Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:21:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnlamentia - first-person puzzle platform shooter
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Unlamentia - first-person puzzle platform shooter  (Read 6493 times)
Ant
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 11:58:51 PM »

Cheers chaps. Sorry I won't be doing a Linux release yet, just PC and Mac for now assuming I can get the Mac virtual machine running. There is a Ubuntu export module in GameMaker but it costs $100 which I don't really have right now, but it'd be nice to export to the three big OSs so I would definitely like to start doing Linux builds hopefully soon in the future.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »

I love the atmosphere of this and the colour scheme is gorgeous. It's literally and figuratively peachy!

Ant
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

cheers Panurge, most kind of you  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Didn't get a chance to update this log yesterday, not that I got much done. Spent all of yesterday and a bit this morning just trying to get GameMaker to work using a Mac virtual machine via VMware (initially I tried virtualbox but the Mac OS wouldn't install). After a lot of faffing I finally managed to get Steam working and connected but now I get a missing exe error message whenever I load GameMaker. Hopefully support will reply to my help topic soon and I can get it sorted as I suspect the promise of multiplatform is the only real shot I have of getting into the Humble Store.

• Added Room Underside: Pretty simple level, bit of platforming, some phasms to shoot, but the camera is inverted and sways with increasing vigour as the room is complete.
  • Animated the angel thing. Also tidied up the Runic room a bit which made me think perhaps instead of going mental with the island themes I could keep it more subtle and focus more on making each room itself feel more unique... hmm.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »

Add me to the playtesters list ! It would be a huge honor to playtest such an inspiring game !  Wink
youmightbecancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »

Antichamber-esque, would love to try this!

don\'t we all just die? http://surrealvitriol.tumblr.com/
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »

Love the colors here.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Ant
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 02:17:04 AM »

jolly kind of you all  Coffee

Whiteclaws, cheers for the offer but I got some pretty stonking feedback already which I'm going through so am okay in that regard
Ant
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »

• Finally got GameMaker to build Mac releases. Was a right ball ache and it still doesn't work on my virtual machine, but checked it on a chum's Mac and it works on his.
  • Added room Plummet: fall through a phasm maze.
  • Added room Extrude: must find path via blocks that extrude in certain directions.

Ant
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »

Doesn't feel like I've got much done lately. I prototyped about 4 actiony rooms, but I've begun to find it very hard to come up with fresh actiony ideas that don't feel heavily borrowed from an existing room. I also played around with some super-structure type architecture but GameMaker really doesn't like having lots of huge models on screen... bugger.

With that in mind I think I'll do a sweep of the existing rooms tweaking them in reaction to the splendid feedback I got recently. I need four more solid room ideas to bring the total to 72 and it would be nice to make them rock hard puzzles so as I'm working on the existing rooms I'll start jotting down possible ideas for those.

• Added room Glade: must make your way through a dense forest. Phasms ceaselessly chase but explode when line of sight is drawn.

Ant
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »

Did some tidying up of visual stuff that had needed doing for a while, but mostly worked on the existing rooms. Most rooms only need bits and bobs so hopefully won't take me long, though some still need more major stuff, but it feels pretty good working through knowing that increasing portions are now pretty much 100% done.

Also came up with a puzzle idea which I might have a crack at tomorrow. Basically it's one of those 'imitate a sequence' of flashing blocks but the blocks will be scattered around and understanding the pattern will require you to look at them from a very particular spot.

• Rooms pretty much 98% done count: 9

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:27:09 AM by caiys » Logged
Ant
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »

Since I was taking a relook at all the rooms I thought I might as well try some alternate textures for some platforms. I was a bit reluctant to use higher fidelity textures since the existing ones were quite pixelly, but looks okay. Might experiment more with them on specific special rooms or maybe each theme having their own textures, maybe more abstracty stuff.

Puzzle room idea: Blocks on runway. Shoot block to destroy it. Each shot the block moves one square towards you. Must make path before blocks push you off. Some special blocks, such as block that explodes, another that can only be destroyed by exploding block but maybe can be moved by shot.

• Rooms pretty much 98% done count: 22

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:27:23 AM by caiys » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic