Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:09:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)RTS formation movement
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: RTS formation movement  (Read 7672 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »

I've heard good things about the Cossacks games in the past. Not really an RTS guy, so I can't say for sure. Here's a decent looking Let's Play, takes a while to really get into battle though (you can skip to the ten minute mark).

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »

Ah interesting, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that both of those games tend to have mass amounts of units, are 3D based and tend to have fun with zoom levels.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »

Yes, in particular Supreme Commander fixed the lack of formation system in Total Annihilation, by implementing a new kind of formation system that would make agents keep relative formation while moving like a group. Basically, two groups could cross without interacting much because they kept rigid formation with the group.

They did some article online about that, called it "Flowfield" : http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/tafxyc/supreme-commander-2-flowfield-pathfinding-doc

Also, depending on the space structure of the game, this might not be a good approach. For example a game like Homeworld or Homeworld 2 really needs to think in attack waves. Still the ships do what they can to keep organized. It's really interesting to see because you can have different level of dodging, which means they are more or less allowed to break formation depending on the player request.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »

Yet formation becomes even more important in 3D space, I would expect? Being able to spread out or to focus attacks to a single point (X-claw formation with many small weak units to take out big units) comes to mind.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic