small in relation to the environment. Maybe a smaller tileset would fit the character better. It kind of looks like your environment tiles would fit ALTTP but if you would compare your character sprite to link there would probably be a huge difference. So, maybe you want to have a look at thet too.

There is a lot of hard work into actually making a game, a lot of things that you at first thought doesn't consider really. And you will probably have to adjust a lot of stuff along the way. In our current game I finished two different resolutioned tilesets before we thought that we wanted to go in a completely different direction and had to throw everything away.
But I am sure that every change that you feel is for the better will make your game even better so don't mind that too much. And things usually takes longer time than expected. But you will gain a lot of experience from it andthis will make future projects go smoother and become better.
So just keep up the good work. I am looking forward to more updates!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 02:26:05 AM »

stuff

Yeah, the sword will definitely have an exaggerated swing range, at least a full tile in front of her.

Games always seem manageable at first but are a lot more complex when you actually try to make them.  I have made a lot of games actually,even though I wouldn't call any of them finished.  Despite that I've learned from every one of them.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »

I always procrastinate making the animations but I'm finally starting on the main character's main run animations.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »

I feel like the biggest problem with the character sprite in relation to that room is perspective. Why is the room 100% top-down while the player is pretty much side-view? It reads more as side-view than even a 3/4th top-down... I'd save that character for a side-scrolling game because the work you've done on her(?) so far looks good, but it doesn't really work in the context of this particular game.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

The old floor didn't really fit with the rest of the very "clean" tileset so I've been messing around with some new floor ideas.  Anyone have suggestions?

Also I've made some doors, but I'm still figuring out how to handle the depth when she enters and exits them.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »

Have you decided how you are going to fill the rooms in terms of game mechanics? It's a quite large room.

play hydlide 2
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:25 AM »

Hey, I've decided to put off making animations of the protagonist swinging her sword because I was starting to procrastinate it indefinitely.  Instead I made a slime enemy that jumps around and a pretty good system for how enemies behave when they are damaged by something.

It's starting to look like a game.  I'd make a gif, but that'd be a crap ton of work.  Tired

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »

Angle on the girl, for heaven's sake.

Like these

See? No legs, neck and no forehead. Drop the bandanna, shorten the legs and cut a pixel line on the neck and see if it fits.

Yeah.
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:47:14 AM »

It's a tad too late for that my friend.  Shrug

I'll just go ahead and file your advice into the list of things people have said to me during my existence.

Anyways, I've been working on player/enemy interactions and I can tell that my programming has improved a ton since I started making games because my codes for taking damage for both the player and for enemies feels so perfect it's almost poetic.  Tears of Joy

I wish I could show you guys some stuff but none of what I'm working on is screenshot material.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »

Let me convey some of my ideas

if you know what I mean

Those bottomless pits aren't actually real yet, so just try to pretend so you don't hurt their feelings.

Mostly just messing around.  Progress is slower than it needs to be.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »

Let me convey some of my ideas
if you know what I mean
Outraged
If I ever see you in person I'm going for blood for that comment.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »

OMG danger!

Not the most flattering image but whatevs.

Not sure about those ball n' chains.  They seem a tiny bit off.

Also sorry for not posting for a while.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »

Aw come now. Everybody's going after the perspective like it's the most important thing in the game. It's not like LTTP had correct perspective anyway, so what's it matter? Lots of games don't have correct perspective, so it's not 1st place for the game.

The animation quality itself is really slick. I like the secondary bobs and bounce you've got going on her hair and walk cycle. I think the ground in the last pic could be more dark gray or dark purple to match the mood of the walls, but overall, I like the way things are looking. Keep it up!

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 12:35:18 AM »

Eh, screenshots don't really tell much about the game and I don't want to bother with gifs so I'm gonna go ahead and upload a small 4 room demo.

http://gamejolt.com/games/action/azure-engine-demo/13825/

Also I was thinking of the name Azure for the game.  Of course this is all subject to change.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »

Updated the OP

I'm almost ready to start building the actual game.

maybe

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »

Anyone know any good music programs for Snes style music?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »

SunVox is pretty great and is what I use. If you use samples from SNES games (should be legal?) then it could sound pretty authentic, I think.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »

Hi there

I fixed the depth when you enter doors

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
SrKen
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »

Really nice, keep the good work!

I see your looking to add music to your game, maybe I can help you? I'm a composer: https://soundcloud.com/ken-rs

If you wish to do a collaboration I can make some music appropriate for the game. Beer!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic