Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1037557 Posts in 41909 Topics- by 33523 Members - Latest Member: Nabor

August 30, 2014, 06:25:35 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsAfter the Comet
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: After the Comet  (Read 14550 times)
deddhogg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 02:12:04 AM »

TODAY IS THE DAY BETTER SEE SOME UPDATES ALL UP IN THIS BIATCH  Hand Money Right
i just really like the look of dis soz okbai
Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Biatch duly updated:

(I wasn't going to have jumping because there's little use for it in the story but it felt like you were nailed to the ground so I put it in - now I might even add some light platforming to a couple of the levels.)

Almost everything still lacks polish. The colours will change soon as will the walk cycles (again) and the text will either be audio or something prettier than the current floaty lettering. BUT... all the key mechanics are in place and the first couple of scenes are playable!

Tomorrow, go-go a-go-go...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:47:08 PM by Panurge » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »

\o/

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »

YES!

I didn't expect the jumping though. I think unless you turn it into a full platformer, the jumping is out of place. I know I personally won't be able to resist the temptation to just hophophophop everywhere; to the game's detriment. Maybe something like a run button or a really small 2-pixel hop would be enough to keep you from feeling pinned to the ground?

I actually like the walk cycles and I love that their car is a flying saucer.

Rabbit
Level 10

i can do what i want

TheRabbitInferno
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »

Jumping is rad. Who cares if there is no purpose? Its a thing you can do, and if characters are reacting, then its a cool thing you can do. Its not hurting anything to have it in there. Its adding some fun fluff.

put on these sunglasses or start eatin that trashcan
deddhogg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »

I think they probably feel fixed to the ground because of the large amounts of air above their heads. Jumping isn't bad per say, as long as it doesn't feel out of place in the levels. I like it though, and if there's going to be character reactions similar to the one in the gif it's brilliant!

Keep wörkin'   Kiss
Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 02:10:24 AM »

Jumping is a funny mechanism. I guess we just expect it in games. I read a comment the other day saying an fps wasn't realistic because it didn't have a jump option. The word choice seemed odd - I don't know about anyone else but I regularly go weeks without jumping. It just isn't something you need to do much in real life...

So I agree with both points of view - it would definitely spoil the atmosphere for players to bounce everywhere but it also feels kind of natural in a side-scroller and could be fun if I tie it in to the gameplay somehow. I think what I'll try is to add one or two platform areas (there are a couple of locations which lend themselves to this) but at the same time I'll reduce the height to smaller hops and maybe have a few places where jumping is outlawed, just to mess with those itchy fingers!

For example, jump up on the stage here and expect the management to return your ass in a champagne bucket:

FawfulBeans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »

there's the option of adding a delay to the jump of somekind, so that it's faster to walk places.

Freelance pixel artist.
Portfolio.
Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »

there's the option of adding a delay to the jump of somekind, so that it's faster to walk places.

Yes, that's a good idea. Perhaps a Prince of Persia style jump which needs a slight build-up beforehand - I think that could fit really well. Thanks!

cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »

Those sprites are very expressive for how small they are. Good job!
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »

Gah! The player goes behind the bartender!

deddhogg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »

There, there friend. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »

Those sprites are very expressive for how small they are. Good job!

Thanks!

Hmmm. Would you believe me if I said the player character is employing a special ability known as a 'Martian torso meld'? Thought not... I'll sort it out straight away - thanks for the spot!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »

That is the best low-res stripper bar I have ever seen.
One thing that bugs me about it is that the upper part of the screen feels so empty - which gives the whole scene a slightly wrong feeling. Usually those places (I heard from friends  Cool ) are kinda cozy and smaller - have you tried adding something like a roof that hangs really low? I'm thinking thick, long red curtains, maybe a little Twin-Peaks-esque?

Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2013, 05:42:30 AM »

That is the best low-res stripper bar I have ever seen.
One thing that bugs me about it is that the upper part of the screen feels so empty - which gives the whole scene a slightly wrong feeling. Usually those places (I heard from friends  Cool ) are kinda cozy and smaller - have you tried adding something like a roof that hangs really low? I'm thinking thick, long red curtains, maybe a little Twin-Peaks-esque?

That has been bugging me too and I love your curtain suggestion - I'll definitely try that out. Another alternative might be to double the size of all the sprites? That's something I've been considering doing anyway.

The inspiration for the club comes mostly from this, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19IVlgWmIBs

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic