Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:04:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnding
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Ending  (Read 75756 times)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »

No wait button. Ever. Get used to it.

The level design is not implemented. Gather ingredients first, bake the cake second.

The problem with a double push is that there isn't enough frames to animate it. How are you going to show moving up to 3 tiles away from consecutive pushes in 2 frames? You can't. So I only allow one push. I discussed double pushing killing you elsewhere and the consensus was to drop the second push kill. It makes more sense, whilst being pushed into an object will of course kill you.

I think the bumper didn't kill because the bumper was processed first and then the pusher was processed - so on another occasion you might die. So that's a special case I should look out for - thanks for this.

In other news - I ADDED ALLIES!

Find the demo too hard? Well now there's a bunch of idiots in there that fight on your side. They'll run in there and get killed before you do. Sometimes they're lucky and smash through everything.

You can also castle with allies - just like a swapper. At times it's almost like you're throwing the dudes at the enemy because you're effectively giving them a free move - like a pusher.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »

I played the version without allies, the first one you posted here, and thing were easy to figure out.

Now, though, everything is just a mess. I don't know what's going on, and the game has become a lot less strategic - instead of calculating my moves, I just walk around mashing keys and see my allies destroy stuff - I think.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »

Little weird how Allies aren't pushed by the repulsor walls...

Ashkin
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »

I think it would be more balanced and interesting if you only had one or two allies, so it seemed more like a small party cooperating with each other to get through a dungeon rather than an all-out, complex war.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »

The level design is not implemented - it's going to be a series of connected squares with doors. Opening a door reveals the next room - what's in the room is determined by the moves you have just made. So picking up some dudes may be useful, but you'll spend most of the time without.

I've updated the demo with some better logic:

Bumpers now move with you - pushing and moving with I could solve logically, but pushing away without travelling caused a whole slew of different reactions depending on the order. This way is simpler - and gives you an odd kind of deadly crate.

Allies now move on your turn - this is what was happening before but all executed on the enemy turn - not intuitive. Swapping with an ally now denies them a turn.

Pushers now kill allies by steamrolling through them. Pushing the player requires some buffering - I'm not too keen on a mess of allies being pushed around with all the extra overhead required. They're meant to be super disposable.

I've reduced the allies in the demo room. It's still not meant to be indicative of an actual game - it's a mess - I'm just filling it with content to see what bugs come out.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:30 AM »

Okay - realised the buffering was just to keep the player position in focus. Allies now get pushed once, which is more consistent with your own behaviour.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »

Food clock in. 64 turns, 8 health per kill. Paced for the current demo. Open to revision.

There will be a numerical counter. I've yet to program it because it means coding a number-to-textures class.

*The counter will have to wait as I've figured out how to change the bumpers into a proper trap-enemy. Traps will have active sides that kill you if stand next to them, so the trick is to attack their inactive sides. If I add a wall property to these traps then we've got the same behaviour as the bumpers: pusher-traps.

I don't think I want many more enemies in the game as I have the basics covered.

I also want to put in a check-button, so you can check which squares will kill you if you step into them. I think it's an optional extra that will make showing the game to someone in a pub a lot easier.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:54:19 AM by st33d » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 04:41:56 AM »

Added traps. A trap is a still-standing enemy that attacks only on the sides it has prongs. These replace the bumpers - as bumpers are technically push-traps.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 07:50:47 AM »

Added Undo and Check-View.

You have one level of undo that costs one turn to use. Use spacebar to undo or use the on screen button. You cannot undo from death.

Check-View allows you to see what squares would be attacked - this is really just for demonstration purposes to explain the mechanics to people. But it's also nice to use now and then to review your tactics. Use Control/Shift/Command or the on screen button to toggle Check-View.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »

Seems neat , I like the graphic style ! I think that's what I'm drawing for my next game !
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »

Interesting idea, although it took me about twenty deaths just to figure out what the hell was going on.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »

Unless I have another idea for an enemy, then I should be working on level design next - which will mean the entry point will be less chaotic.

Note to self: push-traps are glitching when cancelling their attack on a pushed target.

Does anyone have any examples of games that destroy old areas you been through? I'd really like to have rooms eventually close off so that back-tracking is not an option, the game becoming effectively infinite (this also keeps cpu low - the game runs great on iOS and I'd like to keep it that way).

Also - if you have testflight and want to test could you msg me your email so I can include you. Anyone on Android would help me out if they could msg me as well and we can see if I can get an Android build working. Thanks.
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

Why is this so fun already?

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »

It's based on the work I did on Turnament which is based on Zaga 33 and Microgue. *Also I forgot that it's quite heavily based on Fay's Puzzles in Shiren the Wanderer.

I felt that the greatest moments in Turnament weren't the set pieces but the marathon battles. There was a purer game underneath that needed to be made. This incarnation is a new engine built from scratch and also sourcing from Mercury, Hyper Rogue and Auro (which hasn't been released yet but I've played a demo and found it's turn-based-shove/skill mechanics absorbing).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:10:03 PM by st33d » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:31 AM »

Decided to just switch on the generator flag on a push-turner to see what would happen. Don't even know how I'd illustrate a push-turner-generator or how you'd survive.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Added doors. Hitting a door opens another room. There's a maximum of two rooms for now, but I intend to keep a maximum of sorts as I quite like the fact that it's endless at the moment.

I need to program a nice fade transition for the new area coming in and the old one disappearing. After that I can start tinkering with some automata to generate rooms instead of the shotgun algorithm I'm currently using.
poe
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »

Doors are fucking sweet! I love the way you feel like you're breaking into the next room!
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:14 AM »

Note to self: Fix timer on generators to take one extra turn to generate (every two turns means they're unapproachable in corridors).
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »

Fixed a lot of graphical glitches caused by the shadow effect (it also took a lot of debugging to realise the shadow effect was causing it). Generators now take one extra turn to create something. Rooms fade in and out. Doors now have random starting positions.

I owe Jason Pickering for the last one. Certainly a lot more interesting to explore now.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »

Definitely feels a lot better with the rooms and doors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic