Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:54:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFRACT OSC
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: FRACT OSC  (Read 10165 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »

This is looking (and sounding) so beautiful!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:15:23 PM by Manuel Magalhães » Logged

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »

From today's #ScreenshotSaturday:

- Richard E Flanagan  FRACT OSC  fulcrum
richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »

TREES AND TANGLES
Today I've got some fixing/tidying on my plate. As I'm sure many of you are aware, it can be a bit of a stumble when you come back to something you haven't worked on in a while. Today is a fine example of that, here is a 'patch' controlling one of the more complicated (at least behind the scenes) puzzles in the game.

It works not unlike a hybrid of a visual editing tool for logic/scripting AND a modular synth, as logic and signal-path are often one and the same in the world of FRACT OSC (kinda nuts huh?). Anyway, it took a while to re-wrap my head around this thing (despite the fact that it's one of the better organized patches in the game).

Also, here are some 'trees':

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »

are you planning on making an osx port for this? if so i would love to get this. will be watching closely.  Shocked

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »

Yup! We're developing simultaneously for Windows & Mac. We'd like to upgrade to Unity 4.0 so we can do Linux too, but the budget is a little tight right now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:36:51 AM by richardeflanagan » Logged

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »

sweet! thats gonna be really cool to try out, how much you trying to sell it for?
when it comes out i mean

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »

That's a tough one, not sure at this stage. Once we know for sure we'll be sure to broadcast it!

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »

I/O PORTS
Working on some assets today that have been in prototype mode for way too long. Initial testing really brought some legibility problems to the forefront (we were expecting them), and today I'm going to try to address them.

It's interesting just how varied some of the conventions for communicating inputs and outputs can be, even within a specific field (in this case I'm drawing some inspiration from audio gear).

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »

FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT, DRAW CALLS BE DAMNED PT II
More exciting optimization today (actually, it is kind of exciting, or at least satisfying). Henk's "blame prefabs for renderers" script is turning out useful as I tackle the some of the worst offenders in the game.

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »

GHOST RADIO
Working on some reactive sound design elements today (sample-less dynamic synths that interact with the player) and I continue to be amazed by our sound engine. I was setting up a series of these synths, and a typo on one delivered some lovely results.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »

MOVING EARTH
Today I'm refining some massive architecture in the world of FRACT OSC. I'm not sure my workflow is conventional, or even remotely ideal, but by building spaces through varying degrees of parametric control it allows for some flexible (if very inefficient) creations. I won't spoil just what/where this is just yet, perhaps we need to put together some new trailers for you guys?

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »

OPTIMIZATION, THIS TIME WITH RESULTS!
So, today I'm trucking along on some more optimization tasks. Not entirely sexy, but I seem to have crossed some magical boundary of drawcalls that has made the game quite playable in the editor. This magical number is still too embarrassingly high for me to share publicly (it's an open-world game, so cut us some slack, right?) but I'm feeling much better about getting FRACT OSC playable on a wider variety of systems. As far as I understand it (which is limited, that's what Henk's for), OpenGL based systems will require slightly different approaches, but we'll cross that bridge eventually. Either way, it's nice to feel progress!

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »

This went up on the site yesterday, but it might be worth reiterating here Smiley

Two presentations by the FRACT team at the GDC this year!

A little late on this annoucement as our year-end was crazy busy, but we're super proud/excited/slightly nervous about the fact that we'll be presenting some talks at the Games Developer's Conference this year!

Achieving Real-time Synthesis in the Musical World of FRACT

Henk's going to be going into detail about how we're doing our synth-magic behind the scenes:

FRACT is a first-person, puzzle adventure game set in a world inspired by electronic music, and the winner of an IGF Award in 2011. The newest iteration, FRACT OSC, is inspired by synthesizers, and allows players to shape sound and compose music within the game. This talk will discuss the approach taken in implementing a dynamic, user-controlled audio system. It will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using real-time synthesis alongside samples, the challenges encountered while using Pure Data, and the key decisions that were made when a custom sound engine was created for the game.

Taking the Leap from Student to Studio: The Story About Making FRACT

I'm going to be presenting Quynh's and my story of just how we 'decided' to throw caution to wind and make FRACT:

Winning the IGF for Best Student Game was a dream come true - but then what? This talk details the ups and downs, circuitous paths, and the lessons learned along the way while developing the student game FRACT into a commercial release. Learning on the job is challenging enough, and the talk shares what happens when life throws something unexpected your way. It discusses the reality of taking risks, running an indie studio out of your home with a pregnant wife as your producer, and putting out your first game in the midst of juggling big decisions, deadlines, and diapers.

Hope to see you there!

- Richard, Quynh & Henk

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »

Voices, polyphony and wires aplenty
Today I’m working on some pattern sequencer stuff (the sequencers that sequence the sequences – wow, that is not any clearer). We have three primary synths in the game; Lead, Bass and Pad. The Lead and Bass synths are monophonic (1 voice/note played at a time) and the Pad is polyphonic (currently set around 4-5 voice/notes at a time). The pattern sequencers I’m toying with today are the for the Pad synths, thus they’ll be juggling a bunch of voices.

What's tricky about the pads (and kind of cool, it was Henk's idea) is that the Pad sequencers will progressively steal voices as the patterns ask for new notes. This behaviour is a bit like the classic Yamaha CS poly synths (CS-50, CS-80 etc), and with a bit of modulation trickery, we _could_ treat each voice like an individual (and slightly different) oscillator. *Long story short, it should SOUND REEL GUD*. I've posted this sample before, but it illustrates this nicely:

Our current voice budget is 10 realtime voices spread accross the various synths - which in software like Live, Reason, Cubase etc is peanuts (especially when you consider that our synths are agruably 'lower' quality).  But they aren't rendering a 3D world with things like physics, laser-beams and fun-emulators. With 6-7 musical voices being used up, it would be fair to ask what the rest are for, and while I'll save the nitty-gritty for another post, we do a lot of the sound effects (especially the reactive/interactive ones) with synth voices.

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »

CURATING THE STUDIO SYNTHS
So, after much thought and some good feedback, we're moving towards a set set of curated FRACT Synths in the studio. These synths connect more appropriately the world & narrative and are easier to use. The synths have a curated set of controls, but offer a wide variety of sound with little intimidation (the Wall of Knob fear). We drew inspiration from tools like Propellerhead's Figure, which impart tons of user expression, freedom, and playfulness with a few well thought out controls.

Don't worry though Synthheads, for those that still want the Wall Of Knobs - that's still totally an option and just a few clicks away. And trust me when I say the control is quite comprehensive (multiple envelopes, envelope polarity, multiple filters, vibrato, LFO, sub oscillators, variable wave shapes and more!)

mrfunkyland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

This looks like it's gonna kick so much ass. I love that you guys are using Pd to work it out.

richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »

Thanks! The pd magic is all Henk. I just wave my hands around mumbling 'Make it more analog"

mrfunkyland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »

I've been doing some protyping in Pd. Can I ask, how are you guys incorporating the Pd code into the final product? Will you have a version of Pd running alongside the actual game (communicating via OSC I presume based on the title)? I'm moving forward on a project and am on the verge of figuring out how to do just that. I'm contemplating just porting it over into an audio library, God help me.

henkboom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »

I've been doing some protyping in Pd. Can I ask, how are you guys incorporating the Pd code into the final product? Will you have a version of Pd running alongside the actual game (communicating via OSC I presume based on the title)?

Actually puredata is built-in to the game, no separate program required Smiley We're using a library called libpd which lets you incorporate puredata directly into a c program, and packaging that up into a DLL which we can load as a Unity plugin. OSC in our title refers to oscillators, not the OSC protocol :p

I'd love to write more about it (and plan to) when I've got a bit of time, but that time is not now >_< I can say that for prototyping purposes using OSC network messages and a separate puredata is the much simpler way to start. That way you don't as much have to worry about low-level multithreading and stuff.
mrfunkyland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »

Actually puredata is built-in to the game, no separate program required Smiley We're using a library called libpd which lets you incorporate puredata directly into a c program, and packaging that up into a DLL which we can load as a Unity plugin. OSC in our title refers to oscillators, not the OSC protocol :p

I'd love to write more about it (and plan to) when I've got a bit of time, but that time is not now >_< I can say that for prototyping purposes using OSC network messages and a separate puredata is the much simpler way to start. That way you don't as much have to worry about low-level multithreading and stuff.

I see. Libpd has crossed my radar before, glad to see it works well in practice.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic