Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:50:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnding
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Ending  (Read 78860 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »

my god that feels way better with the random doors. couple things:

1. Whats the goal going to be. Get a certain distance, or is it merely going to be score based.

2. Please keep the respawn time as fast as possible. The fact that as soon as I die, I have immediately respawned, makes it very hard to actually stop myself from playing again. Roguelikes tend to have a long return to gameplay, because of all the character info and creation. this all flows really well. I will load this up to play a few lives, and end up going through 10-15 times, more then I planned.

3. With the Undo button are you recording the last moves or taking a snapshot of the map. might be nice to rewind the play almost. similar to prince of persia.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »

There's definitely a destination to reach - hence the title.

I think that the current respawn time with the Kurt Vonnegut quote I like just the way it is. There will be a settings button for menu stuff.

Undo is a snapshot of the map. There could be a smarter way that would let me take a full recording, but I'll save that till after it's ported.
coupon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:54 AM »

well this is exciting.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:20 AM »

COUP COUP COUP!
coupon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »

Thanks for leading me here st33d, this place is great.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »

The food clock now rolls numbers. I'll probably put an option in settings to turn it off - but for new players it will illustrate things like undo and gaining food for kills without stopping for a tutorial.

Probably going to do a little more polish on the back end (like setting up the graphics to use a sprite-sheet so it can be ported easier) and see what the London Indies say before starting on the room generator proper.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

Bombs.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »

Holy-balls is removing the RNG bloody difficult.

I decided to take it one feature at a time. The doors work well - they now shift out of place based on your movement turned 90 degrees. What this does is that if you always take the door on the left - it will move further away from you in an odd manner.

Monster recipes I'm struggling with but leaning towards starting with turners and traps - with killing a monster meaning meeting a deadlier monster in the next room. Killing many monsters creating more monsters - I think that blends well with the food clock, though probably too much hilarity from generators (will require playtesting for new rules - just realised this would turn allies into assholes in a totally evil way).

The starting positions of everything I'm still stuck on. Maybe shuffle them from an ideal room. Maybe base them on famous irrational math patterns. Don't know. That's why I've got nothing to upload still. Will focus on enemy code first.

By the way: press P for a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:57:02 AM by st33d » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »

I thought (because I'd been playing Little Alchemy recently):

What if generators could create generators? Like a virus.

Wall viruses I think are the ultimate opponent.

(fucking hell - I didn't even think to try out bomb-viruses  Shocked)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »

Current build has a more random set of content - very unbalanced at the moment.

However it now has a built in editor you can activate with the on screen button bottom right.

The palette will let you experiment with all the different property combinations: pusher-trap-generators, bomb-swap-walls, all combinations of trap, etc.

*Updated the palette to block painting illegal values, palette items can be dragged over to activate a bunch of properties with a swipe and the generator/turner swatch can be held down to change the direction/timer. Going to work on scrolling and saving next - I plan to have a puzzle mode.

**drag scrolling in - you can check out the level without moving the player now
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:28:15 AM by st33d » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:08 AM »

Still working on the menu. I need to get saving packs of levels in. Ideally I'd like the iOS version to be able to email packs so I can make levels sitting on the bus.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »

Just managed to get the app enable file-sharing in iTunes!!  Hand Shake Left Epileptic Hand Shake Right

This means I can design levels on my phone. My fucking phone!

Looks like iTunes allows you to add to the shared folder as well so it's perfectly reasonable to assume that people could design and share level packs.

The browser version I'm setting up to enable saving and loading as well - though it will be a bit cumbersome due to the security hoops to jump through.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »

Need to add some more tools to make designing packs of levels easier - but I've already made the first puzzle level on my iPhone.

I've yet to add the extra tools for browser players to save to desktop but it's perfectly possible. I'll be cranking out some orientation levels first though for London Indies on Monday. Expect a batch of puzzle levels to play next week.
poe
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »

How much will this cost on iOS?
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »

69p till the first update I think. (or get your ass on my testflight team for some codes)

LEVELS!!

I've sketched out 19 so far - watch out for difficulty spikes, I've yet to do all of the levels.

LEVEL EDITOR!!

Don't forget to save your work in the level painter settings before you exit editing a level.

If you hold down on a level button in editor mode you can drag the button - drop it on X to delete it, an arrow button to push it on to the next page and drop on to another level to bring up commands to copy over, swap, etc.

There are save and load buttons now in the browser version. This will save out your levels to desktop, and load em back in after a new session. The file format is JSON - human readable and editable.

All the tools are there to design a complete level pack. They're just shit tools. But don't worry, I have to put up with them as well. I had a good time making the levels on my iPad however. Fun bus journeys next week!
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »

This game is bonkers.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

The enemies and allies are currently collected by a top left to bottom right sweep of an area surrounding the player. This creates a problem with top left enemies acting first.

I'm guessing a player would assume that the closest acts first, so I'm going to have to jack the sweep for entities into the AI sweep.  Tired

Nearly at 40 levels. I made one drunk the other night that I couldn't solve in the morning (eventually found a solution). You're gonna love that bastard.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

Whups.

Haven't updated the online version in a while. I've recently been busy with Bump! my 7DRL entry.

New version has some tweaks and fixes as well as 20 more levels (there's a gap where the unordered ones I'm still sketching out are).

Still haven't figured out Adventure mode yet. I need to really exhaust all of the levels I can think of so that I build the Adventure mode as a master of the game.
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »

69p till the first update I think. (or get your ass on my testflight team for some codes)

Still needing some peeps for testing it? I'd be willing to test (or buy, or test and buy).

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

47 levels online now.

Adventure mode now has progression - non random. Layout is still random however - will work on this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic