Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:48:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGentlemen! (was Martin vs Monty)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Gentlemen! (was Martin vs Monty)  (Read 11044 times)
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »

A two player, single screen, high speed, 19th century duel to the death.

demo versions of the Windows / Mac versions up now!
windows download!
mac download!

the full version contains 9 new levels, a bunch of new modes, 2-4 players local multiplayer.

announcement trailer:

About

We have been working on polishing up and tuning one of our old LD games into a more balanced, more fun, and crazier two player game. It will be launching first on iOS, and then possibly on win/mac/linux as well. Depending on interest I could post the pc builds here for people to try out. It is a bit rough around the edges right now, but totally playable.

There is currently one game mode, where you need to grab 5 keys and then get to your exit. Getting killed causes you to drop keys. Winning a full game requires winning a few matches in a row, it plays out over the course of 5 levels, in a tug of war style thing. In between each level is a rpg type thing where the loser of the last match gets to tweak settings on either themselves or the other player.

Trying out something new on this dev log, after the spectacular failure of the last one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:20:17 AM by jonbro » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »

Looks intriguing. I love the art style.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:49:50 AM »

Made some graphical progress on the second level (there are 3 levels), and on the rpg upgrade / drafting screen that happens between the matches. I am sure that we have done a ton on the game design as well, but that doesn't show in screenshots.

Also, I may be just totally terrible at keeping a devlog.

I should also mention that if anyone wants a playable build (win / mac / linux[I think... unity supports this right?]), I can get you one. You just need one or two gamepads, and a friend to play with. Post in here, and I will link you up.

Gotta figure out how to deal with that aliasing! :D

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »

the levels are getting closer and closer to the final state... here are some videos:
https://vine.co/v/bdIJHpT360u
https://vine.co/v/bdIJB0JAQih

still need to get more audio in, smooth out all the menus and stuff.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:21:41 AM »

Update 3
This week has been polishing menus and the like. I have also put back in some automated turrets in the deathmatch mode. They were something that I had in testing just to make it more interesting as a single player, but it turns out it helps out multiplayer as well. Hopefully we will be showing this off to some people this week and getting feedback. Important because I keep neglecting to post testflight builds of it.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:17 AM »

Update 4

What am I doing wrong here??? no one seems to want to respond. Do the graphics suck? Am I a shitty community member? What is reality? Maybe I should just post on my twitter because that is where my friends are? Or is it the fact that this is a two player game and no one has a friend nearby? Maybe it is because I haven't been posting playables?

-----

Based on feedback from GDC, I have taken out the tug of war, now it is just first to three matches wins the game. Also added trails to the avatars so they are easier to see.

Also, based on my own feelings, I have added 3 more weapons. The graphics are hella shitty placeholders for now. I am at the point where I can no longer evaluate this game on its own merits, because of the competitive aspects of play. So much of the emotional response to the game has to do with the player that I am playing with, so I am adding things to make that experience better, but I fear that might be a response to a relationship that no one else is going to have. This is probably something that happens with testing one player games as well, but I just never notice it.

Windows Download
OSX Download

Controls
player 1: arrows and z + x (or xbox controllers)
player 2: xbox controller (mapping probably wonky on windows... If anyone has suggestions, let me know)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:49:09 AM by jonbro » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:02:26 AM »

Update 4

What am I doing wrong here??? no one seems to want to respond. Do the graphics suck? Am I a shitty community member? What is reality? Maybe I should just post on my twitter because that is where my friends are? Or is it the fact that this is a two player game and no one has a friend nearby? Maybe it is because I haven't been posting playables?

I wish I could tell you. Personally, I think it's looking great. The music, visuals and gameplay mesh perfectly to give the whole thing a really lovely atmosphere. I'm afraid I don't have a friend available to help me test the gameplay (*sniff*) but the concept seems cool.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:30:35 AM »

I'm afraid I don't have a friend available to help me test the gameplay (*sniff*) but the concept seems cool.

This is a statement that I am expecting to hear a bunch of.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:49:27 AM »

Update 5

So many gameplay changes! trying to add more randomness, shortened cooldown on weapons, but tightened up kill radius. Added a button to swap weapons. Also now each player has to grab the scarab in turn, so hopefully it facilitates a sort of offense / defense switching thing.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:45 AM »

I'm afraid I don't have a friend available to help me test the gameplay (*sniff*) but the concept seems cool.

This is a statement that I am expecting to hear a bunch of.
and you will Sad

Anyway when looking at the screenshots I was a little afraid it would be kinda slow and unresponsive but the video looks really good, I'll try to play it with someone during the weekend

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:20:10 AM »

what is it about the screenshots that makes it seem slow? is there something that we could do to it to spiff it up? Also, will try to post a new build today or tonight, a bunch of things have changed since the last build I posted.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:29:31 AM »

nothing really, I just assumed it's hard to make a fast 2-players-on-one-screen platformer for iPad

ok, I'll wait for the new build then Smiley

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:16:25 AM »

update 6

Some builds to play. Should work with 2 xbox controllers (please let me know if it doesn't), or 1 xbox controller, and one player on keyboard. I give no guarantees about the death match mode working, but the other mode should work fine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43672/mvmOsx6.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43672/mvmWindows6.zip

Added a cool slowmo death thing, so the player deaths are easier to track. Made a pile of changes to the win numbers and such. This is very much an in progress build, but far more fun than ones we have posted previously. The players are also bigger. took out some colliders on the second level.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:49:36 AM by jonbro » Logged

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »

Update 7

Showed off the prior build at a local game dev event, and got good feedback on it. Basically we were not communicating the goals in the modes well enough. Also I added a new mode where you could chase the other player, and also a deathmatch mode (since that was all people seemed to want to play anyways).

Then I showed that build at bit of alright / wild rumpus, and got a bunch of feedback there. Reworking the UI for the billionth time, now am putting the kill counter / diamond counter around the players, where you can see it easier, but it doesn't clutter up the screen as much. Also still need to communicate the goals of each mode better. Thinking about just putting titles in at the beginning of the level.

Also added a new weapon that works great (a homing knife), and another one that doesn't work great (a swinging mace thing). Sean is reworking and simplifying level graphics.

I got networking kinda working, but then I realized that I will need to rework all of the weapons and it started feeling like way way way too much work. It was cool playing between ipad and osx though :d.

I think next week will be do or die on sending out testflights, it has been too long!

Maybe I should update this log more often, these posts are too epic, and I am forgetting way to much about them.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:44 AM »

update 8
Trying out some new title screens and kill ui stuff. These are just mock ups, haven't put them in game yet.

Also, new audio, and more work on cleaning up level graphics. Had some other things to take care of yesterday (and the day before, and I guess the weekend too), so haven't made too much tonnage of progress.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 01:49:07 AM »

update 9

Time marches on.

Reworked the bomb graphic, the old one looked a bit too unity particle presetty, I now have something that fits a bit more into the cartoon graphic style of the world. Still not sure about that smoke graphic, might need to come up with something better.

trying to come up with a newer / better graphic for the switch weapon thing.

sean had an interesting idea that it could spin around, and you get the weapon that is on your side when you press it. Am going to give that a try.

Added an icon for the homing missile (it is a pigeon). Put in the ink splashes from last updates mockup. Added a diamond that flies out of the character when you drop one. Yann is working on more audio stuff, and sean is reworking level graphics. The game grinds forward!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:57:22 AM by jonbro » Logged

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »

update 10
I was on a whirlwind tour of scotland this week, but while I have been gone, sean redid all of the ui graphics in a more unified way. Next week I am going to be implementing them in game, and hopefully send out some testflight builds. There are still some bugs to track down, but I think we are approaching release with this one.

Also, thinking of a final name now, which changes the story line (but it is a death match game, so WHOO CARES!) new name is PANIC! 1857. Not fully settled on that one, but feeling pretty good about it.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:35 AM »

arrgh, screenshotting out of illustrrator makes things look like crap doesn't it. Rest assured, the text isn't that wobbly in the real thing.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »

update 11
SOO MUCH (Again)

- the game is only a single round, rather than best of 3 / 5
- there is a score counter that track how many rounds you have won
- redid the pause button
- redid the pause screen, home screen, win screen and options screen (still need to redo the credits and help screens)
- add the antispam for the homing pigeon
- the homing pigeon now ignores walls, moves slower, and turns faster. Can be killed by the other weapons in the game. Also has new nice graphics.
- reworked the weapon change button (tells you the upcoming weapon, rotates so there is a minigame happening, new graphics)
- took out the jumping particle effects
- add in the new touch controller ui
- sfx muting should work
- music muting should work
- put in special effects in some of the levels (smoke and glows)
- characters spawn at the correct doors
- dynamite instead of bomb for the drop bomb
- added sounds to the buttons, drop bomb / dynamite and pigeon

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 02:44:44 AM »

Pigeon! Grin

I tried the two Windows builds with little success. Version 4 seemed to cut off the top and bottom of the screen (including both players and GUI bits) in most resolutions I chose. Was able to control the top player with the left stick of a wired 360 pad, but the other buttons didn't seem to do anything. In version 6, I wasn't able to get past the menu (build 4 let me drag the options off the screen with the mouse, this one didn't seem to respond to the mouse, keyboard, or controller).

Edit: I was able to use the default Unity control config to map buttons. On Windows, A is button 0, B is button 1. And here's a screenshot of version 4 in 640x480.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:50:43 AM by Noyb » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic