Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:23:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEphemerid: A Musical Adventure (Steam and App Store)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ephemerid: A Musical Adventure (Steam and App Store)  (Read 6444 times)
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »

Out now on Steam!!!

Also on iPad
Ephemerid is finally finished!  The best way to describe the game is to simply ask you to try it yourself.  It is a unique thing:

Description

Ephemerid is a rock fairy about insects, bugs, and rock 'n roll. In Ephemerid, you will help a simple mayfly find its destiny through the power of music.

The gameplay, narrative, and music intertwine and build into a complete experience. Lean back, relax and enjoy it as a whole, as you would a favorite album.

Key Features

* Each setting introduces intuitive challenges which play in harmony with the music.

* Ephemerid's beating heart is its original soundtrack, skillful rock guitar with a classical flair.

* The world of Ephemerid is faithfully handcrafted out of cut paper, glass, and paint.

Love,
SuperChop Games
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:02:31 PM by superchop » Logged

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »

Here's a look at the newest scene we're working on.  This interaction represents the rhythm-tap mechanic (the most "gamey" of the three mechanics) in ephemerid.  Each flower is a tap-target that goes to the rhythm of the song.  If tapped on beat, the flowers bloom and the ephemerids bounce around creating interesting trails.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »

Since music plays such an important roll in Ephemerid, a custom system was written for handling audio in Unity.  It has been through several iterations, and I thought it would be helpful to share the current state of its implementation here.  If you're doing anything with either musical timing or looping in Unity, you may find some helpful information below.

Note: Ephemerid is being developed in Unity 3.5.X.  Most of the techniques below are still relevant in 4.X, but I will try to specify anywhere there have been changes/improvements in 4.X.

Audio Manager
Before doing anything else, if your project depends on music timing, then it's a good idea to set the "DSPBuffer Size".  In Unity, go to Edit->Project Settings->Audio, and change DPSBuffer Size to "Best Latency"

With this set, Unity will choose the smallest appropriate DSP buffer size depending on the build target.  This means that the actual chunks of audio sent to the DSP will be smaller, and you will get more fine-grained feedback from audioSource.time

Music Timing and Tweening
The tweening system in Ephemerid was written from the start with the intention of being driven by music.  When a Tween is created, it looks for a default "Stepper" class, and adds itself to it.  The Stepper class provides timings to its tweens.  In almost all Ephemerid scenes the concrete Stepper class is a MusicStepper.

MusicStepper
MusicStepper is a fairly simple class that acts as a director of all audio tracks (handled by AudioPlayer described below) in the scene.  These are the key jobs of MusicStepper:
  • If audio is playing, it uses that timing
  • When a track completes, it progresses to the next track
  • If there is no audio playing, it calculates the timing based on a specified BPM and Unity's deltaTime

AudioPlayer
This is where it gets interesting.  AudioPlayer provides the delta times to a MusicStepper.  There are several ways to do rhythm timing in Unity:

Option 1.
Calculate the beats passed by using Unity's deltaTime and a specified BPM (which is converted to beatsPerSecond at creation)
   beatDelta = Time.deltaTime * beatsPerSecond

Option 2.
Monitor the current AudioSource's time, and calculate the delta beats based strictly on how it changes.  The "time" property of AudioSource is used to get audioTime and previousAudioTime. †
   beatDelta = (audioTime - previousAudioTime) * beatsPerSecond

Option 3.
A combination of 1 and 2.  Use 1 as long as it doesn't deviate too far from the audio timing.  When it deviates, account for the error.

Ephemerid uses method 3 in order to avoid things like timing differences from the particle system, but the method used should be chosen based on your specific project needs.

In the next update to this article, I'll go into further detail on how AudioPlayer handles looping and defining events at specific beats in a song.

† In Unity 4.X, you can get the actual DSP time from AudioSettings.dspTime.  While I haven't had a chance to experiment, this is probably better than AudioSource.time for calculating beats passed.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »

One of the newer scenes being worked on:

Here's it is in action:

The fireflies are animated with a combination of perlin noise and eased tweening, and use a custom trail renderer optimized for performance.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »

New screens of a scene from early in the game:

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »

Not sure why there are no comments on this. It looks lovely. If you still want people to test, I'll happily help out.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

Not sure why there are no comments on this. It looks lovely. If you still want people to test, I'll happily help out.

We're actually very close to making an official request for testers on this and a few other forums.  I'll let you know when it's up (hopefully within the next few days)

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »

Hello all, I'm happy to announce that we're starting our "open" beta phase.

We're using TestFlight, which is the defacto method for testing iOS games.  If you have an iPad 2 or newer (3/4/mini) and would like to try it out,

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.  Thanks!

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:01:39 AM »

Screenshot Saturday!  And here's the link again to join the Ephemerid open beta

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:07:15 AM by superchop » Logged

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »

From the Screenshot Saturday thread:
Our eponymous hero, caught in a spider web along with some bees and rhino beetles.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »

awww this looks so nice. following!

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 07:22:42 AM »

Rock on, James Smiley

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 06:28:15 AM »

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I've been doing contract work to pay the bills, but will be getting back to Ephemerid for the final push soon.

Until then, Ephemerid has a new trailer! Now you can see, for the first time, an actual human interacting with the game:

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 06:48:39 AM »

Hi All,

I finished up my contract job, so now I can go back to Ephemerid full time and pay my bills.  Here's a screen shot to celebrate.  The title scene of Ephemerid, showing the only text that appears in the game (though we may do credits when the game is complete).

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »

Exciting news!  We can finally share that Ephemerid is an IndieCade 2013 finalist, among a lot of really amazing games.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:35:06 AM by superchop » Logged

Eezo
Level 0

The big yellow one is the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »

Congrats on the IndieCade selection!  Just stumbled across this dev log, and think the game looks amazing. I love the cut-out look. Best of luck at IndieCade!

Foolish Aggro Games
http://foolishaggro.com
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »

Congrats on the IndieCade selection!  Just stumbled across this dev log, and think the game looks amazing. I love the cut-out look. Best of luck at IndieCade!

Thanks Eezo!  Sorry for the incredibly late reply, I've been off the radar for a while finishing up the game.  It's so close to finished I can taste it!  It tastes like paper and rock 'n roll.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »

So... I've been bad about posting here as Ephemerid development continued.  I promise you it's only because I've been working literally 100 hour weeks on the game for the past several months.  But now it's finally complete and released on the app store!

Out now on iPad!
The best way to describe the game is to simply ask you to try it yourself.  It is a unique thing:
Get it here.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

Two big pieces of news for Ephemerid

Sale: 75% Off On The App Store
Only $0.99 for a limited time:

Steam Greenlight
If you'd like to play Ephemerid but don't have an iPad, you can vote for it on Steam Greenlight here:

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »

Ephemerid has been featured on The Greenlight! Jared Rosen and Jesse Cox are very entertaining.  See it here:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic