Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:23:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting-
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: -  (Read 1141 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
-
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »

-
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:57:33 AM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »

Battle Encounters
My personal preference (by a very long way) is the exact system you've ruled out. Although, given you're working in one of the RPG maker iterations, I can understand why you'd want to avoid it.
Just as a thought, have you played Breath of Death VII or Cthulhu Saves the World? The system they use is basically the classic random encounter model but after winning a certain number of battles in a given area it's considered cleared, with an option in the menu to re-enable encounters there temporarily, IIRC. I've no idea if that'd be more or less difficult to implement than the system you've planned already.

The Name
I'm hopeless at naming anything but there's a great thread for exactly this kind of question; the Game Name Clinic, stickied in this subforum. Make sure to mention that it's a comedic game, though.

Sound Effects
On a handheld console I occasionally find them helpful but not on anything I'd be devoting my full attention to througout. That said, unless the particular tone you choose is especially irritating (or too loud) it's not something that significantly detracts from my enjoyment.

Other than those questions, what would you love to see in my style of game? What have you liked in other games my style? Do you have any complaints or praises in regards to what you've seen in my devlog about the game?

I'm sure you already know this anyway but, even more than a typical J-RPG, a comic RPG lives or dies by it's script; it can be very hard to maintain the quality throughout while trying to be funny at the same time.
I'm not sure if it's easily achievable in the engine you're working with but long-ish item\skill descriptions are always a nice perk if they add to the atmosphere.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:28 AM »

Battle Encounters:
Assets, of course; can't believe I forgot about the bottomless pit for time\money in any tile-based RPG.

As regards the max. level for encounters in a zone: to all intents and purposes, then, you have the Zeboyd system anyway; slightly different (arguably improved) mechanic but the same result, really. The only aspect I thought might differentiate was being able to re-enable the encounters; I might just be a masochist but I really quite like RPGs that include optional grinding for extra items, skills or areas.
Necessary grinding, as was so common in the 80s and early 90s, appears to be a death sentence for a modern RPG (too niche, I guess) though I can even get behind that if the combat is interesting in some way; or if the game's on a handheld  Wink

Other:
That sounds like a good compromise between comedy and a solid game underlying it; I look forward to seeing what you end up with.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic