Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:35:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI only play the games that're really hard to find...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: I only play the games that're really hard to find...  (Read 14738 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »

'Cause I'm indie as fuck

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »

GET WITH THE TIMES... FRIEND...

Gentleman
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 01:57:18 PM »

You're not really indie until you've made an MP3 of this and listen to it at least two times on loop every hour.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:02:27 PM »

There's an MP3 download in the comments.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »

Not funny. I like the first one better.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks PIGScene in general isn't funny and Arthur Lee is being a big baby?  His game has been made into the butt of a joke which spawned a terrible meme, then there's this rather nebulous feud with Derek, and now Arthur's all butthurt.  The whole PIGScene thing just screams "Cry WHAAAAA those stupid indie assholes don't like me I'm gonna get them back Angry" to me.

I don't know... I used to chat with Arthur every once in a while on his old forum back when I used MMF and he seemed like an okay guy, but since then it's just... well, I don't know.  The whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

Or maybe I just don't get it.  It wouldn't be the first time I was the last person in the room to get a joke.  I don't really get JForce either, so Undecided

tweet tweet @j_younger
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »

At the beginning I could understand him because of the cruel meme against his game. But now I'm starting to think that he's just like one of these trolls/attention whores who like to stir as much controversy as possible to get some attention. the fact that his game was made fun of was just a cioncidence.
The best answer we could make would be to not pay any attention to him and avoid making publicity for his website.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:35:20 PM »

Trolling I can understand.  And yeah, Arthur pretty much is an attention whore who never passes up an opportunity for self-promotion.

But trolling and attention whoring isn't really my point.  It's that he's going about it wrong, and for the wrong reasons.  The idea that TIGS is a haven for pretentious indie fucktards is just silly.  I don't really see any pretentious people here (well, not ones who actually make games anyway).  Most everyone is pretty laid back, and the "pretentious indie gamer" stereotype is just as much a joke here.  It's like taking the "I'm so indie" thread seriously... if you really think anyone is actually going around telling themselves "I'm so indie" then I don't know what to say.

I mean, it would be funny if it were true.  But it's not.  The idea is all in Arthur's head.  PIGScene is a swing and a miss.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »

I was never aware that TIGS was the source of all the "Cave Story ripoff" talk, and I think it was a valid point in any case. You couldn't look at the early production thoughts and not think of Cave Story. He's facelifted everything and given the game it's own look, which I like. I just wish he'd get over it and move on. Nobody's calling it a "Cave Story ripoff" anymore.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »

You know, this seems to me as more of an extension of The "Pretentious Indie Gamer" stereotype Joke than a swipe at the site. Is he really trolling? Or are we just looking at it that way?

Also, The Underside still looks like Cave Story. I'm sorry. It always will.

That said, it also still looks really awesome, with a lot of nice, new things and a wry sense of humour. Can't wait to play the thing.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:56:50 PM »

Man, Parappa was amazing. Perhaps my opinion on this is slightly biased because of this.

I don't really care what Arthur says, I'm just looking forward to The Underside. Say what you want about him, he's still making a great game.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »

You know, this seems to me as more of an extension of The "Pretentious Indie Gamer" stereotype Joke than a swipe at the site.

That's really not the vibe I get from it, but like I said maybe I just don't get it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Saker
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »

LOL .. and he is a bad rapper indeed ... also his game looks AWeSOME
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »

You know, this seems to me as more of an extension of The "Pretentious Indie Gamer" stereotype Joke than a swipe at the site. Is he really trolling? Or are we just looking at it that way?

LOL yeah, I was thinking maybe we're just making an ass of ourselves

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:54 PM »

The lyrics are pretty inventive.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 10:13:27 PM »

Don't you also think that exactly this "trolling" is just too silly to be ment seriously? Maybe he was annoyed because everyone said it is a Cave Story rip-off, or maybe he wasn't and was making fun from the very beginning, but now it just looks like an extended joke, as Gainsworthy suggested. It could even be seen as kind of a backlash: "You said it's just a Cave Story rip-off. So look at what I made out of it, it's not! But you are just some pretentious idiots! Or are you not?". Well, okay, interpretation probably shouldn't go too far Smiley

And anyway, I agree that The Underside just looks remarkably good. Watching the latest video of it I also thought that it should take off that CS-coat and be entirely original, but I also like how he went into the opposite direction and even added more allusions to it. I think it could be even more special as this kind of "totally original rip-off" Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »

Welp, according to the comments over there someone here gets it, and it's apparently not me so I guess I'll just drop it.

Awesome song, voted 5, great job, keep up the good work, etc.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Biggerfish
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 01:43:41 AM »

I think it's one of those things that is hit and miss among people.

I didn't take it seriously after reading a couple of sentences from the site (then again, I automatically don't take anything like that seriously in order to protect my fragile mind from the idea that people that deluded could exist). I can totally see how it's seen as trolling though.

Also this video is the first time I've seen The Underside, I really should try and get through all these really nice looking games that are up and coming. Hell, even the released ones that look really nice.
Corpus
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 03:37:54 AM »

I think it's marvellous.

Also...

THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic