Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:00:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCJR - 2D gore metroidvania/contra
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: CJR - 2D gore metroidvania/contra  (Read 9511 times)
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »

CJR
by 2bam.com

(working title)

The prototype on this post doesn't represent the final mechanics/dynaimcs of the game. I'm taking it to a new direction.

Abstract
CJR is (will be?) a hardcore sidescroller platformer filled with life-threatening obstacles and hordes of enemies to annihilate and lots of gore. The story for now is straightforward, about a colonel surviving an alien strike who infiltrates the mother ship to destroy it and save the earth.

The gameplay will try to be half Metroidvania half Metal Slug, eventually aims to have procedurally generated levels.
Also frenetic but not humilliating: With hardcore perfect-timing situations but with infinite lives and a lot of checkpoints (in easy mode at least).

This alpha version has just one level, a duct-taped boss, weapon power ups, a bit of hollow backtracking with key-cards/doors and a combo-bonus when you fill the HUD's syringe.

Background
I started from scratch around the end of november give or take for an Argentinian competition "CODEAR" and won the first place. The theme was "Hardcore: Difficult but fun to play".
I messed around with some pixels and the main character was born. From there I kept prototyping some graphics. I had an abstract idea of the gameplay I wanted and have experience with platformers so I just let the grpahics lead the way.

It doesn't have HUGE aspirations but I'd like to complete this one.

I'm using Flixel as framework because I know it well, feels confortable and has a lot of boilerplate problems solved.
Also I've used Audacity to modify some open licensed sounds taken from freesound.org and GraphicsGale for the pixel art.

Default controls (can be configured)

X
 Jump
C
 Shoot
Arrows
 Aim and move
Shift+M
 Change screen mode

Any feedback is well appreciated, although take into account that it's a prototype and nothing here is final.
Hope you like it. Cheers!  Beer!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:03:23 AM by nitram_cero (2bam) » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »

I like the game style simple touch with nice vibrant color. Damn this game looks even more baddass if you can combine weapons.
richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »

Fun sound design, ambi track is way creepy

- Richard E Flanagan  FRACT OSC  fulcrum
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »

Thanks for trying it!

Originally it was meant to have combined weapons but didn't make it in time for the compo.
I also wanted to add some random screams here and there to give an even creepier ambient Smiley

Today I'm working on some new tiles for the map.

Working on HeliBrawl
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »

Would be nice if the enemies had some depth.  Right now they're just mindless cannon fodder to spread pixelated guts everywhere.

The real danger is those moving crushers. D:
PeteDevlin
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »

I had a good five minute play through and it's a nice engine and a has some fun. Loved seeing an enemy get crushes by one of those crushers.

As the post above stated, the enemies are just cannon fodder so I'd personally remake this one area but with smarter enemies before moving on, just to see if it develops the ideas.

Good stuff though,

Dev
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »

Looks great and I love the way the gore drips down everywhere.  I found the platforming to feel fiddly rather than fun, though - a lot of the challenge comes from just how cramped the level design generally is and the enemies, while interesting-looking, never present much of a threat.  I think with some rebalancing this could be really great though - I would suggest you make it more combat focussed and tone down the piston-dodging platforming that we've all done before in a hundred other games.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »

Thanks for the feedback  Smiley

I agree, the enemies are drones. I was behind schedule for the competition and left them too simple. Now with more time I'll try to make them better.

Working on HeliBrawl
Kian
Level 0

Unplugged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »

That's was fun! Good ol gunner, i like the depth of the gun sound. The rocket boosted needles killed me and i actually said, what in the fuck is that!.  Crazy

Wasn't too keen about shooting up when enemies were in close proximity because of the size of the walkways, but that might just me and my keyboard fingers.

Will play your updates  Beer!

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »

Ok, I've been working on this game. I'm making it more of a metroidvania with some updates, and also a weapon customization menu (for which I've been given help and opinions about design on this and another forum).

Bottom line, the current menu implementation is shit. Too hard and awkward to use but helped me (and some testers) figure out the caveats.

The current menu (obsolete) is something like this:

And here are some combinations working:

Working on HeliBrawl
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »

Don't really like the line, seems outta place...

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:16:38 AM »

The aesthetics are temporary, just for testing mechanics.

Working on HeliBrawl
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »

oh god, metroidvania AND metal slug! this sounds awesome
siskavard
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »

This looks fucking awesome
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 07:50:57 AM »

This looks awesome fucking

Yeah.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »

I felt like the audio adds a lot to this. If it had typical "catchy" BGM, it'd be cartoonish, almost comical, like one of those exaggerated 90s shareware games about action heroes. With all the metallic screeches and alien noises, it has a kind of disturbing atmosphere.

Oh, and the spikes are bullshit.
jiitype
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 12:38:18 AM »

Dammit couldn't escape all those crushers and spikes. Really cool game you got there Noir
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

Thanks man, I'm working hard to make it better  Smiley

Ok so, I've been working on the map generator among other stuff (taking a different approach).

I explain it better here http://2bam.com/2013/02/14/cjr-map-generation-is-moving-forward/

But TL;DR you can try a test that fills some empty space with rooms that works better than I expected:

Link to the test

Working on HeliBrawl
arseniy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 05:59:42 AM »

But those colors are so unpleasant and acid

My game Orbox B: Rebirth. Puzzle-logic with sci-fi story
Lot of mechanics and levels. Google play, iOS, PC, Mac, find links in press kit here:
https://progamix.com/en/PressKit/14/orbox-b-rebirth
antipirina
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »

If I were you, I'd put the Van Damme footage from time to time with those acid colors.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic