Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1043029 Posts in 42257 Topics- by 33909 Members - Latest Member: bernardshor

September 17, 2014, 01:30:22 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralouya game dev competition thing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ouya game dev competition thing  (Read 670 times)
Sean Hogan (seagaia)
Level 10

this is okay

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

http://indiegames.com/2013/01/phil_fish_felicia_day_to_help_.html#disqus_thread

What do you think?

I think the prizes sound great. I'm in the middle of finishing/releasing and probably can't handle learning a few new libraries (since has to be coded with their APIs for input?), dealing with all that stuff AND managing to make an okay game, in two weeks, though, so I won't be doing it. but perhaps YOU WILL have infinite victory!

on a slightly technical note: Does this mean that I would have to write the project in Java, in order to use their controller input APIs which I assume you'd have to use?

https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/controllers

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »

To participate, developers have to show that they pre-ordered an OUYA or backed OUYA's Kickstarter. KillScreen states that "this is to prevent spam entries, without us having to charge an entry fee."

what the fuck?
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »

It makes sense. They only want entries that are actually going to be on OUYA
Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »

They're giving out Ouyas to people who have Ouyas? That's what I don't get.

( ˙͜>˙ )
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »

It makes sense. They only want entries that are actually going to be on OUYA

no, it doesn't make sense. and why give an Ouya dev box to someone who already has one?

for example there's a current competition on EGP right now to make games to play on Sifteo cubes. they don't require anyone to own the cubes, they give you the API and necessary documentation to make a game compatible with it and that's it.

you don't have to have an Ouya to make a game that would play on it, it's silly.

The Ouya website itself doesn't even indicate that you HAVE to have pre-ordered the console, you have to click on the "fine print" mini-faq to get that information.

http://www.ouya.tv/create/ says:
If youíre a game developer, youíre qualified to compete in CREATE for $45,000 in prizes contributed by some wonderful OUYA supporters. You donít even need an OUYA. Just start coding.

http://killscreendaily.com/create/#gotchas
says
You'll need to show that you pre-ordered an OUYA or backed OUYA's Kickstarter (this is to prevent spam entries, without us having to charge an entry fee). We want winners to have the genuine intent to bring their game to OUYA.

so they say it's for an entry fee? and why would anyone develop a game for an Ouya contest if they didn't want their game to be playable on the Ouya? that doesn't make any sense.
kukouri
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »

Very strange entry rules.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:04:44 AM »

It was probably not so well thought out. And you can give it to a friend or something.
Eric McQuiggan
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

team_q@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »

so they say it's for an entry fee? and why would anyone develop a game for an Ouya contest if they didn't want their game to be playable on the Ouya? that doesn't make any sense.

$20k probably?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »

I'd probably put more effort into making a game in hopes of getting 20k than I would for a chance to get on Ouya

if a requirement is to use the Ouya api and make a game playable on Ouya, why not let everyone join? if your game isn't playable on Ouya you get disqualified, problem solved and no reason to make people pre-order your dumb console to enter a game jam.
Capntastic
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »

Are there even Ouyas out in the wild yet?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

no, unless you have a dev console.
haruspexile
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

Sounds like a lot of fun! My coworker just got his dev kit, and he'd totally be into this.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic