Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:49:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDiachron - Top down - Time twisting - Exploration shooter - (Formerly Zombygon)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Diachron - Top down - Time twisting - Exploration shooter - (Formerly Zombygon)  (Read 30693 times)
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

Thanks! I'm getting my hands into some of that light baking. Hopefully I can pull off what I want on unity free.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »

After several failed attempts I was inclined to give grass another go and I am finally happy with the result. It is just a 2d sprite but rendered at an angle makes it look good enough Smiley What is important is it adds to the overall feeling of the forest. Still low poly but now a bit more rough on the grassy parts.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 01:15:49 AM »

I Like the overall result, the grass looks good
rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 05:40:05 AM »

Thanks! I'm getting my hands into some of that light baking. Hopefully I can pull off what I want on unity free.

How are you currently doing your lighting? I like the way the light currently looks on the polygonal ground.  And it looks like you're getting some ambient occlusion on your interior spaces.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »

Right now it's all lit with plain unity lights. There are textures I use to paint the ground, and the indoors I bake an ambient occlusion but only on the walls and floors. I bake it in blender and export as texture.  I,d like the indoors to be darker which I've managed to achieve using layers and exlusion on the lights but now I just realized that my characters are still lit up when entering these dark spaces so I need to solve that issue... I want darkness because power plays a role in the game and it would be better if the bunker was pitch black till you fixed it.

P.s. I turned the light down outside as I made the switch from ambient lighting to 3 directional lights. That's why it may appear darker outdoors in that shot.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »

Never did add this here - its from a while back. The building construction process from paper to in-game. Still needs some finish but more or less there.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »

Adding grass, changing the textures, changing the lighting, adding some fog. 

Also spent the weekend erecting a mountain and carving a river. I decided this was needed to split up the level as it was too homogenous and you easily lost your orientation. Adding mountains, cliffs and rivers gives great reference points and breaks the land up into subsections easier for the player to remember and navigate. It also gives us the opportunity to block parts of the level away. I am planning to now fence off a good chunk that will be unlocked as you progress.

Now I have to figure out how to make these waterfall flow Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:46:03 AM by hube » Logged

aidji
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »

I really like the look, can you explain how to render like this?  do you need to work on the texture or its a kind of toon shader?
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »

It is just standard Unity 3d Free doing the rendering. The objects I make (not all) have a baked ambient occlusion texture. Here's how I make that in Blender.

The image doesn't fit properly - you can see it here
http://zombygon.com/images/gif18.gif

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »

Ambient occlusion gives it shading. if that's what you mean by soft then yes, it makes corners and edges darker making the object appear more naturally lit. The colour and lighting in the scene also make a contribution to the final product as you can see in the before/after gif I posted a few posts back.

Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »

This gets more enticing every time I check on it  Grin

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2013, 06:03:55 AM »

It is just standard Unity 3d Free doing the rendering. The objects I make (not all) have a baked ambient occlusion texture. Here's how I make that in Blender.

Hey cool! I've been wondering how you were getting that faceted look on your terrain. Looking good!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »

thanks.Right now we are working towards a build that we'll be submitting to a local Toronto game showcase called gamercamp where if selected we'll be showing our game at in November. For that we're completing the spawn area and making the gameplay actually flow.

Rob has been enhancing the enemies ai so they don't just run at you single file. once we get this build out Wednesday we'll be upgrading to the latest version of unity and I'm really going to get to work on or animations and enemies.

Gamercamp announces their choices at the end of the month so keep your fingers crossed.

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »

Hey - like everyone else said - the art style is awesome. My eyes would be happy playing this game!

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »

Hey Hube, haven't heard anything in a while. Any updates?

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »

Hey, YES! An update is well overdue!

Sad news first - we did not make it into the gamercamp showcase. On the one hand I can see why, our game is still in an early alpha so it is hard to convey the vision of what it is going to be to someone who is taking it completely out of context. On the other hand I don't know how far along games are suppose to be if they are being released in Spring 2014. I guess it all depends on the productivity and ability to commit of the people making the game.

Anyway - on to gamedev news!

The AI is being improved for the enemies, I wrapped up work on the generator controls this week and got started on implementing the story - step one of which is putting together a dialog system. Also I am doing a second pass on the character animations as they are a bit rough... we updated our project to the latest Unity release which means we now have access to mechanim for the character animations so we will be porting everything from c# scripts into there.

As I work on that Rob is busy working on new weapons, sorting out AI bugs and making the enemies more challenging.

Here are some screenshots of whats going on:

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »

I like how you're handling the text boxes with the scrolling text and dynamic background resizing.  And that switch panel is really cool too!  Is there a puzzle associated with it?

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2013, 07:22:51 AM »

Hey Wink I think I need to subscribe to my own thread somehow because I don't check in on it often enough :D

The panel is not exactly a puzzle - it is a compliment. It lets you power up different objects that are hooked up to it. Usually the panel cannot support all the switches available so it lets you pick and choose what you have on.

Power does play an important role in the game - the story line will explain why but the enemies in the game teleport in - they can only teleport to locations where electricity is flowing. You will need electricity to access certain areas, open doors or power entire bunkers on the island and every time you flip that switch sure enough the baddies will start teleporting in wherever they can.

Small update: I added a zoom effect on the dialog boxes.

ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2013, 06:17:40 AM »

Man, this game actually looks damn fine! If there's even a little story and some adventure elements it's going to be kick ass.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

Thanks ArturHilger!

I'm really glad you like it. I just made some improvements to the dialog GUI. It is now interactive!! This means we can finally start getting elements of the story (yes there is a story!!) into the game.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic