Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:10:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 70036 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: January 23, 2014, 04:27:23 AM »

Maybe you should add some shading to that rotating arrow indicator? I'm having a hard time getting my eyes to pick up on the perspective (I'm guessing it's supposed to be hanging above the unit and pointing down at it?).

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »

Maybe you should add some shading to that rotating arrow indicator? I'm having a hard time getting my eyes to pick up on the perspective (I'm guessing it's supposed to be hanging above the unit and pointing down at it?).

ARGH! What did you do to my brain? I see what you mean now, probably a good call, thanks and cheers Smiley

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: January 26, 2014, 01:36:50 AM »

So family problems, jeep problems, and Kawe is also down with the flu..

Sometimes I really wonder.

At any rate I'm still trying to work in the targeting bit though. The general unit interface needs expanded, as currently there isn't any actual concept of a selected weapon. After that its really just looking up the weapon's fire arc, and running the logic to overlay that onto the map area as appropriate, flag targets, and do a few animation dances.

From a long term networking perspective, I've not quite decided how to handle some of this. I mean its basically a beautiful optimization to let the client handle all this logic, flag targets, etc. Then only verify when one of these targets is attacked, if its actually a legal move. The question is, what happens when its not valid? In general the only way this can happen is if someone is trying to cheat or their client got broke/edited.

My general instinct here is any illegal client action, causes the client to be disconnected, a log/mark to be appended to the player's account, and for it to likely reflect as a loss if its some sort of ranked/league game. With account history, accounts that exceed some various thresholds could be warned and eventually banned if needed.

I wonder if thats to harsh, or unforgiving for some broken client. Although I guess could always do a client side md5 hash check of client files to really separate broken/corrupted clients, and people that also bypass around the hash check.

On the other hand, I really have to replace a blower motor tomorrow, and really really should fix a leaking rear main seal.. Oil is way to expensive.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »

Well blower motor got replaced :D

Also did more work on the target marker bit, and on my engine in general. The onset of advanced shaders like blurs and such, have left my engine / framework missing some vital functionality that wasn't ever called for before. Like setting pixel/fragment shader uniforms and such.

I guess this is what happens when you set out with simple requirements like Pixel Art only, english only, and suddenly your not doing only PA, and you want to support other languages.

Overall the whole shader part of my framework could do with some polishing and expansion, it was so nice and simple once upon a time. *sigh* Smiley

Although one up side is since I also use this framework for my part time gamedev job that pays the bills while M.I.N.T is in dev, I can expand some of this during that time. Especially since I just arrived at wanting to try an add a bloom post process to a game I'm currently developing over there.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »

So yeah.. probably entering into a really low or null point of dev for a few months here. Family health problems, and events surrounding those, are pretty much disrupting time like crazy, and draining energy, let alone creative energies, something fierce. 

Conker534
« Reply #425 on: February 02, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »

Good luck man, Health > Anything else.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:45 PM »

We're not going anywhere, good luck.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: February 03, 2014, 02:45:30 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll still be around here off an on. Just need to see where all the cards land.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »

M.I.N.T trading card game confirmed.

Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »

hey, for a long time I have wanted to post on your thread. You have done a very good job here.

I really hope that your situation will be solved soon and the best way possible, good luck man

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »

hey, for a long time I have wanted to post on your thread. You have done a very good job here.

I really hope that your situation will be solved soon and the best way possible, good luck man
Welcome Smiley and thanks.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 05, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »

Targeting lock on animation, for when you hover over a marked unit for a second or so.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 05, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »

Mate, this looks really nice!

OCD question; when you target an enemy that is out of range do you highlight the pathfinding route up to the point of being in range?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »

OCD question; when you target an enemy that is out of range do you highlight the pathfinding route up to the point of being in range?

Cheers, no it doesn't currently do that, though that is an interesting suggestion. Ultimately most weapons have fire arcs which are defined as tile patterns, and you can toggle on visibility of these arcs to see exactly your full area of fire from your current position and facing.

I'm not sure about generating a singular path, but perhaps having it where you try to target a out of range unit, and any possible tiles in range that can be attacked from, could be highlighted. Then you could choose to path to one of those tiles if desired.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »

Love all of this. It all looks great.

Good luck with you and you family. These things happen. It's just a game. ya know.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: February 05, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »

Cheers, no it doesn't currently do that, though that is an interesting suggestion. Ultimately most weapons have fire arcs which are defined as tile patterns, and you can toggle on visibility of these arcs to see exactly your full area of fire from your current position and facing.

I'm not sure about generating a singular path, but perhaps having it where you try to target a out of range unit, and any possible tiles in range that can be attacked from, could be highlighted. Then you could choose to path to one of those tiles if desired.

Oh I see, so it's move OR attack? If you get a number of energy points to use per-turn I think you'd get User-Experience ++ from being able to just click an enemy unit and all the logic is calculated for you (well, when you just want to charge and attack)

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »

Its an action point based system, so in reality it might be move, attack, or attack, attack, attack, or move, move, move, or of course attack, move Smiley

I guess my concern with combining move and attack together as a single action, is that the movement path generated and used to move you to attack may well lead you into things like overwatch fire, or a bad tactical position. Its also possible that while doing a move towards an enemy new enemies come into view.

At any rate, I guess it could be combined, but my main thought there was to allow the player a better pick of position. As you may well want to choose a spot behind or along side an enemy to get bonus damage, or use alternative weapons, etc.

Dunno Smiley 

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »

The way you describe it you're probably best of keeping the separate; if the mechanic is anything like XCOM: Enemy Unknown where cover is vital then yeah, fine control all the way!

Do you have a gameplay video?

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »

Yeah cover is likely certainly to be important, as well as proper scouting and recon. I guess the game will ultimately be quite a bit more complex than the recent XCOM, closer to the original game in some ways.

The latest video I think is this thing

but it really only shows basic unit movement and map.

We're still working towards an initial combat ready build. Unless of course you count the original prototype of the game. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vD3e_qAnZj8/UZPqwJ3dhwI/AAAAAAAAA2w/Xijh6gpfd-I/s1600/design.png Smiley

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 06, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »

We're still working towards an initial combat ready build. Unless of course you count the original prototype of the game. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vD3e_qAnZj8/UZPqwJ3dhwI/AAAAAAAAA2w/Xijh6gpfd-I/s1600/design.png Smiley

That's a cool paper hack! Dodd you plan the game into fine detail on paper or just broad strokes? I'm a big advocate of the papery approach. Really helps work out bugs before they appear!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic