Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:24:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGentlemen! (was Martin vs Monty)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Gentlemen! (was Martin vs Monty)  (Read 11107 times)
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 03:00:27 AM »

ah yeah sorry about that! I think I fixed the screen scaling in the more recent builds of it, but they are really lagging far behind at this point. Might just pull them down soon, as I will be sending out iPad builds. Also thinking that this really needs a huge overhaul to work right on pc.

thanks for trying, now I feel like maybe it is just my lack of oversight on the builds that means no responses. Will try harder in the future.

here is a track from the new soundtrack that is now in.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:06 AM »

update 12

minor tweaks to the pigeon (doesn't go fast when everything else is slow mo)
moved change weapon buttons on level 2 / 3
made the pause button hit area smaller
removed some strange vestigal bits of old hud

About to send out a testflight release. The first one of this project. Might spend a bit of time tweaking the thing so that people (nyob) can play on pc a bit easier. Shouldn't be impossible.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »

Cheesyplayable builds for win / mac / linux / web Cheesy

windows
mac
linux

web player (40 mb, will take a sec to load)

tested on mac and pc with 2 xbox controllers (thanks for the report nyob, kicked my butt into actually fixing the pad mapping).
left / right / a (flip) / b (weapon) / y (weapon swap)
keyboard also works:
p1: a/d/z/x
p2: left/right/,/.
shared: space bar for weapon swap.

hope this works for someone, curious for feedback

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:12 AM »

update 13

added info screen
added help screen
added transition between main menu and game

are these gifs too out of controL???

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »

update 14

did an android build. you can install it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43672/mvmAndroid0.2.apk

fair warning though: should be played on tablets, and I only have a really shitty old android phone, so I only know that it runs poorly on that. If your tablet is ipad 2 equivelent though, it should run it.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 03:41:22 AM »

update 15

a bunch of fixes really... I could put them here, but who would give a fuck

I am going to be spending today, and some time this week trying to clean this up for a pc release. Adding controller configuration and the like to it.

Also, I am curious why I didn't get more posts on this dev log. Are my screenshots too boring? Do I not participate in the forum enough? is the core concept of the game something that doesn't overlap with the interests here? All of the above?

The rest of the posts on this dev log will probably just be more of the above second guessing. Is there any value to me keeping these devlogs if no one responds to them?

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 05:09:55 AM »

Is this a teaser site? yes it is.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »

update 16
Added controller input for all of the top level menus, still need to get the pause screen in. Will be nice to play on your couch.
Probably some bug fixes?

Decided to make a real version for pc/ouya with 4:3 screen dimensions, so will need to rework all the levels to support that. Shouldn't be the biggest deal in the world, but it means that we don't get simultaneous releases on tablets and screens.

Also got it on ouya, but there were bugs where if both controllers were being used it would crash. Also it ran kinda slowly. So that is a bit off in terms of a release platform.

The iOS / Android build is steaming ahead though, the other guys were working on more marketing material for it.

If anyone wants a beta build, the new thing to do is drop me a pm, and I will send you a link to a place where you can grab the pc/android versions.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »

update 17
put in xml saving and loading of the controller configuration, but I am not yet happy with the way that it works. Am going to rewrite so it uses multiple controller maps that you can flip between and remap.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 05:01:52 AM »

announcement is live on edge online!!

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:42 AM »

this looks amazingly fun  Kiss for some reason the web version's not working for me, I'll d/l when I get a chance.

- maybe the other particle effects could also have hard edges to go along with the game's vector style?
- I think the doublesided buttons are cool but hard to read. what if you made one side blue and the other red?
- since you're going for a cartoony style, how about brightening the colors for this level? I almost clicked away because my first impression was 'colors are kinda drab, it's hard to appreciate the otherwise nice graphics, this game must be boring'
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:10:57 AM by Chis » Logged

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 07:52:06 AM »

thanks for the feedback! unfortunately it is way way way too late to change too much in the game for at least the android / iOS versions. we might be able to tweak some stuff for pc release and in later ios / android builds.

I agree with you on the particles, and it is really good to hear your feedback about the color choices. It is nice to hear why people clicked away from the thread.

I should probably pull all of the beta releases from the thread now that we are in actual release mode!

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »

update 18

Oh I guess the update too...

got a good start on the controller config screen
sean is whiteboxing levels for the pc version
added 3 player mode... Oh man, holy crap.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »

update 19

got the widescreen levels 1 and 3 working pretty well with 2-3 players
added support for 4 players, but haven't had the chance to test yet
sean is working on graphics for level 1 to replace the whiteboxing
redid the trails to no longer have dots where the player stops moving. I switched to the unity trail renderer for this, but I am not 100% certain that I love it. Better than it was though.
for some reason OUYA inputs started working. Not sure why, but I did overhaul the interface for inputs, so I probably fixed something by mistake.
Tracked down the bug on some android devices not supporting more than 2 touches. turns out it was a system wide gesture setting that was capturing the 3rd touch.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »

update 20

put the controller config on the main menu, redid it so that you can config just one input at a time rather than all 5.
the main menu is now adaptive to the screen resolution. Not sure if this is useful in the long run, but it was a quick fix for not having to redo all the layout on 4:3 ratio
did a quick double check to make sure 4 player is working, and it seems to.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »

update 20.1
Decided to stay a bit late at work and jam on the 4 player a bit more
the homing pigeons now go toward who ever is the nearest player
removed some old crufty doors that wern't being used except as a place to store arbitrary data
players 3 and 4 get assigned random weapons (before they were all getting the same weapons as player 2)
hopefully there will be some more people to test with tonight

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 02:14:58 AM »

did some 4 player testing last night, and it went really well, but exposed some issues.
- Tracking what is happening point wise in a 4 player game is really really difficult, especially now that I have cut out the slow mo on kills.
- There are way way way more particle effects on screen so it is harder to track. The bomb trails and pigeon feathers in particular seem problematic. Something to deal with later.
- weapon swapping needs to be a pickup to force movement, and reward movement through the levels
- I was using all the ipad hud stuff, but I think a proper pc hud is going to go a long way towards solving a bunch of the point communication issues
- there can probably be a longer respawn wait when you die, to punish you for dying
- the game can support longer matches... we probably played around 20 matches, each of which lasted between 1-3 minutes. I think a timed deathmatch mode might be nice?

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »

update 21

Sent the final build to apple. Those that know, know I did about a million tiny fixes today, but here are the ones that I actually remembered to write down.
x add a new pre play config screen that you can set the game type, turn on replay recording, etc
x add replay on / off to the pre play screen
x add "watch replay" to the victory screen
x add a back button to the preplay screen
x get rid of the relliance on doors to make the game work
x add letterboxing to the main menu
x add a button that gets you to the everyplay ui on the title screen
x text on the tutorials should match the number of diamonds / kills required to win
x chase mode kills not matching kill number
x lighting ragdoll always in same orientation

Also, everyplay is totally awesome, and we have been capturing a bunch of ingame footage. It will make it easy for people to record and comment on their replays, which is totally awesome.

I don't know if I should move this to "finished" now that we have the tablet version out of the way, or if it is something that should wait until the pc version comes out (currently needing new hud / ui / and adding a ton of new levels).

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »

update 22
well, I guess I am continuing to work on this.

today was tweaking the pc version, trying to get something ready in time for the fantastic arcade deadline.

- new hud
- weapon crate drops (the weapon pickup method for tablets doesn't work well on pc)

most of today was tweaking the android version into shape, and sending to samsung.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »

update 23

- added a bunch of new funny crates
- invincibility
- no weapons (until you get another crate)
- invisiblitiy
- crate party (30 weapon crates spawn)
- fire works (constantly dropping dynamite)
- bomb box (12 bombs insta spawn)
- added icons on the existing crates to show the weapon inside of them
- redid the game over screen for tv and greater than 2 players
- added analytics so I can get weapon kill/death heatmaps

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic