Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:39:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAfter the Comet
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: After the Comet  (Read 25837 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

I've been working on a conversation system. There's no text because I don't want the game to pause or have any sort of GUI so I've opted for purely audio dialogue. The idea is that other characters will ramble away according to the situation and the player can interject with 'yes'(RMB) or 'no'(LMB) whenever they want, causing the conversation to branch when appropriate. It's really easy to implement and so far I'm very pleased with the results - it actually seems a lot less limited than selecting from longer lists of pre-made replies, once you accept the MC is a gruff man of few words. Only problem is that sooner or later I'm going to have to rope in some people who aren't me to help provide voices...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:08:45 AM by Panurge » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »

Brilliant! That must be my favorite talking animation of all times.

wethesqueemish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »

This looks great!

I've always loved the super low pixel count of old sierra games and the like.

The restrictions always lend themselves to really interesting animation solutions.

Looking forward to seeing more!
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »

Thanks! I'm glad the talking animation works - I tried all sorts of different approaches but it turns out that only the simplest one even comes close to giving the right impression.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 02:36:16 AM »

The best way to go is probably still this (mildly NSFW) one though: http://i.imgur.com/DZGMZR9.gif

The 'oh no, what have I done?' part of that is absolutely hilarious.  Top marks.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »

The best way to go is probably still this (mildly NSFW) one though: http://i.imgur.com/DZGMZR9.gif

The 'oh no, what have I done?' part of that is absolutely hilarious.  Top marks.

Thanks! I was really pleased myself with the way that bit turned out.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »

Last of the animations done and dusted (for now at least). I decided I needed a few more goons for the player to plug:

A killer inspired by Peter Lorre. The tippytoe animation is going to change to something better but it's in until I figure out what that will be.

A generic thug. There may be three or four of these with differing barnets.

I can run around and shoot and talk on the first level now which is pretty thrilling for me and I'd like to share my excitement. What do people recommend for capturing a video of play as a gif?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:55:55 PM by Panurge » Logged

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »

I can run around and shoot and talk on the first level now which is pretty thrilling for me and I'd like to share my excitement. What do people recommend for capturing a video of play as a gif?

Would love to see this.

I use LICEcap for capturing animated gifs directly and ImageOptim (Mac) to optimize. Sometimes ImageMagick's "convert" command-line tool is useful to resize the animated gif. I can give you the command for that to save you some time if you need it. There are probably other optimization apps if you're on Windows.

I briefly tried capturing video first, then converting to animated gif but it doesn't work well at all for low-color stuff. LICEcap works great.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

Thanks very much! LICEcap looks perfect. Unfortunately, I am on Windows but I'll look into finding a similar optimisation tool.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:54 AM »

Got a few precious free days so I'm aiming to push ahead with this as much as possible. A video should be on its way very soon, once I can get the walk cycles looking more realistic and less like a tribute to Gerry Anderson.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:28:41 AM by Panurge » Logged

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »

These animations are coming together nicely Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »

Got a few precious free days so I'm aiming to push ahead with this as much as possible. A video should be on its way very soon, once I can get the walk cycles looking more realistic and less like a tribute to Gerry Anderson.

Can't wait to see that stuff put together in motion.
Also, +1 for lapdance cabinets!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »

These animations are coming together nicely Smiley

Thanks hube! It's starting to feel like an actual game now, which is nice, though I'm still loathe to post a vid because I'm not happy with the walk cycles and a lot of the backgrounds.

Can't wait to see that stuff put together in motion.
Also, +1 for lapdance cabinets!

Thank you jO! It does look pretty good with all the animations playing. As for lapdances, I hope you're sitting comfortably, because this one is especially for you:

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »

Just dropping in to say that this looks really classy. The animations are done right, and the theme is not often explored in games today. Keep going!

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Uhm...

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »

Awesome. This answers any questions I had about the layout. Great setting. I especially like the full-body portrait in the top room :D.

Twice the price, but worth it.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »

Just dropping in to say that this looks really classy. The animations are done right, and the theme is not often explored in games today. Keep going!

Much appreciated!

Awesome. This answers any questions I had about the layout. Great setting. I especially like the full-body portrait in the top room :D.

I'm glad it works for you! This screenshot is not completely accurate because at the moment it's set so that rooms fade to black when you're not in them. It's kind of necessary for the plot but I'm not sure how well it works visually...

I'm not sure whether that 'uhm...' Is the sound of uncertainty or a low growl of animal pleasure. I'm going to assume the latter!  Tongue

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »

This is looking pretty cool.  I like the mix of pulp sci-fi and seedy pulp mystery.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:24 AM »

Thanks - that's exactly the mix I'm aiming for, as in this squad car/flying saucer combo which you'll use to travel between locations:

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 04:33:19 AM »

Delicious, as usual. Initially I had a hard time reading the alien, but once I understood that the black thing is his tie and not his arm I was fine.

For a reason that is outside of my understanding this picture reminds me of this scene

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic