Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:08:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-x
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: -x  (Read 4802 times)
miketucker
-x
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »

xdar
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:01:30 AM by Mike Tucker » Logged
Malky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »

Neat.

I like the colorful, abstract styles more than the rock-textured one.
miketucker
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »

Neat.

I like the colorful, abstract styles more than the rock-textured one.

Thanks, you're not the first person to mention that preference. The rock style might get dropped if it doesn't match up to the others. Ideally  each of the seven planets will have a unique graphic style-- abstract, clouds, water, lava, rock, ice, etc.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

Kiss

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »

Wow, this might turn out to be really surreal, especially with some Solar Fields-influenced music. I don't generally like "rails" in games, but with the perplexing geometry, I understand some limitations in movement could focus the experience. Though I can't make much of a judgment because I don't have a clear concept of what the gameplay will be about, besides racing down tunnels.
Ashkin
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

What?
Yes.
... what.
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

Did you get the world design idea off of that movie were they drill into the earths core and set off nukes to save the world? (can't remember the name)

Anyways looks like it might be fun.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »

this is cosmic-90s-cerebral-punk-core-tastic
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

Awesome.

Also. Did you make an account just for this particular game or is that your e-name?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:27:03 PM by Rob Lach » Logged

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 03:29:21 AM »

This is looking really interesting. I to0 really prefer the abstract aesthetic. Personally I think you should concentrate on that style, and then have the seven planets each have a unique take on it, in terms of colours etc. The rock texture does nothing for me, whereas the abstract ones are just gorgeous!

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
miketucker
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:58:46 AM »

Wow, this might turn out to be really surreal, especially with some Solar Fields-influenced music. I don't generally like "rails" in games, but with the perplexing geometry, I understand some limitations in movement could focus the experience. Though I can't make much of a judgment because I don't have a clear concept of what the gameplay will be about, besides racing down tunnels.

Yea I'm in total agreement about rails games, although Star Fox was a personal favorite growing up. That game does a nice job of making the world feel open despite being on rails. A similar comparison could be made to Crash Bandicoot. The games are essentially 2D, but with changes occurring on the Z axis rather than scrolling in from the side of the screen.

Some changes might make the game feel less 'closed'... like introducing forking routes or portals (ala Mario pipes). But this would significantly increase the level design time. Maybe sacrificing extra levels in favor of more fleshed-out ones is a fair trade?
miketucker
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:00:22 AM »

This is looking really interesting. I to0 really prefer the abstract aesthetic. Personally I think you should concentrate on that style, and then have the seven planets each have a unique take on it, in terms of colours etc. The rock texture does nothing for me, whereas the abstract ones are just gorgeous!

Thanks for the constructive feedback, it's interesting to see that people are in agreement on the abstract styles.
How about Mars overworld though? That has a more literal feel.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »

I do actually dig the Mars overworld, but I still think the abstract style will better suit that too. In terms of colour, pattern, design, the overworld bit looks great, but I'd like to see it brought in line with the abstracted aesthetic.

I think the problem for me personally is that, when I see 'realistic' textures alongside lower-poly count geometry it just instantly screams 1990s, ie. you're being held up by technical limitations! Whereas if you stylise the textures you can make the aesthetic feel deliberate, cohesive, and obliterate those comparisons to 'retro' or 'dated' games. That's just my personal feelings though, having been through this thought-process on my own project.

Overpass
Devlog
rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 05:28:28 AM »

This looks really cool. I would love to experience this in some sort of helmet thing!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
miketucker
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:09 AM »

I do actually dig the Mars overworld, but I still think the abstract style will better suit that too. In terms of colour, pattern, design, the overworld bit looks great, but I'd like to see it brought in line with the abstracted aesthetic.

I think the problem for me personally is that, when I see 'realistic' textures alongside lower-poly count geometry it just instantly screams 1990s, ie. you're being held up by technical limitations! Whereas if you stylise the textures you can make the aesthetic feel deliberate, cohesive, and obliterate those comparisons to 'retro' or 'dated' games. That's just my personal feelings though, having been through this thought-process on my own project.

Well articulated and argued, thank you. I'll try some variations on the overworld setting.
Abstraction can be tricky when also attempting to create immersion. Typically immersion is lost when an environment looks less like something we can relate with. It will be a fine line to balance.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »

Typically immersion is lost when an environment looks less like something we can relate with. It will be a fine line to balance.

Haha tell me about it!! That's where sound comes in, I think. Also, consistency is super, super important. Ie. that cohesive aesthetic again. I honestly think your stylised look, done properly across the whole project, will help with immersion. That, and a consistent set of rules the player can grasp and rely on. And by rules I mean the rules of the universe you're building: physics, the look, the sound, the mechanics.

Not that I actually know what I'm talking about but those are my thoughts on the matter Tongue

Overpass
Devlog
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

Very nice procedural weirdness!

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

Dude, seriously. While you have some gorgeous palettes, those textures are super messy. WTF
horssse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »

yes, the textures are too busy. (might i suggest a more eye-friendly design, such as "totally trippy" spirals, or even zig-zags???) while you're toning down the only unique aesthetic elements, please also get rid of all organic, abnormal geometric shapes. they are making me feel grossed out. if you want to be unusual or interesting, why not try one of these ideas??

1. space-age "hovercrafts" zoom around tron-like "computer zones"

2. "willy the worm" adventures through nine subtly different "cavern zones"

3. minecraft-like block-based construction

2. license star wars pod race designs, choose betw. 3 fun characters in eight "computer zones"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic