Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:16:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Brainstorming Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Brainstorming Thread  (Read 7450 times)
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »

the red one is formed on the bottom of the box. i think there are no restrictions for imaginative portals Smiley just plausibility is a problem...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:49:12 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:57 AM »

the red one is formed on the bottom of the box. i think there are no restrictions for imaginative portals Smiley just plausibility is a problem...

If the portal were formed on the outside of the box, then the box would be pushed up by the stick, or the box would be smaller than the portal and fall through...

However, even if the portal were placed inside the box, both A and B cases are true.

Consider the following: Mexican Jumping Beans.
Within the closed rigid bean a larva thrusts itself.  This causes the bean to move.

Thus, if you thrust the stick into the portal and it came out the other side and hit the box, the force of the blow could move the box.  If the force were slowly applied until the stick touched the top of the box, then was increased beyond the strength of the box lid, the lid would break.

In a third case you throw the stick very hard into the box, it strikes the lid and both moves the box and breaks it.   Depending on how much force / speed is involved the box could remain stationary while the lid breaks, or hop.   Imaging firing a shotgun blast through the portal.  The pellets hit the box lid transferring their force to the lid, causing the box to move AND break.

You can perform the mexican jumping bean experiment by closing yourself in a trunk.  throw your weight around and movement will be seen from the outside of the trunk long before the lid is broken.

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »

portals connect everything. you cannot create them, but you can find doors, chests and other things with some kind of frame, that are portals and connect you to a counterpiece in another world. you carry a bag or a chest that you can enter (it is a portal to a specially built cave in some mountain, in another dimension or so). in your chest/cave you can collect other portals connecting you to other places/worlds/rooms.

Could you explain the proposed collection of them more? The way I picture it is collecting them on scrolls, which is kind of nice and reminds me of this short film:

But I want to make sure I understand your idea correctly.

I also really like the personal pocket dimension idea, it reminds me of the recent DLC to Dungeons of Dredmor, Conquest of the Wizardlands, where once you found wizard keys you could store all your stuff in a similar convention. Like a physical bank. Now that actually have physics and being a kind of world hub is mind-blowing.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 04:13:08 AM »

Some related media:
Howl's moving castle

this door is actually a portal. The colored wheel shows where the portal leads to, when you open the door.

In "Pirate Emperor - The  Wave Walkers Book 2" by Key Meyers (I listened to the German audiobook) there is a door in a whale's stomach. It works as a portal to a nice little house, where a man lives his lonely life.

In the game Terranigma (SNES) your inventory is a chest that you can enter. It is very big and has rooms for weapons, armor etc.

Of course there are much more examples...

In my vision of this setting these portals are just like normal objects, but with a spacy twist.

A crappy intro Smiley
You wander down the beach of Paprika Bay, in the distance you can spot some stranded goods. Although it seems to be nothing special, just some rotten planks, you decide to take a closer look. The people on this isle, your family, always need this kind of stuff as building material. After examining a mixed size set of very old drawers, you see a moldy door in its rusty iron frame.The door is covered with wet salty sand and makes scarcely audible creaky noises. Beside this it seems to be just a normal door.

With some effort you pull the door out of the soggy sand landwards to a palm tree. You lean the door against it and press down the sticky door handle and try to push the door out of this rusty frame. With a sudden ripping noise the door flings open and you accidently stumble through the door frame. In expectancy of the door instantly stopped by the palm tree hitting your head you throw up your left arm for protection and close your eyes. You fall through the door frame and hit the soft prickling cold ground surprisingly without even touching the door. The door must be wide open, how is this possible? Puzzled you open your eyes. Icy breezes rip through your shirt and shorts. It is dark and snowy hills illuminated by an abnormally shaped moon stare at you. This might be a starting point for an adventure...

Any container and frame fixed or movable could hold a portal to a completely foreign world. There would be door graveyards full of doors some broken, some locked and the lucky ones will even find some open leading to wonderful places. Movable portals would be rare but not too rare. Taverns would offer walls with metal rings where you can chain your door or chest to. Private collections of doors into astonishing worlds would be the topics of conversation in high society circles. The most fortunate collectors will own special cabinets with narrow slots, where you can insert many doors in a space-saving and secure way. Security is actually a big problem, monsters traveling between worlds attracted by the auras of the portals are the nightmare for any portal collector. Interdimensional bandits who steal portals and place them in extremely dangerous areas to kill the key owner and frantic xenophobes who destroy any portal they see provide additional tension....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:25:04 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »

Don't try and boil the ocean. Pick a few portal ideas you are really interested in, then try to make their co-existence plausible. No matter what you will have to answer a lot of questions. There won't be some "simple" way out for every case. Beyond that, even if you found a sub-par one you might become married to it. The important thing to focus on is the way in which portals are used in your game.

Give 3 examples of uses you definitely want to have, then pose the plausibility question again. Portal discussion is fun on its own but what I am suggesting is practical. By the time you've done what I've said you'll be half way to a solution already. You'll see.
Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »

How about an Oregon Trail themed game (if you ever played it. If you haven't, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)), where a player created expedition sets out on a path for a certain city to the north?

Instead of the expedition headed down an initially decided path, you would have the choice to head through detours, short-cuts, etc. The expedition will halt when either A: you have reached a point of interest (such as a town, settlement, camp, etc) or B: When the expedition encounters a problem (such as bandits, sickness, food shortage, etc). Each time the expedition stops, the player's perspective will switch to first person, where they will encounter the scene the expedition comes upon. For example, if the expedition were to stop because of a shortage of food, the player would switch to first person to go on a hunting trip. At some points, there will be interaction with NPCs where you might fight them, recruit them, or trade with them. The game would end if the expedition reaches the northern city, or when the people die.

If you were to go even further with the concept, you could add a multiplayer co-op, or some other crazy idea.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »

Don't people still make Oregon trail?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »

I saw a hunter game up here but this idea is a bit different. A bit of genre bending. Hotline miami meets space cowboy. The player plays as an under ground space worm and human space marines have established a colony on your planet. The goal is to go floor by floor and eliminate this threat on your planet. The levels are designed in a reverse pacman style with the player traveling through the floors and walls going room to room and emerging from the ground to eat your prey.  As the levels progress you will find more challenging rooms as the marines have tougher equipment to chew through and may leave you vulnerable to heavy fire. Like hotline, you can make noise in one room (by growling etc) and draw the attention so you can trap unsuspecting victims that stayed behind.

This game is really fast and death comes pretty easily so it relies heavily on skill and finding the right way to beat the level. Difficulty ramps up when the game introduces heavier marines, mechs, and radars.

I havent seen tremors but it looks to be the same idea playing as the worm.

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57:35 AM »

Do you see your worm game as a sidescroller or really like a reverse pacman game (top-down perspective). I would imagine that it would be cooler to see the game from the side (like in the most tremors games). But instead of breaking through earth you sneak through the floors of a space station from bottom to top...

I always like the idea of playing against humans. I once thought about a similar idea, where you play a carnivorous plant that grows in the sewers of a city.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:07:38 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »

Oh, Yes. Like a side scroller would be much better. Yeah definitely sneaky, much like the feel of the first Alien movie, in the hunt. Fear could probably play a factor in the game as well, a soldier can get terrified and begin to shoot wild.

Yeah, there is something I like about the Hunt, which is probably one of the main reasons I like stealth games but I also think an interesting challenge is when the hunter becomes the hunted. (Multiplayer for splinter cell) On that note another idea is to add, on harder levels, some trackers that are sent in specifically to hunt the space worm dead.

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »

A mobile game with tilt controls. You move the level instead of the character, but not necessarily like Locoroco.

Moving and jumping isn't really fun so... how would I make that fun?

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »

A mobile game with tilt controls. You move the level instead of the character, but not necessarily like Locoroco.

Moving and jumping isn't really fun so... how would I make that fun?

This sounds like what The Bridge and others do:

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »

From a puzzle standpoint that is interesting enough. But lets say for like a mobile game. Something you can play for a minute or two each run.

ink.inc
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »

A 2d dogfighting game in the aesthetic/world of Last Exile. You are a mechanic/pilot team, trying to eke out a living with your small airship, doing odd jobs, winning races, and even acting as a bodyguard/mercenary.

Your ship contains a multitude of interchangeable parts, and you can purchase new pieces with the money you get from missions. Managing your ship is like a very sensitive balancing act. Too much weight, and your acceleration/turning speed take a dangerous hit (as well as your fuel usage). Too little, and you get blasted out of the sky rather easily. Different missions require different parts (you don't want to take heavy plating on a race mission, but you might think otherwise when it comes to a dangerous transport mission). Every portion of your ship adds weight, and you'll often find yourself re-speccing parts to meet the maximum lift of your ship's engine. This is where your mechanic comes in. Installing new parts/doing small tweaks adds exp to your mechanic, which will then allow him to install better parts and further modify existing ones. Better mechanic, better ship efficiency.

ENERGY SOURCE - determines overall fuel reserves of the unit. is a source of weight. when this runs out, your ship starts to free fall.
ENGINE - draws from energy source. detemines how fast the unit can go, and how much weight the unit can carry. is a source of weight. drains energy.
GRAVITY WELL - determines turning speed.
BODY - what the pilot rides in. determines # of weapon slots, and engine class; also determines armor and is the biggest source of weight.
WEAPONS - various ways to kill enemies. drains either energy from fuel reserves or ammo stores.
SPECIAL - extraneous parts like radar, shielding, and so on.

The game would be controlled with the mouse and keyboard. Left clicking would cause the ship's engines to power up. Scroll wheel controls max speed/acceleration. Right clicking fires reverse thrusters (brakes). Ship parts with active abilities (weapons, boosters, barriers) are mapped to the Q/W/E/R/D/F keys. Ammunition/fuel in general are limited, so every second/shot of the battle counts.

http://youtu.be/PmvrlhKIahE?t=15m28s

the next five minutes of this clip are what i want to achieve in game form

http://johnsandoval.tumblr.com/post/45282514599/last-exile-character-designs-by-range-murata
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »

Armored Core with planes. A++

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »

From a puzzle standpoint that is interesting enough. But lets say for like a mobile game. Something you can play for a minute or two each run.

I see no reason to say that The Bridge won't get ported to mobile sooner or later. It just came out a handful of weeks ago for PC.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »

Sounds the same as "pitch your game topic" (just a bit up).

I have a couple of reaaallly half-baked ideas.

1. Insane Game
This is an art game. You just lead a normal life. It's first person. You have a to-do list. On the to-do list it has stuff like "pick up groceries", "pay rent", "call sally and tell her about Dad" etc. As you do the things on your to-do list, "strange" things happen. Like, when you go to the basement to do the laundry, you see a shadow on the wall of someone walking around. But when you get down there you don't find anything unusual. Then while you're eating breakfast, you look out the window to the house next door and notice someone who looks exactly like you and copies your movements, but after a while they get up and leave.

This stuff eventually gets weirder and weirder until it becomes a full-fledged horror game and you're running for your life.

Maybe you have "pills" which make you temporarily sane. If you take your pills, you can go through your routine and finish everything on time, and the game will just end, and you will have "won". If you don't take the pills weird shit happens. Depending on when you take pills and which tasks you accomplish, the game will have different branches.

2. Maze Game
It's a 3D maze (as in you go up and down levels) made of voxels (think minecraft). It's procedurally generated. You start in a room with a flashlight.There's a door behind you. A creature is banging on the door. After a few seconds it gets out and will start to follow you. You have to escape the maze. There are things you can do to confuse/slow the monster.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:37:27 PM by BleakProspects » Logged

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »

You just lead a normal life. It's first person. You have a to-do list. On the to-do list it has stuff like "pick up groceries", "pay rent", "call sally and tell her about Dad" etc. As you do the things on your to-do list, "strange" things happen. Like, when you go to the basement to do the laundry, you see a shadow on the wall of someone walking around.

I was going to poke fun and say at this point it transitions from an airy, mundane errand simulator into full survival horror mode out of nowhere, and then:

This stuff eventually gets weirder and weirder until it becomes a full-fledged horror game and you're running for your life.

Well, shit. I guess it's no surprise I think that's a fun idea.

The pill idea is reminiscent of Lone Survivor, which is always really cool and interesting to think back to and discuss.

Also, was the maze thing inspired by that one level in Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »

I see no reason to say that The Bridge won't get ported to mobile sooner or later. It just came out a handful of weeks ago for PC.

You misunderstand. Mobile game as in Jetpack Joyride, Monster Dash, Canabalt, Angry Birds, etc etc forever. Games that are specifically built for the mobile environment and are very quick and arcadey.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »

Oh, also this one!

Monster Game
You're a monster that lives in a cave outside a village. You need to eat villagers to survive, but you're not strong enough to take them on directly. You need to find weak/small villagers alone or at night. Over time you level up and become a more fearsome monster. If the villagers figure out where you are, they will come for you with torches and pitchforks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic