Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:45:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDiachron - Top down - Time twisting - Exploration shooter - (Formerly Zombygon)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Diachron - Top down - Time twisting - Exploration shooter - (Formerly Zombygon)  (Read 30579 times)
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »

Hello!

We would like to introduce our project: Zombygon. It is still being defined but in its current state the best way to describe it is top down exploration zombie shooter. It has been in development for several months working on a two man team around our full time schedules.

Our goal is to have a playable alpha by the end of the month that we can use for testing. The game is meant to play multiplayer so if anyone is interested in joining those tests please let us know.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/numizmatic
Devlog: http://zombygon.com

Thanks for reading! Time for some pictures.

[EDIT] Fixing image problems.
[EDIT] Changing images
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:08:21 PM by hube » Logged

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »

hmmm! I really like those environmental grahpics. They remind me a bunch of this guys work. I don't know if the character art is quite fitting into it yet.

Interested to see where this goes.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »

Yes! I'm a big fan of Tim's work. As well as this site http://geoaday.tumblr.com/- not sure who does this one. Got obsessed with the art style and took a stab at it myself.

As for the character - there was a point when I wanted to make some changes - initially we had him a bit disproportional - longer arms, very slim but he looked a bit like an alien. Then I tried to simplify things make him a little more chubby with less polys but I wasn't sure on the results and my buddy wasn't crazy about it so we kept him for now. We call him Clyde.

I'll revisit character design once we get an alpha and post designs on here for feedback. Thanks.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »

I think you need to work over water.
In fact, it seems there's no water, just colored terrain after all.

I guess that's on to-do list?

The screenshot you posted on "screenshot saturday" caught my attention, brought to your blog and finally made me post here  Durr...?

Are there going to be native NPCs / allies?

Keep it up Smiley

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »

The water right now is just a flat plane with a multiply texture that tints the terrain underneath. You can see depth in the screenshot as the legs of the dock go underneath. It isn't ideal, I know, but for now we're going to leave it the way it is. Maybe the screenshots don't show it the best but it doesn't look that bad in game. Do you think it needs a texture or some sort of motion? We tried distorting its surface but without any motion it just looked frozen.

We are planning on some NPCs, but no ai allies. The project still has many unanswered questions in terms of story and progression but we have already implemented multiplayer and are figuring out how to balance things so that it can be enjoyed alone as well as with a group of people.

toipot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »

There looks like there's a big difference in the level of model detail between the office area and the outdoors areas,
so to me the character looks like it fits in much better with the environment for the office.

I really like the style for the office area, but the outdoors ground looks a bit too uniformly 'lumpy' if you know what I mean?  Smiley
elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »

Looks interesting. Waiting for a game-play footage.
the office scene looks great!
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

There is a lot of difference in detail now that you mention it. Do you think that contrast is too high? Those shots are a bit older - the forest is now much more littered with bushes and tree stumps and rocks so maybe I need to go out and take some newer shots... maybe at the full width of the screen.

Hi-res on imgur
http://imgur.com/a/8RIOW#0

toipot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

There is a lot of difference in detail now that you mention it. Do you think that contrast is too high? Those shots are a bit older - the forest is now much more littered with bushes and tree stumps and rocks so maybe I need to go out and take some newer shots... maybe at the full width of the screen.

Those do look like they'd clash less with the indoor environment, but there should probably be a bit more variety in the bushes etc (at least rotate them differently so they're not all aligned the same way  Smiley )

I think the ground could be made to look a bit less regular by block colouring different combinations of the triangle shapes at a time, at the moment the regularity of the triangle shapes is a bit distracting for me.

Taking an example from the link above this is roughly what i'm trying to get at, the polygons making up the terrain vary in size, and shape, breaking things up a bit. I guess making the ground polygons differ from triangles would be a bit technically challenging though!
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »

Yes that is a challenge... we'd have to do a complete overhaul of the terrain to make it like the picture you've shown. When we went with this density of triangles it was to make the forest not feel sterile. To some degree I feel it correlates with the contrasts you get in life - natural vs human environments.

Good point on rotating the bushes unfortunately I don't think we can Sad I've tried. They're made using the unity trees tool so they can't rotate (even though we're not using the unity billboards its part of the tool) - we'll try to find a way. Same goes for all the trees, stumps, rocks.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »

looks great, shame it's about zombies though. they have a tendency to be the least interesting enemy to fight against and there's such an abundance of them lately.

just personal preference though, a lot of people still enjoy them. you're game looks cool enough where I'd play it anyway.
mauz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:26:31 AM »

I really like the low poly style, maybe the outdoor could use some kind of casted shadows to help elements stand out, and at the seame time help to indetify height of objects?

following it.  Beer!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words.

Yes I know Smiley I've gotten used to getting the flak about making a zombie game. We have some unique gameplay elements planned and I'm very excited about the story we came up with so I'm more focused on that.

I really like the low poly style, maybe the outdoor could use some kind of casted shadows to help elements stand out...

Thanks. Yes - we are currently developing in Unity's free version. We hope to eventually upgrade and implement some nicer post processing and real time shadows.

tuckertuck
Level 0

Man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:07:11 AM »

Hey Hugh
Can't wait to see it with some post-processing, I think that will really make it sing

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »

Thanks Jamie! I hope it does Smiley

Small dev update: it has been animation week for me getting our characters to run and fight. This weekend we're planning a bit of a code-jam and still pushing to get to playable alpha by the end of the month.

Wish us luck!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »

Finished up logo/icon and a first run of the menu ui

toipot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 04:55:40 AM »

I like the depth of field effect! Seems to suit the geometry.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:03 AM »

Even though I'm tired of zombie games this looks neat!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »

Thanks!

The depth of field is only on the menu screen, in game the perspective is more top-down so you don't see that far. We are going to experiment with a more thirds person rotating camera to see which plays better but for now it's top down.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

I guess I'm not that tired of zombie games but few has gotten it right so far. Will it be kind of the DayZ type of deal where it is focused on survival mainly and will the game run massive servers?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic